Next Tweed?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by unseen hand, Apr 15, 2015.

1. unseen hand

unseen hand Member

Hey Peeps….

My current amp I'm using these days is the Clark Tyger which is essentially a tweed bandmaster. Great amp, I love it….

Im looking to get something a little lighter and more portable for smaller gigs. I'm leaning towards something like the Fender Harvard which lead me to the Clark Webster and Victoria Ivy League. I was wondering i anyone had any experience with one or both of these amps. Comparisons would be wonderful.

From what I understand is that these amps are similar to the tweed duluxes but with a bit more headroom and tighter low end?

Thanks!

2. BFC

BFC Supporting Member

I have a Tyger and a Webster. The Webster has more headroom and tighter bass than a Deluxe for sure. Webster compared to the Tyger... That's tough. The Webster sounds like listening to someone playing a Tyger over an old time AM radio. It's a little smaller sounding and has more honk.

3. unseen hand

unseen hand Member

Perfect….Thanks for responding BFC….Let me ask you a question or two. Do you find the amps diverse enough to justify both? I love the Tyger and enjoy playing it at lower or higher volumes. If i'm playing at a lower volume i don't mind throwing a fuzz pedal to drive it if need be. Its just a pain in the butt to lug around sometimes for the smaller gigs…I'd also imagine that the webster might be a great recording amp. Also maybe a little thicker in the mids?

4. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

I would get a 5F11 tweed Vibrolux clone. Like a Harvard but has tremolo. And you can also put a 12" speaker in it's cabinet. I saw one for sale built by Marsh here in the amp emporium at a good price.

5. BFC

BFC Supporting Member

Yeah I love having both. The Webster is so fun to play. Very responsive to touch and to the guitar volume control. I recommend upgrading to the Celestion G10 Gold speaker in the Webster. Mine came with the stock Weber 10F125 and I didn't care for it. Swapped in the Gold and that was when I fell in love with the Webster.

6. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

I had a Tyger for years. Very cool amp. My smaller tweed now is one of the new EC tremoluxes. It looks like a tweed deluxe but is rather different. Probably more like one of the Vicky Ivy Leagues in terms of headroom. Fixed bias, with a ceramic speaker. I like this amp a lot.
    MD

7. Stu Cats

Stu Cats Member

8. mwhy

mwhy Supporting Member

9. es137p

es137p Supporting Member

had the Ivy League and Tyger, Tyger 60 plus pounds, Ivy League with 10" speaker, 18 lb.'s. I prefer the 12" version though, nice little amp, tighter low end than 5E3, more headroom, little thinner sounding. Very nice amp, reasonable volume, and will hang with drummer. Not crazy about the Eminence speaker, just my personal taste.

10. McQuade

McQuade Member

Tungsten makes great tweed

11. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

I bought the Tungsten Creama Wheat for this very reason. Wanted a small alternative to my heavier main amp. I like that the voicing is different not just bright and normal. It also has more clean headroom than a normal tweed deluxe.

12. TeletoneH137

TeletoneH137 Member

I owned a Richter Charm School for three years as my sole amp for home and gigs and it was phenomenal. It stayed clean so much longer than 5e3. I highly recommend it for your needs!

13. unseen hand

unseen hand Member

Oh, Man…..So many great replays and options. Time to do my research! Thanks everyone.

14. StratStringSlinger

StratStringSlinger Member

The Tweed Super might be the next logical step down. I think the Tweed Deluxe is too different/will break up too soon.

15. terrapin

terrapin Member

Richter's ROCK!

16. Guy from Idaho

Guy from Idaho Member

I'm the happy owner of that same amp now, and love the hell out of it. Have also owned both Richter and Victoria tweed deluxes, but the Charm School is my favorite of the bunch.

17. unseen hand

unseen hand Member

I like the idea of some of these smaller brands but how do you folks think they stack up to the likes of Victoria/Clark? Anyone compare. My Tyger sounds incredible so I'm willing to spend the extra bux if there is a marked difference.

18. kmcmichael

kmcmichael Member

19. unseen hand

unseen hand Member

Aren't those crazy expensive? Is there a less expensive alternative?

20. MrFuzzTone

MrFuzzTone Supporting Member

Tungsten Cortez sounds great.
    Also sounds great with a high end tone bender MKII in front of it or other great fuzz pedals.
    65 Amps Ventura is a very nice rock and roll amp with a good master volume control.