NFL: Tagliabue on Goodell

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Craig Walker, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Craig Walker

Craig Walker WHO DAT!! Gold Supporting Member

Seems Tags has plenty to say about the butthole running the NFL:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/26/tagliabue-gives-goodell-some-advice-indirectly/

http://mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-o...-goodell-could-have-avoided-season-from-hell-

The day he's gone I will throw a party.

2. Roark

Roark Member

He's making them a LOT of money, he'll be around for a while.

I'll be glad when he's gone too, unless they find someone worse.

3. Craig Walker

Craig Walker WHO DAT!! Gold Supporting Member

I'll just leave this here, for all the folks that interpreted Tag's ruling other ways back then:

Nails *exactly* what I said all along. I'll hold my breath on the line forming for those saying they were wrong...

Ya think??

4. Stratobuc

Stratobuc Member

Which pro sport has a "good" commissioner?

Of all them, I think Bettman is the worst.

5. jtm622

jtm622 Member

That guy is cut from a different bolt of cloth than "Kenesaw Mountain Landis", for sure...

6. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

I think Goodell was sending a message.
    Nothing wrong with that if players are out to injure others...like Suh for the Lions. Thug behavior should stop at some point.
    Not just NO...the whole league.
    Do I like Goodell...no. Do I hate Goodell...no. There could be worse folks at his position is my take.
    Bud Selig for example...

My .02,

S.
    j

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  7. Heinz57Pep

Heinz57Pep Member

Selig was worse, but he's gone now. Adam Silver got off on a good PR foot with his handling of the Sterling situation. The only blemish on Stern's record was the officiating scandal, but I'm not an NBA guy, so I may have missed something.

Yes, money is the top priority of a sports league commissioner, but Goodell is too arrogant, reactionary and disingenuous about it for my tastes. Not a fan of his.

8. sacakl

sacakl Silver Supporting Member

I was willing to give Goodell the benefit of the doubt before, but this year has been a little bit of a trainwreck, some of his own doing.

Agree that the players injuries and TBI will cast a cloud no matter what he does -- we seem to hear about former star players like Seau and Dorsett, but never about the guys who played for five years, mainly on special teams. There was an interview on NPR about a year ago with a former Seahawks player and his wife about the after effects, and made me feel really fortunate not having those issues after suffering a TBI in an accident. Really hit close to home during my recovery. My wife and I do struggle as to why we watch anymore, though.

9. THebert

THebert Member

Goodell plays favorites and that is clear. I am waiting to see if the 'should have known' standard will ever be applied to any other team besides NO.

10. dag2000

dag2000 Member

Selig stumbled early and went on to become an outstanding commissioner.

Ever since Curt Flood challenged the reserve clause, MLB has had the most consistently poisonous labor relations of any professional sport. Selig brokered trust between the MLBPA and owners. When the new labor agreement was reached in 2011, the reaction was "ho hum." If that was his only accomplishment, his tenure would have been a success.

But he also introduced revenue sharing and the luxury tax which helps small market teams like Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay, and Kansas City without having a meaningful impact on the profitability of such colossus teams like the Yankees, Red Sox, and Dodgers.

Revenue jumped 400%. Steroid testing has introduced and the league has been willing to suspend big stars (e.g., Ryan Braun). He certainly reacted too slowly to the use of PEDs, but that was a problem he inherited and ultimately made great strides in curtailing. Attendance levels are at an all time high. He introduced the wild card playoff format and instant replay.

I think Selig was a great commissioner, but by any standard he was very good.

Goodell has created more problems than he has solved.

11. jhc

jhc Senior Member

12. Slaphappy

Slaphappy Member

Lol!

13. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

Maybe Goodell and Bettman can hold hands and drive off a cliff together like Thelma and Louise.

14. ford

ford Supporting Member

Selig ignored the steroid issue for as long as he could.. he gets ZERO credit for finally getting testing done.. he never fought it hard because it was easier to turn his head....

He didn't officially become commissioner until 1998.. but he was in charge since 1992...

He made zero hard decisions... replay, just following other sports lead. Expanding the playoffs, again, not a difficult decision, and probably not his to start with.

He never should have been allowed to go from being an owner to commissioner.

The World Series is an after thought to TV viewers.. the ratings are terrible.. and have consistently slipped under Bud.. so have playoff ratings on TV... even after expanding the field

Not being able to go through with contracting two teams in the early 2000's.. it was his idea, it was the right thing to do..but he wasn't strong enough to get it done... the game would be better with two fewer teams.. meaning you get rid of the fifty worst players in the league..... all triple AAA talents at best. If he had done this, I'd respect his legacy much more, but he wimped out and had zero fight in him.

Allowing Frank McCourt to buy a team but not Mark Cuban... completely idiotic. We all know how well that turned out.

2002 All Star game fiasco

Making the All Star game count for home field... idiotic....its an exhibition. Players are shuffled in and out, some guys allowed to pitch, others aren't available... one of the dumbest decisions any commissioner has ever made.

Killing the 1994 World Series... only for baseball to be saved by the steroid era...which he was involved in all along.

His handling of the Astros last sale and forced move to the American League.. of course it would have been very easy to move the Milwaukee Brewers back to the league they had spent many years in... but of course not.. he's not going to do anything to Milwaukee...
    Instead he ignores the pleas of the new owner and the fan base.. he was never sympathetic... only acted like an ass and a bully. So the Astros and their fans lose fifty one years of National league tradition..

He wasn't close to being great...maybe adequate in my opinion. Only put in power when the owners... which he was one of... didn't have the courage to give someone real power.. Selig was simply a puppet.

15. jtm622

jtm622 Member

Exactly...
    The Astros ownership is very similar to the poor bastard that was just barely able to scrape up enough money to buy a used Ferrari, but then lacked the money to pay the high "maintenance" bills on the damn thing... They've become the laughingstock of the league...

It's a totally disgusting travesty...

16. Route234

Route234 Member

Selig was an inept fool, a clown of a commissioner who has overseen the fall of baseball from #1 to a distant 2nd or 3rd place as a top sport. That is what losers do. The way the media has glossed over his colossal failures as a leader is almost a tragedy. When I watched the ESPN special on him after he retired I simply could not believe how they literally rewrote history to make him into some powerhouse genius of a commissioner who ruled the world. It was one of the silliest specials in the history of the channel and they have done many cringe worthy specials over the years. I dont know a single baseball fan who likes Selig at all.

17. Route234

Route234 Member

And the only worse commissioner than Selig or Bettman has been Goodell.

18. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

I am literally LOLing at the idea that either Selig or Goodell were/are not absolutely HORRIBLE at running their respective leagues.

19. Roark

Roark Member

20. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Silver Supporting Member