NGB: Gustavsson Bluesmaster Limited w/P90's

NorthernAxposure

Gold Supporting Member
Almost one year ago almost to the day, I reached out to the seller of a Gustavsson Fullerblaster prototype on Reverb and we ended up trading. It turned out to be Matte Henderson (JG sales/partner + futuristic guitar player extraordinaire) who has been like a shaman through the wonderful world of small instrument builders. In the past 12 months, I've been fortunate to own/play a number of Gustavsson's (in no small part to working from home due to covid in an office that doubles as a guitar room) and get a sense of some of the ingredients that work for me.

So back in September 2020, I started a custom order for a Fullerblaster that eventually became a Dotmaster order. When it looked like that lead time might end up being pretty substantial, I switched it in January 2021 to a combination that I really loved when I first tried a chambered '54 style gold top Bluesmaster with p90's. So about 5 months later, my Bluesmaster is assembled and getting closer to shipping. It's a chambered Limited model with a roasted maple top, CITES braz board, Ron Ellis p90's, and a neck carve modeled after my favorite Bluesmaster I've played to date (a solid 2014 humbucker BM). I really like the sonic combination of chambering with the underwound Ron Ellis p90's (these pickups were installed in and came out of the aforementioned chambered gold top).

I'll post some sound clips once I get the guitar but here are some pictures from the build process!

NorthernAxposure

Gold Supporting Member
Spectacular!!!
I have a Bluesmaster with P90s and another one with HB.
The P90s is my favorite.
Congrats!!!
Thanks! I have generally preferred the p90 Bluesmasters as well because you can get a ton of versatility, especially with underwound pickups. That said, I had an all mahogany Bluesmaster with p90's that was as aggressive/raw as any humbucker Bluesmaster I have played.

NorthernAxposure

Gold Supporting Member
Congrats on the guitar — I’m sure it will live up to your very high expectations!!

What Komet cab is that, and why does it look WAY smaller than my 2x12? I wish mine was shorter like that and that also looks a bit deeper.
I'm not sure which of the Komet cab models it is. It's what I received when asking for a 2x12 from Komet about a year ago. It's loaded with Celestion Heritage G1265 speakers that I love. The form factor works well but looks silly when I put the giant Metropoulos 45/100 head on top (but sounds great!).

wsaraceni

Silver Supporting Member
pretty awesome. the only time I ever played a gustavsson was one of matte's. was an amazing guitar. he was so excited about it too. he probably doesn't even remember, but it was at lark street. he was behind the counter chatting with the owner of the shop I was walking around. I said hi, told him I knew of him from the forums here, introduced myself. he practically jumped over the counter opening the case shoving this gustavsson in my hand.

first of all, im not a very good guitar player
second of all, im an even worse guitar player playing in front of people
third of all, im even worse than that when the person im playing in front of had matte's skills. hahaha

anyways, that thing was great. very few guitars ive ever played have come close. I don't ever want to play one that good again. I have a custom shop R8. I love it. ive played a ton of Les Pauls and I like this as much as any of them. I don't need a gustavsson to ruin it for me

jiml

Gold Supporting Member
pretty awesome. the only time I ever played a gustavsson was one of matte's. was an amazing guitar. he was so excited about it too. he probably doesn't even remember, but it was at lark street. he was behind the counter chatting with the owner of the shop I was walking around. I said hi, told him I knew of him from the forums here, introduced myself. he practically jumped over the counter opening the case shoving this gustavsson in my hand.

third of all, im even worse than that when the person im playing in front of had matte's skills. hahaha

anyways, that thing was great. very few guitars ive ever played have come close. I don't ever want to play one that good again. I have a custom shop R8. I love it. ive played a ton of Les Pauls and I like this as much as any of them. I don't need a gustavsson to ruin it for me
Dang, would love to have been there...

I know the owner of Lark Street, and have interacted with Matte a few times over the years, both are stand up guys with a huge knowledge of gear, old and new...

NorthernAxposure

Gold Supporting Member

That's a great story! I thought about creating a YouTube channel titled "great gear played poorly," so I can relate. The benefit of larger guitar makers is that you can go to a physical store, play 10 similar guitars and pick the one that works best for you. I suppose what I've appreciated about the Gustavssons I've owned/played is that all are very good and some are extraordinary. So when buying a guitar from across the country/world without playing first, I like my chances at getting a guitar that I'll really like.

mxk116

Gold Supporting Member
Just saw this on Instagram, is this the same guitar? Really exceptional looking instrument and no doubt plays better than it looks!