NGD: '05 Squier 51

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by cam.man67, Jan 28, 2015.

1. cam.man67

cam.man67 Member

And in Butterscotch Blonde no less!:) snagged this one off the 'Bay after losing a bid on another '05 '51 in Sunburst.

And what a geetar! I can definitely see why this guitar has such cult status...for the price, it's an overachiever for sure.:) the neck feels great in-hand, not nearly as bad as the last Bullet Strat I played.;) there are a few fret ends that need some attention, but that's minor. I can get the action surprisingly low, too!

I guess it makes sense, part of this guitar's appeal is its friendliness to mods...so what on the horizon?

Here's the plan:
    -Replace the horribly cheap bridge (this guitar's worst feature) for something better
    -swap the neck pup for a GFS Lipstick...stock neck pup isn't bad, but I sorta bought this guitar to try out a lipstick, so we'll see.;)
    -swap the bridge pup (PO put in a Duncan JB) for a GFS Surf 90.
    -since I won't need the push-pull volume knob for coil splitting, I'm going to retask that for either series/parallel, or a tone switch a la Gretsch style. Not sure at this point.;)

...and that's it! :) Squier/Fender really knocked it out of the park with this one!

2. OiRogers

OiRogers Member

I had a burst finished one for several years... picked it up on clearance for like 80$ NIB.

I sold it like a moron a few years back.:anon

It is one of the few guitars I've parted with I actually regret selling.

3. geodr

geodr Member

I have a burst from that time frame and did three pretty inexpensive mods that really improved the guitar:
    1) replaced the nut with a precut tusq nut
    2) removed the saddles, drilled the back of the existing bridge to accept three brass tele saddle (so called "bubba mod")
    3) replaced the neck pickup with a GFS strat pickup

Total cost of mods about $60. Really fun to play now and sounds great. Happy with the bridge bucker, and still deciding whether to change the wiring - maybe not.

4. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

I think I was watching that auction. Sounds like a nice one.

5. ballhawk

ballhawk Supporting Member

Pass that bag over to me. I liked the 51 so much when it came out that i paid full price for one. I now have two of them. The second one I got from a guy who really butchered some mods so, in the long run, my average price was also low.

6. cam.man67

cam.man67 Member

..aaaaannnnd we're back--this time with a pic!

[​IMG]

As an aside, I cannot stand the JB..way to middy and compressed. Ick...