NGD: 1949 blonde Gibson ES-5

Discussion in '"Vintage" Instruments' started by 58dutchie, Dec 28, 2017.

1. 58dutchie

58dutchie Member

Hi there,

Treated myself for Christmas and got me a 1949 ES-5N, a blonde beauty! She sounds and plays really good, in fact she looks and sounds exactly like this:

Like I said in another thread, there is a name and address written under the trussrod cover: Irvin F. Lynn of 97 Saint Joseph Avenue in Buffalo, New York. I would love to get in touch with him, can anyone please help? Or a younger relative of mr. Lynn perhaps? The dealer where the guitar was for sale (in Rochester, NY) said that they had the guitar from a guy that bought it new in 'upstate New York'...so that could be correct! And now the guitar is in Europe!

Enjoy the pics! By the way, what do you think the darker spot is (left of the knobs)? My guess is that it's from a cigarette (someone turning the knobs while holding a burning cigarette).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. DeVilleDude

DeVilleDude Member

Another amazing blonde Gibson thread. Beautiful guitar, and congratulations.

My guess on the spot near the controls is someone tried to seal what appears to be a small gouge/scratch In the wood with some sort of tinted varnish or shellac that has now aged orange in color.

Flotsam, DBBlues and Madguitrst like this.
  3. 58dutchie

58dutchie Member

I guess that's possible! But I also still believe in my cigarette-theory (it's a cooler theory anyway, haha)

DBBlues and DeVilleDude like this.
  4. bossaddict

bossaddict Supporting Member

That looks fantastic! Congrats!

DBBlues likes this.
  5. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

I always wanted one like that. I could never throw down the dough. That's what happens to a guy who lives too cautiously!

bibir and DBBlues like this.
  6. BMF Effects

BMF Effects Supporting Member

The last guitar on my bucket list, congrats!

7. kevmin

kevmin Supporting Member

I am extremely jealous! That is one of my dream guitars! I love the cigarette theory, and I would go with that. But that appears to be the perfect spot for a Bigsby to make a mark. Perhaps one was used on this for a while? I would look for extra holes at the end of the body to verify. But honestly, I don't think guitars ever look cooler than that one. Different perhaps, but that guitar is smoking, whether that is a ciggy burn or not.

SnidelyWhiplash, DBBlues and Flotsam like this.
  8. rockinrobby

rockinrobby Senior member Professional musician ... Gold Supporting Member

Man!! Thats a sweeeeeeeeeet ES-5 I trust your a bit Bigger then Kid Ramos those 17" Jazz Box guitars are deep and big however, if your looking for that perfect T-Bone waker tone thats the guitar!!!

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
    DBBlues likes this.
  9. djd100

djd100 Member

NICE!

DBBlues likes this.
  10. Badstrat

Badstrat Member

That looks really nice. Looks to be in pretty good shape. I bet that cost you a pretty penny or two.

DBBlues likes this.
  11. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

WOW!!! Amazing! Congrats on that score!

DBBlues likes this.
  12. JeffHaddad

JeffHaddad Supporting Member

That’s a gorgeous guitar - congrats!

DBBlues likes this.
  13. Flotsam

Flotsam Member

I'll second the B6 Bigsby theory. That mark is right where the pivot point of the arm would sit. There is usually a felt pad under this point, perhaps there was a reaction with the lacquer?

Congrats on the great guitar!

DBBlues likes this.
  14. 58dutchie

58dutchie Member

No, it's not...I have a B6 Bigsby and checked it: the mark is too high on the guitar/too close to the bridge to be from a Bigsby...it's not the right spot!

Flotsam and DBBlues like this.
  15. 58dutchie

58dutchie Member

Wow, it just got even cooler! There's also a message hidden inside the guitar! It says that Irvin Lynn bought the guitar on October 29, 1949, at the Wurlitzer company in Buffalo, NY, for the price of $390,00 !!! I just love these things!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fatboy666, grantaustin, JAP09 and 6 others like this.
  16. 58dutchie

58dutchie Member

By the way, since these P90's have nickel polepieces where they should be gold (ES-5 officially has gold hardware, but I've seen more ES-5's with nickel polepieces), can you all please take a look if these pickups, pots and cap look original to you (end 40's)? The pickups (all three of them) have these typical black-white-black bobbins; I have seen those before but only on pre-1950 P90's, so that's a good sign! Furthermore, the pots are IRC (0.5 meg) but I can't read the date codes (solder on it)...but they look 'end 40s' to me...only thing I cannot really see well is the capacitor...is there someone who can recognize it? It looks to me like some paper in oil cap...could be 40's, don't know. The pickup covers don't have any markings on the underside and that is also correct for the very early ones if I'm not mistaken. All solder looks to be original.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

slimdave, DBBlues and DaveNJ like this.
  17. Ferret

Ferret Supporting Member

Lovely looking guitar. I'll have to content myself with it's little brother, the Epiphone Zephyr Blues, with better pups and vintage style harness of course.

DBBlues likes this.
  18. DaveNJ

DaveNJ Member

Oatie, 56Tweed and DBBlues like this.
  19. DaveNJ

DaveNJ Member

Wow, same address as 1949!

Oatie and DBBlues like this.
  20. tapeworm

tapeworm Supporting Member

This is a holy grail type guitar right here. WOW. would love to play just one set with it! Like Ferret, I have to settle for my Epiphone Zephyr Blues Deluxe!

DBBlues likes this.