NGD - 1959 Les Paul (player grade-tastic)

Seafoam Green

... but not a 'burst, no :)

This is as "player grade" as it gets. 1959 LP Jr, refin in TV yellow (so far so normal), but then converted to a Special, with the addition of neck pickup (an original '59 P90 to match the bridge one), additional controls, and pickup selector switch. Has two dogears instead of correct soapbars, but dogears are MUCH cooler anyway.

Needs new frets in the not too distant future, but plays and sounds great, with a wonderfully chunky '59 neck. I'm pretty pleased with it.

nl128

Gold Supporting Member
Oh wow, that's a pretty badass junior.

I would have been all over that too

Do you have any pics of the back ?

Bobby D

that's an awesome guitar - my favorite was like that too - Chris Whitley had a 58 Les Paul Junior that had been modded to a Special in TV Yellow, and I loved that guitar.....

JPIndustrie

Silver Supporting Member
awesome... i bet still feels light and crisp like all those vintage guitars do...

Like others have said, I'd be all over that too. Actually makes the JR playable now with the 2 pickups and gosh darnit isn't that the whole point?

Seafoam Green

Thanks for the kind words. It's an awesome guitar indeed :)

Awesome guitar. Any issues with the selector switch being so close the the volume knobs?
Dunno yet, I haven't gigged it but it's going out for the first time tomorrow, so I'll let you know.

that's an awesome guitar - my favorite was like that too - Chris Whitley had a 58 Les Paul Junior that had been modded to a Special in TV Yellow, and I loved that guitar.....
Wow I didn't know that, just looked it up. His was a singlecut but otherwise same concept. Cool.

awesome... i bet still feels light and crisp like all those vintage guitars do...

Like others have said, I'd be all over that too. Actually makes the JR playable now with the 2 pickups and gosh darnit isn't that the whole point?
It does feel great. The neck pickup is in the "wrong" place so has a unique sound. Kinda in between a neck and a middle pickup. I'm actually mostly a bridge pickup guy anyway (hey I play honky tonkin' country music), and I love single-pickup guitars (traded a 1960 Junior for this) but I just love the look of the two dogears, TV yellow is majorly cool, and this has a nicer neck than the '60.

Very nice. Would love to hear how it sounds :)
I'll post some up if anyone records us at the gig tomorrow.

Seafoam Green

they are just GREAT guitars - and are one of the only affordable ways to get a 50s era LP style plank for the playing musicians....
Precisely. While the guitar was far from cheap, it costs far less than an R7/8/9. I know it's not the same thing, but it's a hell of a lot more interesting to me. There's a lot of really great and usable vintage gear out there - if you're willing to compromise a bit on originality, looks, and features - that costs about Custom Shop money, or less. I know that's still a lot of money, but it's far from the astronomical sums prime vintage guitars cost.

Trending Topics