• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

NGD: 1960 Gretsch 6131 Jet Firebird

JAP09

Silver Supporting Member
My first NGD in the vintage section! I stumbled upon an old Gretsch that caught my eye and ended up taking the plunge. First ever vintage guitar. As best I can tell, and the Gretsch experts in the Gretsch forums seem to agree, the guitar is all original except for the TV Powertron in the bridge and one rear cavity cover that I replaced. I have the original bridge pickup in the case and I'm going to get it rewound. It has a few scars and needs a binding job, but it plays and sounds great!

Here's a little blues noodle with a Sunface>Supro 1600

Jack Daniels

Oh yeah! I have a 55 6121, and working on a 56 Silver Jet. Next I want a red firebird or the bad ass duo jet. Maybe both.

WordMan

Gold Supporting Member
You and that guitar sound great! It really suits you. What a great acquisition!!

JAP09

Silver Supporting Member
You and that guitar sound great! It really suits you. What a great acquisition!!
Thank you sir, what a great compliment! I try to retain my objectivity when any new (or new old) guitar arrives. For most of us, every guitar is awesome when you're on the honeymoon. Admittedly, I'm growing attached to this thing very quickly though. That's only ever happened with two other guitars, my HD-28 and Les Paul, and they’re two of the three best guitars I own.

THAT IS BAD ASS!!!!
:dude

Drew816

Silver Supporting Member
Very nice. I have a '55 Round-Up with Dyna's and a '62 Jet w Filters. These guitars can cover a heck of a lot of ground, and you sound great and right at home with your '60 (both of which I've owned for quite a few years...).

Not sure who to recommend on an original Filter re-wind, ask TV Jones himself and see if he has any ideas or can assist. They're great people to deal with w/ awesome products. AND once that's done, brush up on your AC/DC as you will be shocked what a vintage Filter in a vintage Gretsch will do, Malcolm all day long.

Enjoy in good health!

:phones:bow:rockin

JAP09

Silver Supporting Member
Very nice. I have a '55 Round-Up with Dyna's and a '62 Jet w Filters. These guitars can cover a heck of a lot of ground, and you sound great and right at home with your '60 (both of which I've owned for quite a few years...).

Not sure who to recommend on an original Filter re-wind, ask TV Jones himself and see if he has any ideas or can assist. They're great people to deal with w/ awesome products. AND once that's done, brush up on your AC/DC as you will be shocked what a vintage Filter in a vintage Gretsch will do, Malcolm all day long.

Enjoy in good health!

:phones:bow:rockin
Thanks so much Drew! I bet both of those guitars are awesome. A '55 round up is little more than a pipe dream for me, but if I ever get the chance I'd love to own one. If you have a photo of it, please post it so we can see it!

I did reach out to TV. They don't do rewinds, and suggested I reach out to Lindy Fralin. Unfortunately Fralin is backed up from COVID and isn't accepting new rewinds either. I came across a guy named Tom Brantley and called him. He said he's done many of those old filtertrons, so my plan is to send it off to him. TGP reviews of Tom's services appeared favorable, so hopefully he'll do a great job for me. There's no doubt the ole Jet rocks very hard, even with (maybe especially with) the powertron. Played it at a session last night for a rhythm track and it sounded noice. :phones

zhivago

If I could add a fifth vintage guitar to my small collection, it would be a guitar like this. Very, very cool!

:cool:

Sampler

Silver Supporting Member
WOW. that sounds insane through the Supro...Congrats man, and thanks for sharing your NGD with us!

JAP09

Silver Supporting Member
Tom Brantley is the guy for rewinding vintage pickups, especially the more unusual models.
Awesome! I appreciate that feedback because I was still a wee bit apprehensive. Not because I've heard anything negative at all, I was just unfamiliar with his services until now.

JAP09

Silver Supporting Member
Really appreciate the kudos and encouragement y'all. It means a lot, cause I'm pretty darn excited about how this process has come together. For anyone interested in it, I've done a few minimally invasive things to get it playing at it's full potential.

I made that replacement cavity cover out of some black pickguard material. The old pots were corroded, the caps were leaky, and the little metal keeper on one side of the mud switch was broken and the switch was flappin' in the breeze. I was able to clean the pots with deoxit, fix the original tone switch, and replace the caps. I also ran cloth wire in place of the original wiring harness. I didn't WANT to do that, but the wiring was too sketchy for me to trust it in a session. Electronics are clean and gig ready now. The frets were also very flat and actually fret slots 16-22 were cut in the wrong place relative to the 24.6" scale length. I guess no one played up there in 1960? Who knows. I was able to recrown them and actually cheat the crown over to the correct spot. That, along with a replacement AOM bridge/base has brought the intonation into spec as well. It was fun to give it a little love because I think it had spent a very long time in the case. I'm completely down to binding and pickup rewind now. After that it should be ready for another 60 years!

Trending Topics