NGD 1965 Jazzmaster!

Discussion in '"Vintage" Instruments' started by Stratoben127, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Stratoben127

Stratoben127 Supporting Member

Got this all original (minus strap buttons) late 1965 Jazzmaster today. Neck is dated Dec 13 and it has binding, pearl dots, and a large headstock. For some reason somebody gently sanded off the patent numbers below the logo but all of the finish on the headstock and neck is original.

I have a Mastery on the way for it, and I may take it in for a fret dress but it already plays great. I was only able to plug it in at semi-low volumes through my ‘64 Deluxe Reverb and it sounds incredible. Much woodier and fuller sounding than my Strat.

I’m really thrilled with this purchase. It’s my first time buying a vintage guitar that isn’t somewhat “player grade.” I got the guitar from a collector who got it from the original owner in the late 90s and I feel like I got a pretty good deal. I definitely see this taking over my #1 spot!

2. Mr Fingers

Mr Fingers Member

I love the sunbursts from that era. You may not need the Mastery trem as reputedly some of those older models have a stiffer spring that holds tuning OK though the Mastery bridge is a necessity for all, IMO. Congratulations on the purchase -- it really looks beautiful, and you can just see how thin and nice that dry old finish is!

Stratoben127 likes this.
  3. Stratoben127

Stratoben127 Supporting Member

It holds tune incredibly well but needs a Mastery to get rid of some of the buzz and to keep the strings held in place better.

Edit: misread this entirely. I’m just getting the bridge.

4. HelloKittyHawk!

HelloKittyHawk! Member

Nice!

By the way, they didn't stamp the day, just the month and the year.
    "13" is the model code for Jazzmaster.

GGinMP likes this.
  5. bossaddict

bossaddict Supporting Member

Very nice. Congrats!

6. zacmac

zacmac Supporting Member

Before you swap the to the mastery try a round core nickel string like DR Pure Blues. They add a lot of sustain but kill the vintage fender sound (kind of like brass saddles on a tele be an American standard 6 saddle)

I’ve had two early 65’s and a mid 66’ and balancing the neck pickup darkness and bridge pickup brightness can be tricky but the middle position is better than any other fender design imo. Pure nickel round core strings take the edge off of the bridge pickup.

7. dunnoaname

dunnoaname Member

Wow, beautiful guitar. It looks very clean!