NGD: 1975 Ibanez "Destroyer"

smilefan

Made from late '75 thru early '78, by Ibanez, before Gibson filed suit against the parent company,
Hoshino Corporation. This is a close copy (apparently too close for Gibson's taste) of a '58 Explorer,
with the exception that Japanese "Sen" Ash, a highly figured wood, was used in place of African Korina wood.
From playing this, I can say the tone of this wood is somewhere in the range between Alder and Korina.
I like it better than mahogany Gibson Explorers, sonically. Its got a more high-mid centered tone.

Besides being a true "Lawsuit" guitar, these guitars were put 'on the map' by none other than EVH.
As I understand it, Eddie's Destroyer was used for all the rhythm tracks on albums I & II.

Currently loaded with a Duncan '59'er in the neck and a vintage Bill Lawrence XL500 in the bridge.
I am considering setting this up, cosmetically, like a '58 Explorer, with all gold hardware. The original
tuners suck. The soft zinc bridge and stop tail, suck. Any suggestions for upgrades? I'd like not to have
to drill new holes in that virgin headstock, for machine head stabilizer screws. Not sure about the
existing pups, yet. The original "Super 70" pups are long gone.

edit 05/24/22 - apparently this is a '75, not a '76 (hand written serial no. in the control cavity ID's it as from the 1st production run of Destroyers!)

beauty.jpg

back1.jpg

complete2.jpg

complete3.jpg

orig tuners.jpg

Last edited:

gutshank

Man, that is HAWT! Enjoy your HNGD!
How are these tuners held in place? I can't see any screws, are these similar to Fender pin-style tuners?

Edit:
Ok, I'll answer my own question. These are Gotoh tuners:
They have a small pin which fits into an index hole on the back of the headstock. These are different from the 2-pin ones used by Fender. Unfortunately, I know no alternatives.

Last edited:

smilefan

Man, that is HAWT! Enjoy your HNGD!
How are these tuners held in place? I can't see any screws, are these similar to Fender pin-style tuners?

Edit:
Ok, I'll answer my own question. These are Gotoh tuners:
They have a small pin which fits into an index hole on the back of the headstock. These are different from the 2-pin ones used by Fender. Unfortunately, I know no alternatives.
Thanks for the info on those tuners. Searching for a modern, high ratio tuner replacement for them, such that I don't have to drill any holes for stabilizing screws.

gutshank

Thanks for the info on those tuners. Searching for a modern, high ratio tuner replacement for them, such that I don't have to drill any holes for stabilizing screws.
I'm afraid it may prove to be a fool's errand. The only modern tuners with indexing pins I am aware of are those used by Fender (and FMIC companies, e.g. Charvel), but these are 2-pin tuners. The tuners with a single indexing pin in the center may no longer be manufactured.

Even GraphTech mounting plates are unavailable in that format.

stien

Sonic Idiot
Silver Supporting Member
Made from late '75 thru early '78, by Ibanez, before Gibson filed suit against the parent company,
Hoshino Corporation. This is a close copy (apparently too close for Gibson's taste) of a '58 Explorer,
with the exception that Japanese "Sen" Ash, a highly figured wood, was used in place of African Korina wood.
From playing this, I can say the tone of this wood is somewhere in the range between Alder and Korina.
I like it better than mahogany Gibson Explorers, sonically. Its got a more high-mid centered tone.

Besides being a true "Lawsuit" guitar, these guitars were put 'on the map' by none other than EVH.
As I understand it, Eddie's Destroyer was used for all the rhythm tracks on albums I & II.

Currently loaded with a Duncan '59'er in the neck and a vintage Bill Lawrence XL500 in the bridge.
I am considering setting this up, cosmetically, like a '58 Explorer, with all gold hardware. The original
tuners suck. The soft zinc bridge and stop tail, suck. Any suggestions for upgrades? I'd like not to have
to drill new holes in that virgin headstock, for machine head stabilizer screws. Not sure about the

View attachment 600263
View attachment 600264
View attachment 600265
View attachment 600266

View attachment 600274
Man that’s cool.

Why not try the hipshot UMP? Doesn’t require screwing in as long as the shaft diameters match.

wraub

Truly wonderful guitar, enjoy. :)
If mine, I'd also upgrade everything and save the replaced parts carefully.

As for tuners, the first thing that comes to mind would be something like the old Grover reversible tuners, with the Star Back. I have a set like this on a 70s MIJ Strat copy, and they're excellent imo.

They look like this-
1652794793493.png

1652794843985.png

They're not super commonly seen, but can still be found. Maybe a newer alternative is available.

C-4

View attachment 600263
View attachment 600264
View attachment 600265
View attachment 600266

View attachment 600274
Nice piece! I bought one when they first came out.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom