NGD: 1975 Ibanez "Destroyer"

smilefan

Seems everybody in my band thinks I should go for the '58 Explorer gold hardware look.
Hipshot lockers with the adapter plates, and probably Gotoh bridge/stoptail
(readily available here in Asia). I'll post up pics when its done. It'll look like this:

279313790_318462283783084_199043158344672512_n.jpg

dumbell78

Great score, be it 15 years ago lol. I picked up its cousin a few months back. Mine is a 78 Aria Pro II with similar Sen Ash body. I still have the original electronics but I did install a DiMarzio Super distortion in the bridge. Really happy with the guitar and also think my LP isnt really needed since I picked this up a few months back. Also agree with the rest, the Hip Shot tuners are easy and a no brainier for tuner upgrades.

76standard

Made from late '75 thru early '78, by Ibanez, before Gibson filed suit against the parent company,
Hoshino Corporation. This is a close copy (apparently too close for Gibson's taste) of a '58 Explorer,
with the exception that Japanese "Sen" Ash, a highly figured wood, was used in place of African Korina wood.
From playing this, I can say the tone of this wood is somewhere in the range between Alder and Korina.
I like it better than mahogany Gibson Explorers, sonically. Its got a more high-mid centered tone.

Besides being a true "Lawsuit" guitar, these guitars were put 'on the map' by none other than EVH.
As I understand it, Eddie's Destroyer was used for all the rhythm tracks on albums I & II.

Currently loaded with a Duncan '59'er in the neck and a vintage Bill Lawrence XL500 in the bridge.
I am considering setting this up, cosmetically, like a '58 Explorer, with all gold hardware. The original
tuners suck. The soft zinc bridge and stop tail, suck. Any suggestions for upgrades? I'd like not to have
to drill new holes in that virgin headstock, for machine head stabilizer screws. Not sure about the
existing pups, yet. The original "Super 70" pups are long gone.

View attachment 600263
View attachment 600264
View attachment 600266

View attachment 600274
Nice. Regarding the tuners. Remove one and see how they are affixed to the headstock. Some have two metal pegs that fit into mounting holes on the headstock. Since I don’t see mounting screws my first assumption might be right.

Tone Pros hardware is really good if you are going to replace the tail piece and bridge. Good luck with your quest for replacement parts. Going with gold hardware might limit your choices, though.

ccc

SFG! I'm currently building a long scale Explorer (Spec'd from an original '58 Explorer that I was able to outline - Mike Parker's original '58 Explorer). It's a 2 piece body, and 1 piece neck (all Corina) at 25.5 scale. Body is near 2" thick with 3/4" two piece maple top. I just need to seal the body and finish it (light cherry back with sunburst top w/matching sunburst peg head). Explores are the best looking rock guitar bodies....
Love to know how on earth you managed to get a two piece 3/4 " maple top and a 2" thick Korina body . I can't find those things anywhere nobody offers them.

ccc

A JB isn't a bad suggestion! I've had a chance to play this with my band, and the Duncan '59'er neck sounded unexpectedly great, at least in this guitar. That's a pickup I would normally regard as, "plain vanilla". So maybe a JB would work well. I tend to regard JB's as a classic "one trick pony", but we'll see.

I was excited to try out the Lawrence XL500 (made famous by Dimebag Darrell and Nuno Bettencourt).
But my impression is (in this guitar, at least), that its a bit crude. All blasting power, no finesse. Lacking the touch sensitivity of some of the better, modern high gain'ers. These were one of the first very high gain pickups on the market. So, I'm sure it was a revelation for its time, but I need something I can control better with pick pressure.

Jim Gaustad is the man who knows what pickups Eddie used in the Destroyer and on all Van Halens early albums . He has the tone down pat and has pickups that sound identical to what the original Destroyer guitar sounded like .

76standard

OBTW, something to know about your bridge….. An ABR or Nashville style bridge will not work as a replacement on your guitar. Your guitars bridge has larger adjusting screws and mounting holes on the bridge that won’t work with an ABR or Nashville style bridge. Measure the center to center spacing between the two adjusting screws and determine the diameter of the adjusting screw holes on the bridge to know what to order. Foreign made guitars often use metric dimension parts so don’t be surprised if dimensions are shown in millimeters when researching a suitable replacement.

smilefan

OBTW, something to know about your bridge….. An ABR or Nashville style bridge will not work as a replacement on your guitar. Your guitars bridge has larger adjusting screws and mounting holes on the bridge that won’t work with an ABR or Nashville style bridge. Measure the center to center spacing between the two adjusting screws and determine the diameter of the adjusting screw holes on the bridge to know what to order. Foreign made guitars often use metric dimension parts so don’t be surprised if dimensions are shown in millimeters when researching a suitable replacement.
This is true. Fortunately for me, Japanese-made Gotoh parts are easy to get here in Asia, and will retrofit the existing metric sized bridge/stoptail mounts exactly.

ccc

So sick. I'm a huge Explorer fan. HNGD!!

I think I'd love to try one of these some day if I'm ever ready to pull the trigger on an Explorer-style guitar.

Mind sharing what you paid?

I think the chances of finding a real Destroyer from the 70's at a somewhat affordable price is slim to none these days . The ones I've seen are listed at a minimum of 4K .

They skyrocketed in price after Eddie death , all Gibson Explorer models have also jumped . Used ones are listed at twice the price of brand new ones but you can't find any new Explorers these days backordered everywhere.

shred-NOT

Color me jealous.

when I was in my late teens there was a kid living next door to my dad who played guitar, when I was spending weekends there I'd here him jamming in the garage playing The Babys, Aerosmith, Zeppelin, Sabbath, Cream, etc.. we became friends, he was in bands & taught me alot of guitar and I would tech for him when he played all around LA a few years later, we'd gig the Music Machine, Al's bar, The Central/ (The Viper Room), Lava lounge, Hollywood StreetScene festival every year..
Steve had one of these same Ibanez Destroyers and he could make it sing!!! I always loved that guitar and playing it at his place. dreamed of gettign gtood enough to justify owning one.....

I lost track of Steve LONG ago,.. (..if yr out there Steve Young, from Woodland Hills, Calif. Its Eddie Granado from nxt door, hit me up!! ;-) ) I hope & pray he is alive and well somewhere, and since last year I've been obsessing over all the explorer / destroyers and knockoffs as prob. my next purchase. So tempted to buy something that looks good for 500 or less, but I think I'm just gunna have to hold out save up and find a destroyer.

Congrats that one is a beauty! I'll have one some day ;-)

Last edited:

Stike

Disclaimer. I own a 79 IC400 and definitely would not turn my nose up at any lawsuit era Ibanez.

Now...anyone else slightly amused (or befuddled) by the fact that people are going ape over guitars made with multiple piece bodies and a polyester finish?

CaptainAhab

The answer to your questions is in the post directly above yours.

Found - Voltage Guitars on "Guitar Row" in Hollywood.
Paid - $800

That was about 15 years ago. I have owned this guitar for years but it was sitting
in a recording studio in Portland, OR for 10 years, since I've been in Asia, and just got the studio
owner to return the guitar to me.
Thank you for replying. My brother is going to be super envious when I tell him! He's been searching for the last 6-7yrs for one that was reasonably priced. A few years ago he was late on an all original for $2300. In the few minutes while he thought about it someone snagged it.
I just showed him your pics today & he recounted his story of losing out & now with EVH passing the guitar has skyrocketed in price.
You have a beautiful instrument & I'm a little green with envy.
Have a good weekend!

madmarcus1960

Silver Supporting Member
This is what I's use. They come with mounting plates that allow for no use of stabilization screws. The brackets are universal and will hold the tuners in place. The also lock with a thumbscrew.
I have different varieties of Hipshot lockers on all my guitars

ducker 1

I remember when those came out and a Friend of mine bought one. I thought it sounded and played better than my 73 LP Custom.

Fo0zle

Silver Supporting Member
I think the chances of finding a real Destroyer from the 70's at a somewhat affordable price is slim to none these days . The ones I've seen are listed at a minimum of 4K .

They skyrocketed in price after Eddie death , all Gibson Explorer models have also jumped . Used ones are listed at twice the price of brand new ones but you can't find any new Explorers these days backordered everywhere.
Well dang.

Guess I’ll just have to build one!

Reactions: ccc

sinasl1

These guitars are REALLY fun, I adore mine. At about 11 min, in this vid, you can hear me use a few different pickup types in mine. Overall I love the pickups mine came with which are a PAF-style TV Jones set, bridge pickup is around 8.3 k. But the Dimarzio SD is instant "You Really Got Me" tone!

ccc

Well dang.

Guess I’ll just have to build one!

Good luck finding that magical Sen ash which in reality isn't ash or related to ash at all . Nothing quite has that specific tone that I could find . Sounds incredible with all types of pickups.

wraub

Good luck finding that magical Sen ash which in reality isn't ash or related to ash at all . Nothing quite has that specific tone that I could find . Sounds incredible with all types of pickups.

I have a Sen Strat copy from the 70s, and a MIJ Squier P Bass from '83 that's Sen also. It definitely has a thing. :)

Sean French

Silver Supporting Member
The answer to your questions is in the post directly above yours.

Found - Voltage Guitars on "Guitar Row" in Hollywood.
Paid - $800

That was about 15 years ago. I have owned this guitar for years but it was sitting
in a recording studio in Portland, OR for 10 years, since I've been in Asia, and just got the studio
owner to return the guitar to me.

Voltage!? That place had high prices when I was around LA in the late 80's/early 90's.
They even had a photo of Yngwie that he signed calling them expensive. lol
Cool tiny shop though. Guitar Center was next door.

Top Bottom