NGD: 1983 Gibson ES335

Peteyvee

Premium Platinum Member
I had a '79 with that finish and cream rings and guard. Great guitar. Sometimes I wonder why I sold it, but I got a cherry red historic that's really sweet a few years ago, so I don't miss it that much anymore.

jazzguitar

That looks exactly like mine, though mine is from '85. They're fantastic guitars, probably my all time favorite. Congrats!

gadzooka

Your guitar brings back fond memories of when my friend bought a 1983 ES-335 in the same finish. This was back in the late 80s, via a printed want ad (remember them?). He still has the guitar.

At the time, I thought all 335s had block inlays, so I didn't like the dot inlays. Little did I realize this was the original style. :)

kidmo

Beautiful guitar!!!! Totally agree with all the above comments on how great that color & finish is. Congrats, enjoy, live long and prosper :JAM

logen99999

the 335s and les pauls from that era were amazing. does it have huge cutting mids? my friend has a LP custom and both are amazing. the LP has huge mids, and the 335 is lighter but still cuts through amazingly. It's hard to match their tones, the way the sound comes out of the cab is just different compared to other 335s, or 335 copies.

romo

Supporting Member

Here is my '83 Dot. Best guitar I own. Mine had the wiring harness replaced with better pots and oil capacitors before I bought it. Everything else was stock and it sounded fantastic, although I eventually did change the bridge and tailpiece. Congrats on the sweet guitar!

jazzguitar

Here is my '83 Dot. Best guitar I own. Mine had the wiring harness replaced with better pots and oil capacitors before I bought it. Everything else was stock and it sounded fantastic, although I eventually did change the bridge and tailpiece. Congrats on the sweet guitar!
Woah, what's up with your intonation?!

Caribou

Silver Supporting Member
Nice looking guitar! I have a cherry 335 that's a few years younger than yours. I've had it for almost 20 years and it's a great guitar- practically plays itself.

Sent using Forum Runner

neverrecover

the 335s and les pauls from that era were amazing. does it have huge cutting mids? my friend has a LP custom and both are amazing. the LP has huge mids, and the 335 is lighter but still cuts through amazingly. It's hard to match their tones, the way the sound comes out of the cab is just different compared to other 335s, or 335 copies.
I would say the guitar is inherently midrangey and certainly cutting, especially compared to so many others I've tried. Not more than my Les Paul to my ears but in a more massive/open way while the mids in the LP are huge but more focused. That may seem like a comparison to even how the body design looks but with my Marshall on the same settings that's what I hear. Plugging into both hi-inputs in my four hole Marshall and the volumes on 2 (mids at noon) it's much more massive mids than I would have thought, a really nice surprise. I've yet to play this guitar with a full band or anything but really looking forward to it.