NGD 1983 Les Paul Studio- 1st Year

timallums

NGD. Or should I say NOGD >>> New Old Guitar Day.

I don't know why, but for some reason I have an affinity for 'dot' LP Studios... Maybe because they're not as common as the trapezoid inlays...

Horse-traded for this 1983 Gibson Les Paul Studio at Austin Vintage Guitar. Great guys to deal with and an impressive inventory.

By all accounts, 1983 was the first year for the Studio, and the Studios that year were completely Alder, 1/8" thinner, all dot fretboards (Ebony). This particular guitar left the shop with what I believe was the original cream colored plastics... Looked butt ugly with the cream colored plastics and yellow-ish vol/tone knobs on this weird, solid medium blue color. I bought $30 worth of Gibson replacement plastics in black and unsoldered/removed the pickup covers (yes, one zebra stripe and one not).

I also thought I would take a risk with some chickenhead knobs. The chickenhead knobs worked out great and look better in person than the photograph.

This guitar had hung in the racks for two years the guys at the shop said and they were happy to get rid of it in a trade. It plays great. Now it also looks great with the visual mods I put on it.

Before:

After:

Dashface

I like it both ways. Originally looks like one of those old GEM Studios with that colour.

I'm not a studio guy, but I'd go for that :)

timallums

I kept all of the original parts so that I can easily change back. I almost went with the aged black top hats for the control knobs. I might change out to the black top hats if I get bored with the chickenhead knobs.

sleep

Silver Supporting Member
Cool guitar, very unusual color! The early studios I've played have all been great guitars... but never have I seen one that color. Nice find!

OiRogers

What year did fretboard binding start? Those are the cool ones.
I don't think Gibson has ever put binding on the Studio model... it's a pretty big part of what defines the model.

Also... I kinda like to factory look. The black looks good also, but I'd probably have tried reflector knobs myself.

gkoelling

What year did fretboard binding start? Those are the cool ones.
I don't think Gibson has ever put binding on the Studio model... it's a pretty big part of what defines the model.

Also... I kinda like to factory look. The black looks good also, but I'd probably have tried reflector knobs myself.
Here's an '86 with bound body & neck but dot fret markers. I have no idea what years they were offered this way.

OiRogers

Here's an '86 with bound body & neck but dot fret markers. I have no idea what years they were offered this way.
The Studio Standard and Studio Custom were submodels from 83 to 85/86. I had forgotten about those... fairly uncommon. Supposed to have Shaw wound pickups across the board I think.

I guess I meant to refer to the straight Studio model in my earlier post, not its submodels.

cliffenstein

1. GREAT color
2. I prefer the black plastics with that color...blends nicely with the headstock.
3. Put some black reflector knobs on that thing with silver inserts...it'll look more classy
4. I think the covered buckers looked cooler...if you ever put different pickups in it, consider keeping the covers.

Super cool guitar all around...GREAT find!

Regarding the binding: There are Studio Standards and Studio Customs. Made in the early to mid 80's. I think the ones from 83 and earlier (Kalamazoo) are more desirable.

sixstringfuel

Hotdogs kill
Congrats great guitars:) I have one from 84 since it was new:p
To each his own.:aok
I like the stock look :dude and as many above the chicken head knobs :barf

Trending Topics