NGD : 1991

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Scott Auld, Dec 19, 2009.

1. Scott Auld

Scott Auld Staff Member

Today I did a bit of talking with the guy at my local guitar shop. I was wanting to get rid of my Epiphone Les Paul. The tone wasvery nice on it, but every time I played it, my hands get used to that scale and neck and then I can't play my Tele for nothing for about an hour, it seemed like.

I gave him the Ephiphone and $350 and came away with a '91 American Standard Strat. Black finish, rosewood neck, W/B/W pickguard. The white plastics have started going kind of yellow. I have no idea if the pickups are original but the covers are faded and the edges of them are rounded a little. I'll look at them later. Bone-looking nut, not the metal roller kind that came in the later 90s.

The important things to me were to get away from that Gibson scale / feel, and this guitar is American. It's age is a nice perk since I think Fender was making some really nice stuff in the late 80s and early 90s.

As much as I liked Clapton and Gilmour growing up, you'd think I'd have owned a black guitar before but this is my first.

The plastics are a little more yellow than these pics make them look. The guitar does not look this new.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Scott Auld

Scott Auld Staff Member

Gary at the Guitar Exchange is a really nice guy to work with. If you're near Coral Springs FL and you haven't checked out his shop, drop by and say hi.

3. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

congrats! scoring a USA Strat for an Epi and cash is a good deal!

4. Amp360

Amp360 Senior Member

those are the last of the am std models i like. they have a great profile on the neck. a year or so after that the usa fender necks became flatter and wider.

5. Scott Auld

Scott Auld Staff Member

Yeah, this is not a wide flat neck. C or round D shaped I guess. I would have preferred the traditional Fender saddles like you see on modern Fenders again but this is the bridge they were putting on them in the 90s.

@Alec ... LOL!

6. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

One of my favorite guitars EVER was a 1990 Am Std Strat. I never should have sold it - and you'd cry if you saw what the guy that bought it did to it when he got it. I mean, I was rough on that guitar - it probably saw 20 different pickups and 100s & 100s of gigs. Had it refretted twice and eventually just wore out the neck - replaced it with another Am Std neck from 1990 :)

Anyway, missing that guitar is why we did that trade deal - on my end anyway - and now I see you've been missing a Strat too!! I kinda feel bad for having Ruby at my house, but ... well, you've satisfied the urge!!

--chiba

7. Scott Auld

Scott Auld Staff Member

Look at it this way ... Now we both got one! :)

8. Scott Auld

Scott Auld Staff Member

9. backdrifter

backdrifter Supporting Member

Very nice! I have a Tobacco Sunburst 1991 American Standard. It was my first electric ever (got it new) and is still the one I would never, ever get rid of. I recently sold a John Mayer sig Strat because I'd rather play the '91 every time. Great guitars, enjoy it!

10. EXPcustom

EXPcustom Member

I think the early 90's were a golden age in quality for both Fender American series and Gibson USA guitars.

Also the imports from Fender and Jackson were of incredible quality as well. That era was when I first started playing guitar so anything gear related from the early 90's has that extra Mojo for me.

11. GASattack

GASattack Member

Very nice looking guitar, and i think your daughters right ... I think your copying her ... :D

kevin

12. Trandy

Trandy Supporting Member

Congrats Scott.

Nothing like getting a good "player".

Got a few myself. :)

13. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

Strats are the devil.

Enjoy...but be wary.....

:D

14. jtm622

jtm622 Member

Yep, that's a good looking guitar there...
    IMO, Strats are like 1971 American muscle cars - they're not complicated to modify and are pretty easy to work on & maintain... and they kick ass. It's hard to just stop at one, though... :)

15. Scott Auld

Scott Auld Staff Member

Although it's the only one in my house right now, I think this might be my fourth Strat. I would have to think about it to be sure.