NGD: 1993 Hamer Studio

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by newsonghawaii, Mar 6, 2015.

1. newsonghawaii

newsonghawaii Member

I was in an area that I don't often get to and in that place there is a nice guitar store that deals in used stuff. Yeah, my favorite kind of store. I only had a few minutes, but I had to stop in. Looking at the used guitars they had available, I spotted a beautiful amber flame top. I pulled it down, it was a Hamer Studio. Checked the price tag, $399. Ah, must be a Korean reissue. But as I looked further, it was a real deal, made in USA model. What? It was by no means in mint condition, a number of dents and scratches, and weird white marks on the back and sides, but the top was beautiful. It also had a weird conglomeration of knobs and the switch tip looked like it had been chewed on by a dog. I plugged it in and it sounded and played amazingly. The shop owner said it was genuine and had the original SD 59/JB pickups. I was interested, but I had to go.
    That guitar haunted me for about 3 days, I checked the serial number and it checked out as a '93. Went back yesterday, and really checked out the guitar, looking for a headstock repair or neck joint crack or something. Nothing like that.
    Played it some more, and it was inevitable. She came home with me.
    With a little rubbing compound, all the white marks quickly disappeared and it suddenly started looked like a pretty nice guitar. I pulled the pickups, and yes, they are for real. I played it all last night and fell in love. Going to order up some new pots and amber top hats and a new switch, or maybe just a new tip for now. But so far, I am a very happy man!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. guitarnut_1

guitarnut_1 Member

Be warned, son! It never ends with only one Hamer ;)

What a great story and welcome to the club of happy Hamer USA guitar players!

These are most underestimated guitars ever. I have three Hamers (Studio, Artist, and Monaco Elite) and really can't part with any of them. Amazing in every way, looks, build quality and las but not least amazing TONE and resonance!

3. twitch

twitch Member

How did you check the serial number for the year?

4. megawzrd

megawzrd Supporting Member

Nice score! HNGD.

I had a red 93 studio. Great guitars.

5. G Man

G Man Member

Great score at a crazy good price. Congrats.

6. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member

7. Dashface

Dashface Member

I had a sunburst '93 that I got for $600 - and I thought _that_ was a deal. You scored big time. Hamer guitars are insane good.

8. 73Fender

73Fender Member

Congrats, awesome price, look at that grain. Hamer used great looking wood. And you know it was built right. Three piece neck?

9. 73Fender

73Fender Member

How can I determine the age of my guitar?

Hamer USA Guitars: Serial Numbering System From 1974 through 1981 Hamer USA employed two separate serial numbering systems, one for custom instruments and one for production models:
    Custom Instruments: These instruments are easily recognized by the use of a four digit number stamped into the wood on the back of the peghead. The numbers ran from #0000 through #0680. All of the early Hamer USA Standards and 12-String basses as well as a number of prototype instruments were included in this serial numbering system.
    Production Models: Production models are stamped (initially with ink, later into the wood, on the back of the peghead) with either a five or six digit serial number. The first digit indicates the year that the instrument was built. The next four or five digits are sequentially stamped in order of production. For example, serial number 7 0001 was built in 1977 and was the first production model guitar built. Similarly, 0 1964 was built in 1980 and was the 1,964th production guitar built. The serial numbering sequence by decade is indicated below:
    1970s: 7 0001 - 9 1450 1980s: 0 1451 - 9 24192 1990s: 0 24193 - 9 50155 2000s: 0 50156 - present

10. newsonghawaii

newsonghawaii Member

Yes, 3 piece neck. Really nice carve too!

11. 73Fender

73Fender Member

They had some beautiful dark RW boards too.

I stumbled on a 2001 Studio this week on CL..has me grinning.

12. straightblues

straightblues Member

Very nice. Great score. That is worth probably $800 plus in that condition. Lots of info on the Hamer Fan Club.

13. Drew816

Drew816 Supporting Member

$399, wow, steal of the month! Congrats and enjoy!

14. archey

archey Supporting Member

15. TrickinSid

TrickinSid Member

Wow...great deal. Congrats and enjoy.

16. Dale

Dale Member

Nice! I love my 95.

17. 73Fender

73Fender Member

18. 316guitars

316guitars Silver Supporting Member

Awesome score, Send it to Pat Wilkins in CA. Pat is a master at guitar finishes. He has done guitars for Tom Anderson, Suhr, Dean and countless others for special finishes for artists like EVH and the like and his prices are LOW! Contact me if you want more info or pictures of refins he has done for me

19. straightblues

straightblues Member

Hamer's standard necks are all three pieces. It adds to rigidity and tone.

20. Dale

Dale Member