NGD! 1994 Fender Telecaster '52 Reissue MIJ.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Steve1977, May 22, 2015.

1. Steve1977

Steve1977 Member

Hi guys, I've just posted this over on the Telecaster forum. This NGD is a bit surprising to me as I'm usually a Gibson (boo, hiss) kinda guy. My main guitars are a Gibson 335 and a Les Paul Standard. I've owned plenty of Fenders in the past, strats usually, but I've never had a telecaster before.
    To be completely honest, I've never really lusted after a tele before. Nothing against them, it just never occurred to me to get one. Then suddenly, out of nowhere, I've developed this all consuming tele GAS that has just left me with little choice, but to go out and get one. (I know most of you will understand).:lol:

I wanted a blackguard, blonde tele, with a V neck,but didn't want to spend custom shop money.
    I originally thought about getting a Baja, looked around, but couldn't find a decent priced second hand one in UK. I tried a new one and I thought it was great, the only downside was the poly finish was pretty thick and made me think twice. Great neck though.
    I tried a Roadworn and really liked the feel of the thin relic'd nitro finish. (I play gibsons, so I think Nitro maybe feels a bit better to my hand, ymmv) but the neck shape wasn't V and felt skinny and the pickups weren't as good as the baja either.
    The roadworn was also much more expensive than the Baja in the UK.

I wished I could get the Baja, but with roadworn finish, but nothing like that seemed to be around ebay etc and buying a baja and then refinishing it just seemed really expensive.

I then found this second hand MIJ 1994 Fender Tele on Ebay, which has the V neck similar to the baja, but with an after market relic job, so looked like the best of both worlds.
    The seller has also installed Bare Knuckle Blackguard 50's pickups (seem like high end aftermarket pups in everyones books)
    Also upgraded to CTS pots, switchcraft jack, oak 4 way switch etc..
    It seems like a no brainer to me. Seems on paper to be the guitar I was looking for all along, so I bought it. It's on it's way as we speak.
    Here's some pics from the Ebay auction. I'll update when it arrives in a day or so.

I've been on enough forums to know that relic finishes can be divisive, some hate them, some like them. Totally fair.
    I understand if it's not for you, but I just like they way they feel and look. It's as simple as that. I've got plenty of high gloss, perfect finished guitars, I've also got a few stage guitars that have been naturally reliced through wear and tear, but I wanted something different. I like the feel of bare wood on the back of a neck, so I hope I'll be happy with this.

Like I say, it's my first tele, I'm excited, but I'm no tele expert, so if anyone wants to chime in on MIJ guitars etc or tell me more about the pups then feel free! :grin:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

jkruger03 likes this.
  2. JES1680

JES1680 Silver Supporting Member

Nice, I don't mind relics if the're done well and feel good most importantly. I was looking to buy a Cabronita style Tele and found a 52 MIJ re-issue for dirt cheap but it plays sooo good love the V neck. Someone had rolled the fretboard edges and spent a lot of time on the frets. $250.00 for the guitar and then added TV jones classics, bridge and changed out the switch, pots and cap to US stuff. It is an amazing guitar for the money. Yours looks cooler IMO though.
    [​IMG]

3. bxlxaxkxe

bxlxaxkxe Supporting Member

Dude great score. I really dig the look of that thing and know that with some BKPs in there, it's going to sound fantastic. Hopefully it plays to your liking and everything works out. I've got blackguard gas like a mofo, so I'm stoked for you. Love the relic job...very well done. Whatd you pay if you mind me asking?

4. ryanmulford

ryanmulford Member

@Steve1977 - Great looking Tele! Can I ask how much $ you paid? Cheers

5. Steve1977

Steve1977 Member

Hi guys. At a gig in Liverpool, just played the tele for the first set.. Awesomely comfortable to play, not heavy, great Pickups and the neck is a dream.
    I just set it up for my style, lowered the action a touch and put new strings on.
    Tuning is rock solid Btw.
    I paid £650 on Ebay.

6. Steve1977

Steve1977 Member

Loved gigging the tele last night, Great Pickups..the bridge pup just cuts through everything without being harsh, best single coil for rock I've ever played that still has sparkle.
    The best thing though is the neck, it is just a dream to play, bare smooth wood on the back, rolled fingerboard edges and smooth frets.
    I usually play 10's on my Gibsons , but with the vintage radius and frets and longer scale length I think 9's might work best, so I'm trying a set out. Seems fine, might even get away with 10's in the future.
    Very happy guy.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 23, 2015
  7. iluvfender

iluvfender Member

That's a fine guitar you got there. MIJ from that era are my favorites...83-96.

8. custom53

custom53 Member

My guitar tech/luthier just built a Tele with those pickups.. I may have to pull the trigger and buy it.. Love it to death...!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]