• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

NGD: 1996 Gibson Les Paul 57 Reissue

Jmg11986

Pulled the trigger on a trade. My tele and LP for this beauty. I will say it sounds completely different than my old les paul which was a 2012 classic custom. Very punchy and spanky, like a single coil in some ways. Sounds awesome! Had my choice between this and a 2010 r8 in bourbon burst. This was hands down a better built guitar and sounded better. I like that it isn't pledked. Take a look :)

1radicalron

Congrad's that is an Awesome Guitar = An 18 year old stunner!
I have a 97 40th Ann R7 Goldtop. Love those early Historic's

Last edited:

Franktone

Gold Supporting Member
That's a real beauty of a Les Paul. It just looks so awesome with that kinda wide fret board with a nice color on the fret board.
Totally awesome guitar.

e???

Man that set-up looks fun... congrats! Bet it's holy with that matchless

Jmg11986

Those of you who have some of these early r7s, how thick is the neck? When compared to the 2010 r8, this neck was thinner and easier to handle. Is that normal? I really like the feel of it actually.

In general, what are the differences between early r7s and newer r7s? The guy I got it from mentioned it was from the "good wood" era. What is that?

guitarded_1

Silver Supporting Member
It's funny that you bring up the single coil thing. I have a 2006 R7 and a 2014 R8. Both sound fantastic, but the R7 sounds like it has some strat sprinkled in. Even unplugged, the top end is sparkly, snappy and unlike any LP I have ever played. I love it. Congrats.

1radicalron

Those of you who have some of these early r7s, how thick is the neck? When compared to the 2010 r8, this neck was thinner and easier to handle. Is that normal? I really like the feel of it actually.

In general, what are the differences between early r7s and newer r7s? The guy I got it from mentioned it was from the "good wood" era. What is that?

I have both a 93 (First Year of Historic's) and a 97. Both necks are the same size, and both are rounder, and slightly smaller size than newer R7's have nowadays. More closer to R9 style neck. - A good friend has a 2001 R7 Goldtop, and that neck is friggin HUGE! So there was a some changes in size somewhere along the line.

Goodwood Era refers to late 90's early 2k - before the end of Honduran Mahogany, Import Bans on Brazilian Rosewood, Etc...The last days of rare woods.

Last edited:

shallbe

Deputy Plankspanker
Platinum Supporting Member
Cool! I love the 90's Historics. The mahogany was the old stuff and really good. The neck carves were right and the tops had a deep dish.

I have a 96, 97 and 98, all bought new and not going anywhere.

Jmg11986

I have both a 93 (First Year of Historic's) and a 97. Both necks are the same size, and both are rounder, and slightly smaller size than newer R7's have nowadays. More closer to R9 style neck. - A good friend has a 2001 R7 Goldtop, and that neck is friggin HUGE! So there was a some changes in size somewhere along the line.

Goodwood Era refers to late 90's early 2k - before the end of Honduran Mahogany, Import Bans on Brazilian Rosewood, Etc...The last days of rare woods.
Gotcha.....is 1996 considered good wood then? The board is rosewood but the grain looks different and nicer than any other rosewood I've ever owned. Think it is Brazilian?

1radicalron

Could be, Brazilian was used much more often in the 90's era. Posting a close up Pic might give you a more definitive answer.
Also those early 57 RI PAF Pups are pretty sweet. Designed by Tom Holmes, the early versions sounded really great!

moosewayne

Silver Supporting Member
A truly understated, subtle beauty!
CONGRATS!!!

I love plain top bursts.
Far too often r8, 9 and 0s are so over the top with flame an quilt they don't even look like instruments, to me.
I'd take an r7 gold top any day of the week.
OP, your Les Paul is simply gorgeous!

0018g

A gold top Les Paul-just something RIGHT about that, isn't there? Congrats on a fine looking guitar.

E Baxter Put

Doesn't seem to have that reddish tint that brazilian usually has. Seems like light brown.

I have a 96 R7 and the neck is a bit thinner than later versions. It's chunky, but doesn't feel too big. I changed my wiring to 50s wiring and I like it much better.

Jmg11986

Here is a shot of the wiring and pickups. Wiring looks different than new ones. They look right to you guys?

Trending Topics