1. The target date for the upgrade is August 11, 2020. We expect a few hours of downtime during that process. We will post on Twitter and Facebook to keep everyone updated on the progress.
    Dismiss Notice

NGD: 2 Koll Super Glide Almighty(s)

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by LivCo, Jul 31, 2020.

1. LivCo

LivCo Silver Supporting Member

2. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

Both of those are really beautiful.

3. pirateflynn

pirateflynn Supporting Member

Rockin! Love them both and hope you'll give a tone report soon. Enjoy!

4. plexigary

plexigary Supporting Member

Those are hands down the two nicest used Super Glides that have hit the market this year. Congrats!

5. Shane S

Shane S Member

Major congratulations @LivCo on your new SGAs! Beautiful guitars. Yes, you need a 3rd to round out the pickup offering. I would love to have a pair (or more) of SGAs for myself someday.

All Koll NGD should be multi guitar NGD like my post: https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...l-ultra-glides-6-12-string-baritones.2151989/

@plexigary you are absolutely right! @Zen_Guitar found the black SAG!. I wish I could have played it before it made its way to Chi town.

pirateflynn likes this.
  6. Zen_Guitar

Zen_Guitar Vendor

ditto what @Shane S said....that is a bad ass Koll you scored @LivCo !! the silver sparkle version is dang cool too. no one can have too many Koll's !!

pirateflynn and Shane S like this.
  7. LivCo

LivCo Silver Supporting Member

@pirateflynn asked for a tone report (great idea!), so here goes:

2017 Koll Super Glide Almighty Sparkle
    The inspiration for this one is pretty clear. I owned two of the really well done Gretsch reissues: a 2016 '59 Vintage Select Duo Jet and a 2017 or '18 '58 Vintage Select White Penguin. In fact, the Koll replaced the VS Penguin, which I bought in honor of my daughter's birth a couple years ago and sold to chase something. The solid Gretsches have a very hollow character with a scooped midrange and very sparkly highs. The SGA sounds different, even with the exact same pickups. There's more midrange and less top end, likely because of the ES vs swimming pool chambering and the bridge configurations. The signature filtertron growl is still there in spades, however, and the SGA has a more comfortable neck, lighter weight, and an even higher build quality (especially over the poly finished Duo Jet, which felt a bit plastic-y). Plays great w/ fuzz? Check. Surfy reverb? Check. Rockabilly delay? Check. For my trashy punk/garage roots, it checks all the boxes.

2009 Koll Super Glide Almighty "Custom"
    I bought this from @Zen_Guitar, so would love to see if he wants to add anything to this one.

I'm a total sucker for the aesthetics of Gibson custom trim: aged cream multi-ply binding, big blocks, diamond inlay headstock, gold hardware. Red 355s, LP Customs, and especially white SG Customs (even better w/ a maestro). What I don't like are the ergos (either LP body or SG Custom neck). I owned 2 white SG customs - I've tried. I also think I sound better with pickups that aren't humbuckers. So why this one? The Glide body shape has great ergos and killer looks. And it sounds huge.

Unplugged: It's not a Les Paul. Last night, I compared it to my friend's 69/70 LP Custom (Pictured below. Unplugged only, we were outside). The Koll is not as immediate in the attack. It has a "banjo-y" ES vibe, but it's more direct than an ES if that makes sense. This one is also more airy than the Sparkle SGA, likely owing to the f-hole. Pretty similar resonance between both SGAs.

Plugged in: This one has a Duncan Pearly Gates in the Neck and a Custom Custom in the bridge. I was a little worried about the mids and the output in the bridge (EVH I am not), but it sounds awesome through my normal fuzz-Hudson Broadcast-reverb chain (into a Vintage Sound 22 2x10 or Analog Outfitters Road Amp). Jack White, 60s garage, Black Keys, etc. I do notice those extra mids w/ fuzz, but it's actually an interesting sound and nothing that a little knob tweaking couldn't fix if I didn't want it. The neck is quite smooth and avoids the mud issues I usually have. Middle is super chimey with plenty of highs.

Through my Orange AD-30 it sounds like one would expect.

Any kind of funk/soul/post-punk I'd reach for the Sparkle SGA; jazz/classic rock/blues would start w/ the SGA Custom.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for the responses. Cheers.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  8. Zen_Guitar

Zen_Guitar Vendor

@LivCo what a great review. I think you nailed it. cool to have an array of fine instruments to compare contrast. each has a story to tell....up to the player to interpret and bring it to life.

that last pics....hell yeah.

9. cosmic_ape

cosmic_ape Supporting Member

Damn, dude! That is one awesome pairing!

10. monkeybrains

monkeybrains Member

That black one is soooooo nice.

11. 54GT

54GT Silver Supporting Member

Speechless!

12. dukeh62

dukeh62 Supporting Member

Had my eye on both of these. Congrats!

Zen_Guitar likes this.