NGD: 2001 Historic SG with Vibrola

TheWayfarer84

Gold Supporting Member
Just worked out a deal on this beautiful SG!!

I almost pulled the trigger on a 2013 SG Original, but decided last minute to make an offer on this one instead. Ended up only costing about $500 more than then Original (Standard with Vibrola) would have. For a historic, in excellent condition with zero fret wear, that seemed like a deal. Now the long wait begins!

minorseventh

Beautiful guitar, and sorry for your wait!!
I have an SG Original and I love it... just wondering what are the differences between the Originals and the Historics?

TheWayfarer84

Gold Supporting Member
Beautiful guitar, and sorry for your wait!!
I have an SG Original and I love it... just wondering what are the differences between the Originals and the Historics?
I'd have to let someone else chime in on that. Not sure if the historics's finishes are any different. I thought the early histortics had nickel hardware, but that may have only been the aged versions. If the one I bought is indeed nickel, its in great condition for 15 year old nickel hardware. CTS pots and bumblebee repro caps in the historics vs Gibson pots and chicklet caps in the Originals. Honestly - I don't know if there is that big of a gap. Between the two I found, the historic just had much nicer mahogany and rosewood.

bryan83

Beautiful. My dream SG. I want one so bad, I'm also considering an original because they pop up on eBay every once in a while. I hope your wait is short! Post some more pics when you get her.

bibir

I was eyeing this here and on reverb for my christmas present. If there's a coa on that thing I'd be at my home already. You score a good guitar and at a very fair price too.

jota

Man, I've been wanting an SG so bad...
That's exactly the one I would get if I had the money.
Congrats.

TheWayfarer84

Gold Supporting Member
Anyone know much about the 2001's? I found pretty limited info online. Enough to feel confident in a purchase - but more details is good details while I wait.

TheWayfarer84

Gold Supporting Member
So the good - she's as beautiful in person as she is in pictures. More cherry red than some, but I like that. The neck is rather chunky for a 60's slim. About .865" @ the first and a 1.70" nut. Very easy to move around, but some meat to grab onto as well. The guitar really is in excellent. Condition. Hard to believe it's 16 years old. And she sings! Very open and jangly sound (for an SG). Due to the vibrola I'm sure. But also lots of punch. I'll get to put it through its paces at volume later today. Break angle on the vibrola is good. Not great, but good. The comb is perpendicular to the body. No string jumping or anything.

The bad - the vibrola spring seems to be poorly manufactured and is at a weird angle not allowing the comb to sit straight. It doesn't seem to have any impact on tuning, but it's a little bothersome to the eye. It wouldn't be hard to reshape the spring lip if it comes to it. For now, not touching it. I've seen others look this way on photos so it's not unheard of.
Some bleeding on the binding seems to be the only other issue. Playing it side by side with a '13 Standard, I do prefer the historic. But it's not night and day. The '13 is light as a feather, and this one is chunkier which may contribute to that more "solid" feeling. The bevels are slightly more comfortable on the '13 as well.

The neutral - listing was incorrect the guitar is not 100% stock and actually had burstbuckers 2011 sticker) instead of 57's. That doesn't really bother me as I think I prefer them to 57's in an SG. Although they may be a little bright. Haven't messed with pickup or pole piece height much yet - but my initial impression is I'm ok leaving them in there. I'd still like to try a PAT style in there as well.

Overall, really happy with my new SG!!

The spring. The unit is mounted straight. It's the spring that's angled funny.

Last edited:

Trending Topics