• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

NGD-- 2003 LP with Braz board

Nuclearfishin

Silver Supporting Member
Hey fellas, I thought I'd show a couple pics of my new (used) R9 I picked up this week. It's a 2003 with a Brazilian board, everything totally stock. It's the nicest looking guitar I own, and the best part...now I can start some cool mods on my R7 which I was afraid to mess with until now. What do you all recommend for pickups? I know the RS kits get great reviews around here. Anything else?

BluesForDan

Silver Supporting Member
wow, for a second there, I thought I was looking at one of my old guitars.

Very nice.

Nuclearfishin

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks fellas--as for new pickup recommendations for my R7, what are the 'over the pond guy' pickups like compared to some of the other higher end replacements?

Bluedawg

Welcome to the '03 braz P club ...

very very nice

There's a guy on the LP forum with a guitar just like yours ... he just bought his, too ;)

:banana

architect

Silver Supporting Member
check out shed pickups...another builder from the UK who gets a lot of props from the boys over at the mylespaul forum. They are priced really well too.

Shnook

Silver Supporting Member
OMG! That's one of the nicest looking Les Paul's I've ever seen! Great score! And fantastic fretboard to boot! :AOK

GAD

Wubbalubbadubdub
Gold Supporting Member
Hey fellas, I thought I'd show a couple pics of my new (used) R9 I picked up this week. It's a 2003 with a Brazilian board, everything totally stock. It's the nicest looking guitar I own, and the best part...now I can start some cool mods on my R7 which I was afraid to mess with until now. What do you all recommend for pickups? I know the RS kits get great reviews around here. Anything else?

That is the best picture of Brazillian I've ever seen. Well done! Awesome reference.

I have a 2003 R9 that's a killer guitar, but not braz.

As for pickups, give a call to Jim at WCR. He'll hook you up. My LP is a monster with WCR Goodwoods in it. It's so good I got a set of Ironmans for my Jackson. At $300 or so a pair they're not cheap, but a guitar like that deserves them. :)

GAD

xdisciplex

thats a beautiful guitar, i had a chance to buy a couple of those 03 lesters with the braz fretboard when they came out and like a dumb ass i passed them up.

Nuclearfishin

Silver Supporting Member
I think so too!

Try the MapleFlame mod on your R7 for greater clarity and definition.
I never heard of that before, but I just looked it up and it looks pretty straight forward. Can you really hear a difference? I'm going to try it since the R9 sounds identical to the R7, I'll have a good reference point after the mod.

Cheers!

bluesjuke

Disrespected Elder
On my R8 the lower strings got a lot tighter with a piano type tone.
All of the strings had a better balance across the board.
The guitar didn't get brighter per se but rather gained a very nice clarity.

Have not done it to my R6 yet but haven't had it all that long either but I will.

lukeII

Any interest in selling that beauty?
Man he just bought it last week, .

Braz R9s are collectible so I would think twice about modding it as mods are not a good idea from a collector value perspective. I would certainly pay less for a Braz that had been modded even if the mods improved the guitar. On these I reckon the only upgrade that would add value would be PAFs.

If it is a keeper and you want to mod it.... knock yourself out.

Tidewater Custom Shop

Performance Enhancing Guitarworks
Silver Supporting Member
I never heard of that before, but I just looked it up and it looks pretty straight forward. Can you really hear a difference? I'm going to try it since the R9 sounds identical to the R7, I'll have a good reference point after the mod.

Cheers!

Beautiful board on your new R9 -

I did the Maple Top mod to my '82 30th LP, but added a Callaham ABR-1 at the same time. With those two running, yes, I hear a difference. Not astonishing, because the guitar sounded really good before. However, I can feel the difference - the resonance of this 'system' is very present... better than before and I attribute the improvement in tone to this combo, and the resonance directly to the Maple Top mod. It feels more alive.

danelectro

Silver Supporting Member
Very nice! It looks like that board might be in need of a little oil.

Regarding pickups, Throbak SLE-101 Plus MXV's are my favorites. WCR Crossroads are very nice as well.

Boxnix

If he did an RS kit or pups and kept the original parts would that help the investment value or does new solder joints kill it?

Trending Topics