NGD: 2004 Fender Special Run American Vintage '52 Telecaster Black & Gold!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Jahn, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Gold Supporting Member

So I just got my nifty green Gretsch, and apparently some kinda citywide Gretsch fever took hold, because very quickly someone offered up a guitar for it that was an even more natural fit for me - I love Teles, love black guitars, and was looking for an Ash complement to my blackguard pine tele. Well the '04 Fender Special Run American Vintage '52 Telecaster Black & Gold wrote that ticket.

From the second I picked it up I knew something was going on - it was way lighter than an '07 '52 RI Tele I had before, which must have weighed over 8 pounds for sure. Also, the neck of this black Tele was very slim compared to that other '52, and WAY slimmer than my Kelly boatneck - but the carve was still round and comfortable all the way up, maybe it has to do with the vintage fretboard radius.

Since I had to do this trade in a cafe, I did ye olde Ear to the Body trick, heard those acoustic vibrations rush right into my ear canal, and did the trade right there. Hopped on a train home, plugged it in, and...uh, VERY LITTLE HUM. You have to understand, my place is like Dimmer Light Hell. Even some humbucker guitars I've owned have hummed more than this Tele. Don't get me wrong, when I leave it on a stand and walk away from it and angle it for the worst magnet vector to the amp, it still proves it's a single coil. But when I picked it up BAM I couldn't hear the damn hum! Did he shield this thing like a mofo? That gold hardware sucking up the hertz? Whatever it is, I'm not going to fool with it - I was planning to rip the guts out and put some Dimarzio Areas in - with these pickups, that is no longer the plan.

The real benefit to this is that this guitar is now the only single coil in my house. Which means everything good about the single coil that you'd hate to sacrifice away is now retained - I feel like I'm hardwired directly into my amp! I just finished a good 3 hour session with it putting it through its paces, hooking it into my Pro Reverb, trying it out with pedals - it's a champ! And a road warrior too, in the pics below you'll see the brass saddles sweated through to the tarnish. I'm looking forward to putting my own stamp on it! BTW neither the neck or body were rubbery or sticky at all, which shocked me coming from the thick rubbery butterscotch body of the other '52, and the sticky orange neck of an EJ strat. I can just pick it up and get right into it and honestly just forget about any distractions - no buzz, rattle, fretout, intonation probs, nothing! And as said before, very little hum, like WAY low. Honestly, I''ve had a few strat Area pickups that had more hum!

Ok, enough of that talk, I'm still stunned. And here's the kicker - weighed it after my session and it weighs only 6.4 lbs. I josh you not. Here are the pics!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So an all black R8, and now an all black '52 RI. Back in Black!

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  2. Csapo

Csapo Gold Supporting Member

Congrats!!!

Yours looks very, very clean. Killer Teles and not too many around.

Welcome to the family...

[​IMG]

(Copper & Black/white guard have been sold)

3. musicofanatic5

musicofanatic5 Supporting Member

You mention Gretsch, and show that gtr and I immediately think...gold back-painted plexy 'guard. I guess I do not particularly go for the black on black deal.

4. Jahn

I hear what you're saying - something like this, right?

[​IMG]

But in Gretsch form, I think it looks snazzier, as below. On a tele, maybe too much gold real estate with the size of a Tele guard.

[​IMG]

5. Jahn

Now that's funny, my account is over the limit - how many folks were just trying to see my Tele exactly? be right back with them on another account then - ah, there we go!

6. Blue4Now

Blue4Now Silver Supporting Member

funny you should talk about the quietness of your tele's single coil pickups. I have also fouond my two teles (62RI and 54RI Esquire) are both soooo quiet for true single coil guitars. I think the metal bridge must shield much of the noise and the metal neck cover does the same.

7. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

Hey, I remember that guitar! Those Graphtech saddles were awful!

[​IMG]

No, question, the Gretsch looks way cooler. ;)

That Tele now looks like this:

[​IMG]
    Sounds way cooler, at least the bridge Keystone does.

8. Jahn

Hey! I like that setup! Reminds me of Lennon's Tele:

[​IMG]

9. karma1

karma1 Member

Congratulations - very nice guitar! I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun with it. I like having a limited edition model.

Here's my Fender Special Run Tele with matching headstock - I think there were about 200 of them made. I added a Lace Sensor Gold/neck, Duncan Little 59/bridge w/ series-parallel switching, and Schaller locking tuners:

[​IMG]

10. Jahn

I'd love to find a rundown of all the FSR stuff, but because that info hasn't been collected all in one place (Fender's site in particular) hunting them all down is probably impossible. As it is, you can probably call in with the serial number of your FSR and get the info on your particular FSR - year made, official name, options making it an FSR, who made it (custom shop or regular production guys), how many, what store(s) carried it, and so on.

11. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

Here's a way too big gold pickguard on a black guitar:

[​IMG]

Here's another Tele; again, one that has since been changed to a 3 pickup Nashville style with a Tort guard:

[​IMG]

Shoulda left more Black + Gold guitars as they were. If things go well, these might be pretty popular around here! :^)

12. Jahn

13. terrapin

terrapin Member

Just found this thread and thought I would throw in pics and some info on my 2009 FSR Tele. Dave's Guitars and Wildwood are the only folks who got these. Here it is:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Model Name: FSR American Vintage ‘68 Telecaster┬« Thinline
    Model Number: 017-0093-(821)
    Series: American Vintage Series
    Body: Light Weight Semi-Hollow Ash Body
    Neck: 1-Piece Maple, “U” Shape,
    (Nitrocellulose Lacquer Finish)
    Fingerboard: Maple, 7.25” Radius (184 mm)
    No. of Frets: 21 Vintage Style Frets
    Scale Length: 25.5” (648 mm)
    Width @ Nut: 1.650” (42 mm)
    Hardware: Chrome
    Machine Heads: Fender┬«/Schaller┬« Vintage “F” Style (Cast/Sealed)
    Bridge: Vintage Style 3-Saddle Strings-Thru-Body Tele Bridge
    Pickguard: 4-Ply White Pearloid
    Pickups: 2 Vintage Style Single-Coil Tele Pickups with Alnico Magnets (Neck & Bridge)
    Pickup Switching: 3-Position Blade:
    Position 1. Bridge Pickup
    Position 2. Bridge and Neck Pickups
    Position 3. Neck Pickup
    Controls: Master Volume, Master Tone
    Colors: (821) Natural,
    (”Thin-Skin” Nitrocellulose Lacquer Finish)
    Strings: Fender Super 250L, Nickel Plated Steel, (.009 to .042), p/n 073-0250-003
    Unique Features: “F” Hole,
    “Top-Hat” Blade Switch-tip
    Source: U.S.
    Accessories: Deluxe Hardshell Case

I LOVE this guitar!!! Plays and sounds GREAT. I would love to play more of the FSR series guitars as it sounds like others like them as much as I do.

14. Jahn

Aw man you're making me have withdrawal symptoms, since my Black 'n Gold bit it for the incoming Gretsch!