NGD 2008 Les Paul Custom, White

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by flume, Apr 21, 2016.

1. flume

flume Gold Supporting Member

Last year I had a big Les Paul purge. They served their purpose, recorded and gigged, but cash needed to be raised for more ES-295 restoration projects. And they served that purpose nobly. Four all told...all Custom Shop models. Leaving me with a cherry sunburst Custom and a chambered R3 goldtop. The itch to replenish LP inventory flared, and no salve, poultice or unguent provided relief.

The white Les Paul Custom...always a statement and one that ebbed and flowed with me. It needed to be near mint, ebony board of course, and right around the 2006-9 years would be ideal.

After an unpleasant encounter with a "mirage" here in the emporium of this very model, my search didnt drag on much longer. When work travel took me to Nashville last week, a quick scan of the usual suspect retailers landed on Carter Vintage, just a few blocks from my meeting. I wont go into gory detail, as there are some hall monitors here, but suffice to say, the unvarnished hostility of the 2 day meeting fully justified some guitar therapy. Dosage as follows:
    [​IMG]
    My first time in the store and as I own Walter Carters' books, it was a real treat to meet the man too. The store is absolutely fantastic. Huge, comfortable and stocked with intention and care. The front counter had every pedal known to mankind. Stores like this are really down to a handful left in the nation; not just big inventory - but SMART inventory - they seem to make an effort at having all lines and models represented. Not just 335s, but 345s, 355s. Likewise on Fenders and Martins. All food groups represented for a balanced meal. I was there at off peak hours so that helped the low key vibe. I zeroed in on this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    We all crave that relaxed experience when poised to spend considerable sums on a new guitar; have it handed to you, be shown to an isolation booth or sideroom with amps of your choice and be left alone. That happened. Naturally. Easy. While I didnt have lots of time - I didnt need it. We came to terms quickly and they set it up with my preferred gauge including a wound third, and introduced me to the repair shop staff who got right on it, then arranged for shipping back to my tech the following week so it stayed moving, rather than warehoused over the weekend. It arrived today and is devastating.
    At half-mast: [​IMG]
    Full tumescence: [​IMG]
    It has its own feel; the rounded neck carve is full and must add to the depth of tone. First time I've had 57 Classics and I am impressed. Well balanced and defined. Different in its own way from the cherry sunburst; will be fun to record a track with just these two which is already on the horizon.
    [​IMG]
    Guitar therapy? It works.

ef_in_fla, T Dizz, morgan918 and 13 others like this.
  2. Skeet skeet!

Skeet skeet! Member

Well thankfully you have come full circle from that nonsense and completely redeemed yourself. :drool

DanielHillshafer and flume like this.
  3. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

LP Customs are the King of the LPs in my book. They tend to be a bit more bold and brash IME, maybe it's the ebony board or generally heavier bodies, but they generally seem to deliver quite the punch, yet remarkably settle down to some seriously thick, smokey jazz tones on the neck. Anyway, love it, and white looks especially good over the years as it ages.

ef_in_fla and flume like this.
  4. e???

e??? Member

Chambered R3? U gotta picture? Never heard of one...

5. flume

I never understood those names. Probably meant R6 right? Gold top two p 90s and wrap tail.

6. small axe

small axe Member

that white gibson les paul custom is pure rock and is an awesome axe......u got a lot cases there, may we explore those as well?

7. flume

You may. :)

Search for "ES-295" on my posts. Take the tour.

8. SPROING!

SPROING! Member

Beautiful! Nice score and a well written post, too.

9. deadbeat son

deadbeat son Member

Beautiful custom, HNGD!

Wrap-tail? That's an R4. (54 reissue)

10. JeffK

JeffK Member

Nice! The white Customs always catch my eye. Classy.

11. flume

Thanks for clarifying; yes an R4 it is. I just call it the goldtop, or Standard.

Really enjoying the 57 Classics on this Custom. I raised the height of the neck pickup then selectively lowered polepieces on G, D, and just a hair on A. Let it breath a little and adds some air to the middle position. I usually add Emerson pots but the extant ones are fine. I will swap in locking TonePros bridge and tailpiece eventually and that's all I can see doing here. Ready to roll for recording session on Sunday.

12. monty

monty Member

Lovely LP and great NGD post. It was really enjoyable to read.

flume likes this.
  13. Dynation

Dynation Member

White LPCs are probably up there in being my favorite looking guitar. Nice score and HNLPD :beer

flume likes this.
  14. Pedal Dan

Pedal Dan The Island of Misfit Pedals Gold Supporting Member

I remember those days...

Sitting down on a stool to try out a new guitar.

It's probably been 10 year since I did that, because of the Internet!

flume likes this.
  15. DanielHillshafer

DanielHillshafer Member

Love it. I need a Custom soon. Getting GAS again...thanks. If my wife leaves me it's all TGPs fault. ;-)

flume likes this.
  16. rummy

rummy Member

Congrats. What does your weigh? My '04 weighs 10lbs.

flume likes this.
  17. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

Just the small detail that you used the word "unguent" in that story completely got my motor running :D

happy new LPC day!

flume likes this.
  18. Pointy Headstock

Pointy Headstock Member

HNGD! Are you sure that you've got 57 Classics in there? I'm fairly certain that factory pickups for a 2008 "standard production Custom" were 490R/498T.

flume likes this.
  19. morgan918

morgan918 Member

Nice write up and beautiful guitar...

flume likes this.
  20. flume

I could be wrong - going by what Carter Vintage specified- and I am a big fan of the 490 498 combo - which, if that's what is in there would explain why I am able to quickly dial in my "Steinway piano" sound, as that's whats in the cherry sunburst Custom I have too. But its still slightly different, in a good way. I guess I'm looking at what is in production now for pickups. Either way, I'm getting great sounds right out of the gate with these.