• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

NGD - 2011 Les Paul Studio Flamed Wine Red

DHart

I've been wanting a Les Paul and found this very lightly used Studio recently. It has some features that I haven't seen on many of the Studios that I've played in shops, like the flamed maple top and high gloss finish. It seems this is a bit of a different Studio than some others, but the current line of Les Pauls leaves me a bit confused.

So... please educate me on this one. The sales person said this was a 2010-2011 model and that the new ones of this exact model spec sell for around $1395. This used one was $899, with case. That seemed like a decent deal, as the new Studios that I played in the $800 range weren't as nice as this one.

I really don't know about the different variations Gibson offers under the "Studio" range of Les Pauls. I thought all Studios were the same, but apparently not.

Anyway... should I upgrade any of the components on this guitar? Tuners? Pups? Wiring? Honestly, I know very little about today's Les Paul models and while I really like the look, playability, and sound of this guitar, I would appreciate some advice and commentary about it so I know more about what I have and what it might benefit from in terms of upgrades.

One thing... the rosewood fingerboard is a bit dry and needs some "love"... is there a good oil or conditioner I can put on the fingerboard to restore it's richness?

Thanks for your help. (I removed the pick guard, as I prefer the look without.)

The case is a worn Epi LP case, not my preference, but it gets the job done.

Last edited:

DHart

Can anyone tell me about the various Studio models? Are the electronics the same as the Standard? Pots? Wiring?

Any recommendations on giving the rosewood fingerboard some reconditioning/moisture?

gohabsgo22296

If you like the sounds you're getting, why bother to change any of the electronics?

I would, personally, change the knobs, 'cause I never like the look of those black speed knobs on any guitar, really.

Congrats on a fantastic NGD. Gorgeous guitar, btw, great top on that one.

Pietro

2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy
I think everything about the regular Studio (like what you have, not like the faded one) is amazing. Leave it alone.

DHart

Good advice... and I'm thinking I will change the knobs... I'm liking the amber ones but not sure if they would go well with the chrome metals... what do you guys think? Amber only with gold parts? Or good with silver too?

Trending Topics