NGD - 2013 American Deluxe Telecaster and an epiphany

Marc H.

Gold Supporting Member
So I don't post much, but have found TGP to be an invaluable resource for my playing, guitar tinkering and understanding what's going on in the world. So onto the good news...

Picked up a 2013 American Deluxe Telecaster in Aged Cherry Sunburst last weekend.

View media item 51174
Got a pretty good deal from my local Guitar Center, and walked out with it knowing that if I didn't bond with it I could use the satisfaction guarantee return policy. The reason I bought it was because the neck felt great, exactly the specs that I like, and overall the guitar was in excellent condition, not a ding or scratch to be found. It played great, and was actually set up pretty well, and is the lightest guitar I currently own. The tummy contour while not traditional works for me, and I'm a sucker for bound bodies.

I've never had noiseless pickups on any guitar I have owned, ever, and thought I was going to hate them. But given that my current gigging situation consists primarily f the church worship team for two services every other Sunday, and the electrical mayhem that can ensue with the lights on the stage, I figured, what the heck, I'll give them a shot, even though I wasn't blown away by them in the store, or when I got home. Immediately, I was thinking I'll just swap the pickups out and have a great playing and sounding Telecaster. The search was on, or so I thought.

Fast forward to this morning's service. Our worship leader put together a really great set of songs that feature more guitar than normal, so I was looking forward to playing the new Tele to run it through it's paces. I was fully expecting to get home go on-line and buy whatever new pickups I was thinking of dropping in it. But wait. It sounded great. It sat in the mix perfectly. The tone was right on and the worship leader commented on how good it sounded after both services, and he's a phenomenal multi-instrumentalist with a great ear. So I won't be changing a thing.

The moral of the story? Don't tweak based on how something sounds in the living room. Put it in the situation in which you will be playing most and make your evaluation...

P.S. Oh, and now I have to find a place for the Florance Voodoo TE59s that I traded for. Don't worry, I've got another tele they'll work in just fine!

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom