NGD! 2014 G&L Legacy!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Ilduce, Feb 19, 2015.

1. Ilduce

Ilduce And now for something completely different! Supporting Member

I just picked it up yesterday and have to say that I'm totally in love with it! It's blond with a maple fretboard, a vintage tinted neck and tortoise shell pickguard. It's bone stock except for a set of Schaller M6 2000 locking tuners. I had never had the opportunity to play a G&L and wasn't sure if it would feel or sound like I would feel comfortable with, but after a couple of minutes playing I knew that it felt and sounded just right for me. Some of the things about the Legacy that I've read about that some people don't care for, the floating trem, the pups and the ptb controls, I'm actually really liking. I did a lot of research on the Legacy before deciding to get this one and while reading reviews can only tell you so much, this time it really paid off. I'm in the honeymoon period now, and only time will tell, but I do really believe that this will be a keeper!

2. standard24

standard24 Member

Congrats! I bought a USA Legacy on CL for $275 to flip. When I got it home, I knew I had to keep it.

3. edgarallan

edgarallan Member

Pictures or it didn't happen :nono

4. SouthpawGuy

SouthpawGuy Member

Congrats ... however ....

[​IMG]

:aok

5. wfolse1

wfolse1 Member

Wow, I picked up my USA Legacy for something like 600 bucks a few years ago and thought I got a deal! That's awesome.

Also, congrats OP! I *love* the PTB system.

6. Ilduce

[​IMG]

What a pain to post pics! Hahaha

7. Ilduce

Here's a better one,

[​IMG]

8. 73Fender

73Fender Member

Congrats. The ptb controls work well, someone posted a tip once to start with them both at midway (no treble or bass added or subtracted) which helped me at first. And I love the G&L trem, very robust as is the rest of the guitar, built like a tank mine is. Which neck carve did you get?

9. Ilduce

Thanks! That's some good info, I didn't realize that with the tone controls set at 5 it's flat. So far I've been experimenting with them set all over the place, and getting some cool tones in most. The necks a #1 classic c.

10. SouthpawGuy

SouthpawGuy Member

The PTB controls are passive, they only subtract, they don't boost anything, so "flat" is with everything on 10. I find with the alnico pickups in the Legacy I don't use the PTB much, I leave everything on 10 mostly.

With the MFD pickups found in the S500 I roll off the bass and treble a little, but on the MFD humbucker equipped F100 bass, treble and volume are usually set about half way. Put another way the PTB can be used to tame higher output pickups.

11. Ilduce

One other thing I really love is the way the grain shows through the finish, simply stunning! Here's a pic that shows it nicely,

[​IMG]

12. Ilduce

:jo Yeah, that makes sense, passive.

13. ldizzle

ldizzle Supporting Member

I've had maybe 10 g&l guitars and they've always been excellent. Great looking guitar!

14. Kelsey

Kelsey Member

I bought a new Legacy with light ash body (6.75 lbs. overall) in clear red and a roasted maple neck and fretboard. It sounds great, but the frets are too low for my taste and I didn't care for the floating bridge. My guitar tech installed a machine screw in the front of the inertia block to fix the bridge with correct string break angle. I may get a refret with taller wire. Despite these minor things, it's a great guitar and I would be hard pressed to buy another Fender now.

15. Ilduce

I'm so impressed with this Legacy I'm really considering getting a Asat for my 52ri fix. One thing I really dig about G&L is all of the build options. I'm thinking that a pine body and stainless steel frets might be nice. It'll be quite a while before I can afford it, but it's something nice to dream about!

16. SouthpawGuy

SouthpawGuy Member

That's unusual about the frets, G&Ls medium jumbo frets are larger than Fenders medium jumbos, and certainly far bigger than vintage style Fender frets.Did you spec the order yourself or was the guitar already in stock somewhere ?

( the discontinued George Fullerton Legacy model had vintage size fret wire, with no PTB but standard strat volume and two tone controls ).

17. Kelsey

Kelsey Member

It was in stock, special ordered by the dealer with roasted maple neck. It's the standard medium jumbo wire, but it's lower than the medium jumbo wire on two of my Fender CS Strats and much lower than my preferred 6105 wire. I don't get along well with standard Fender medium jumbo wire either.

18. jb's 52

jb's 52 Member