NGD! 2014 Les Paul LPM

riefil

Just picked up this screamer from my nephew. He had it less than a year and never liked it. He's more of a skinny neck PRS guy. He had asked my opinion about it before he bought it. My advice to him was it's not the guitar for him. I thought the neck wouldn't suit him. He really liked the Min Etune feature, as he likes to play in alternate tunings. Ultimately and unfortunately I was correct. He offered it to me at a great price(which he got originally) and I at first said no. He said he really would rather me have it than someone else. With the urging of my wife and a nice tax refund, I said yes. The only issue is, the ebay seller did not include the charger for the Min Etune. He didn't play it a lot, so the battery just died recently. That's when he realized no charger. The tuner button subsequently fell off while tuning by hand, so that tuner is currently useless. Gibson will not replace or provide a button due to the original seller not being authorized dealer. So I will be replacing the Min Etune(see previous thread) Here it is in all her glory.

Larry Mal

I guess I like the sound of the automatic tuners until I read what you wrote. What charger? You can just use batteries?

And I won't even touch on the tuner head just falling off.

riefil

Cool, now put some regular tuners on that thing.
Yeah that's the plan. I have Planet Waves Auto Trim tuners that someone gave me. Hopefully some time tomorrow I'll have time to see if they are direct fit. Gibson CS said the holes for the Min Etune are .404in or 10.26mm. Sounds big. I think the PW are 9mm. Fingers crossed.

riefil

I guess I like the sound of the automatic tuners until I read what you wrote. What charger? You can just use batteries?

And I won't even touch on the tuner head just falling off.
The tuner button inner sleeve where it fits over the knurled shaft just kind of crumbled.

No its a special flattish battery that you plug directly into a charger, similar to a cellphone charger with a round pin. $19.99 only from Gibson. Couldn't get one for a while. Finally available but due to physical inventory at Gibson,it will not ship until April 8.

MattC

Silver Supporting Member
I'd definitely take the minEtune off. The one on my recently bought LP peace is terrible. Rarely ever gets it tuned right.

The Gforce I had on a 2015 midtown actually worked just fine tuning wise, but I removed it because I didn't feel like looking up how to change strings every time it was due.

riefil

Love my LPJs, enjoy your LPM. Put some analog tuners on there and rock on.
This is my 2nd LP. My other is an 02 Standard that I absolutely love. I just finished installing the Planet Waves Autotrims. They fit like a glove. Only drilling was for the 6 small mounting screws.

RayBarbeeMusic

Gold Supporting Member
Be interested to see what you think after some mileage. I have a lot of LPs, and some much more expensive than the LPJs, but a sunburst '14 LPJ has become my go-to LP. It just has "it".

riefil

So far it has more "snappiness" than my standard. I guess, from what I understand the LPM having a maple neck.

riefil

Got to spend some quality time with it this afternoon. Definitely made to rock hard. I'm surprised how usable the tone and volume controls are. Sounds to me, more like an SG. For me that's a good thing as I already have my LP Standard as my number 1. This LPM was supposed to be my "grab and go" to bring to informal jams and the like. So far it really shines on both modes of the ultra gain channel of my DSL40C. Where as the Standard is more suited to the classic gain channel. Overall I think it will be a very good compliment for the Standard.

Trending Topics