NGD 2014 R9

Scaster99

Silver Supporting Member
I finally pulled the trigger and got an R9. I searched and played a bunch of R7,8,9's and this one just had everything I was looking for. Really comfortabe neck and pretty light at 8lb 9oz. The Custom Buckers sound good but I changed the pickups to Tone master pickups PAF copies. Really great sounding pickups made in Long Island NY. Ive had it about a month now and I love it more every day. It sounds huge and plays really great. Funny how they sprayed inside the cavity to make the flame stand out inside the guitar. Between this my CS 335 and my 60's relic Strat I couldn't be happier. My Summer tour starts in july and I can't wait to get her on the road.

Last edited:

smcgov

Really nice...I never realized the back of the maple was the top of the control cavity.

SPROING!

That overspray is part of the "historic" business. Real 59s had overspray in the cavity. They've gone to a lot of effort to recreate all those weird details.

Ape Factory

That's probably the best southern rock I've seen...many had the "heart" way too big and it was just gaudy. But that's honestly hot.

Scaster99

Silver Supporting Member
That's probably the best southern rock I've seen...many had the "heart" way too big and it was just gaudy. But that's honestly hot.
Thanks, I actually didn't like any of the Southern Rock Tributes until I saw this one. The heart is definitely there but its more subtle than the other ones I have seen.

indyrunner03

That's a beautiful R9! Contrats! And, I agree with Ape Factory about the "heart" - yours looks much more understated (i.e., better) than most of the Southern Rock Tributes that I've seen.

Raymond Lin

Very nice Gibson!

That overspray is part of the "historic" business. Real 59s had overspray in the cavity. They've gone to a lot of effort to recreate all those weird details.
But they couldn't get the logo period correct, the pick up covers wrong, the board not BRA, the serial number a wrong font, the bezel curve is more flat than real R9.

The to do list to get them 100% or even 99% if you drop the BRW board, is very long, they have many years of milking this cow yet and many years of the slogan "we have made the closest and best replica off the real burst" yet.

Scaster99

Silver Supporting Member
Very nice Gibson!

But they couldn't get the logo period correct, the pick up covers wrong, the board not BRA, the serial number a wrong font, the bezel curve is more flat than real R9.

The to do list to get them 100% or even 99% if you drop the BRW board, is very long, they have many years of milking this cow yet and many years of the slogan "we have made the closest and best replica off the real burst" yet.

Thanks! yeah the historics aren't perfect replicas but luckily I don't care about that. The main selling points for me are the Neck shape on the R9's, the tone and a nice flame maple top. I got a really great deal on it as well :dude

Rango

Silver Supporting Member
Nice guitar! Hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine! :D

R9's play great!