NGD: 2015 Gibson SG Standard

GMGM

I thought I already posted this. But when I came to add some pics, I couldn't find it. Must not have hit submit. lol.

Anyway, I've been looking at 2014 Gibson's, intent on picking up an LP Jr or Melody Maker when everyone blows out their inventory at the end of the year.

While poking around the local GC, I saw the brass-zerofret-nut on an SG, and realized they already had the 2015s. So I gave it a whirl, and fell in love.

I've never been a Gibson sort of guy, even bashing certain design 'flaws' as I see them. But dangit, I couldn't help it. I needed to take this one home.

Here are the things I really really really like...
1) Frets are on top of the binding, no more stupid binding tabs to interfere with the playing surface.
2) Fretboard is wider, but string spacing is the same - BONUS!
3) Brass nut with zero fret - duh! Why hasn't every manufacturer made this standard?
4) Pickups are Classic '57s with single coil tap switches (push pull). I'm primarily a strat guy used to single coils, but I'm glad to report that the 57's sound good as either HB or SC.

What I still don't like...
1) Creepy Les Paul Hologram sticker, I originally disliked the headstock signature too - but it has since grown on me.
2) The case is hideous. It makes me cry at night.
3) Robot tuners. While they actually work pretty well - easy, accurate and quick - I think I'd rather tune by hand. I'm forcing myself to give them at least 6 months before I consider replacing them. I think they are a no-brainer for anyone who enjoys alternate tunings though.

the_rising

Gold Supporting Member
Cool.

I still have no passionate opinion on the 2015 Gibson stuff either way, but it seems a lot of folks that have actually played them like them (and it seems most folks who've interacted with the "zero fret nut" thing in person actually dig it too).

I actually dig that case. :)

GMGM

The way I see it this; I've always loved zero frets and brass nuts, add the superb fretwork - and there is at least $500 worth of upgrades I won't have to do myself.

I've seen plenty of "haterz" comments in the '15 line, but hopefully this just means there will be plenty to choose from at the end of 2015 when I come back and try to find one of these at blowout pricing...

humina humina humina

ledzep618

You bought a 2015 Gibson?!?!?! Time to turn in your TGP membership to the authorities.

Just kidding I bet it sounds and plays great. Like every other Gibson. Whiners be damned, glad you're happy.

But that case has to go...that might be the true 2015 travesty.

Dale

Nice! I like the case as well. I would like to try the neck and shorter frets and see how I deal with them.

GMGM

What'd that set you back?
They worked with me. I believe they were tagged at $1867 (give or take?). They knocked a little off that price, and let me use a 15% off web coupon. After tax, some snare heads, a pair of 10' cables, a couple boxes of strings, and a strap - I'm in for just under $1800.

Edit: That's $1800 for everything I listed -

techjunky

Silver Supporting Member
Congrats on the purchase! For the most part I have no qualms with the upgrades. Several of them are easy enough to ignore and have no impact on the instrument itself (especially the hologram).

The wide neck is what kills it for me. I played a new Gibson, and I did not find it comfortable at all. But I never had an issue with the old style, and its all personal preference. If you find it more comfortable, then that's great!

I actually like the adjustable nut. My basses (all Warwicks) have just-a-Nut adjustable nuts as all Warwicks have since the 90's. They're great. You can set the guitar up exactly how you want it. Most people won't notice or care, especially if it's cut right, but it's much easier to correct than a poorly cut nut, and gives you the option to tailor to your preference. Plus, with wider string retainers and a zero fret, it should eliminate binding. That's a big win in my mind too!

The case is hideous though. Seems like a step backwards.

GMGM

if nibs get in the way of your playing you're doing something wrong.
Nah...

They could install razor blades there, and I could still adapt my playing to avoid them. That's not the point.

The point is that those nubs are stupid to begin with.

My hatred of fretboard nubs runs deep. When I first got into fretwork, the first guitar I practiced on had those nubs. I spent more time fixing chips after trying to level those nubs than I did trimming the tang back and laying the new frets. "Mistakes were made". But I came out of it hating those nubs, and hating binding in general. I will never refret a bound board again - it's not worth the frustration.

Anyway - there is absolutely zero meaningful reason for those nubs to exist. The frets should ALWAYS extend to the edge of the fretboard.

custom53

3) Robot tuners. While they actually work pretty well - easy, accurate and quick - I think I'd rather tune by hand. I'm forcing myself to give them at least 6 months before I consider replacing them. I think they are a no-brainer for anyone who enjoys alternate tunings though.
Keep us posted on the tuners.. I haven't talked to anyone who has had them for any length of time.. I am very curious.. It seems like a great idea but I, like yourself, can't pull myself out of "tradition" so to speak.. I would like to try them though..

And you are right about the case.. It is hideous.. But it does the job..

TeleFromHelly

They worked with me. I believe they were tagged at $1867 (give or take?). They knocked a little off that price, and let me use a 15% off web coupon. After tax, some snare heads, a pair of 10' cables, a couple boxes of strings, and a strap - I'm in for just under $1800.

:eek: I got a new 2013 SG standard in the annual Gibson closeouts for $750 shipped. You could get a like new custom shop SG for what you paid, maybe look around before your return window closes. I like TGPers and don't want anyone throwing money away to that backwards company:phones

SPROING!

Nah...

They could install razor blades there, and I could still adapt my playing to avoid them. That's not the point.

The point is that those nubs are stupid to begin with.

My hatred of fretboard nubs runs deep. When I first got into fretwork, the first guitar I practiced on had those nubs. I spent more time fixing chips after trying to level those nubs than I did trimming the tang back and laying the new frets. "Mistakes were made". But I came out of it hating those nubs, and hating binding in general. I will never refret a bound board again - it's not worth the frustration.

Anyway - there is absolutely zero meaningful reason for those nubs to exist. The frets should ALWAYS extend to the edge of the fretboard.

I agree. That was a bad idea that hung around way too long.
I'm sorry, gibson, that it requires more skill to fret over binding but that's the way it should be done.

wcfields

Wow....why are the 2015's so expensive? That's ridiculous. I've seen used 2013's go for between $700 - $800....

Last edited:

Telechamp

I shoulda bought a 2013 Standard last year for $850 at GC's SG blow out... Still kicking myself for passing on that great deal... :(

GMGM

Keep us posted on the tuners..
Will do.

So far any "problems" I've had are of my own making. Getting used to it is the only real hangup so far. Like I said, I'm going to use it for 6 months before I make any decisions about replacing it. By then, I'll either hate it with my entire being - or I'll become dependant and switch all my guitars over to it. Once upon a time, we tuned by ear - with tuning forks and pitch pipes, lol.

I got a new 2013 SG standard in the annual Gibson closeouts for $750 shipped. You could get a like new custom shop SG for what you paid, maybe look around before your return window closes. I like TGPers and don't want anyone throwing money away to that backwards company
Wow....why are the 2015's so expensive? That's ridiculous. I've seen used 2003's go for between $700 - $800....
Honestly, I intended to get a 2014 closeout. To me the price increase may not be 100% justified - but it's not totally out of bounds either IMHO.

Sure, the robot tuners probably added a couple hundred more than I would have chosen. But I DEFINITELY would have chosen the frets-over-binding. Granted Gibson should have been doing it this way forever, but the fact is they didn't - and it does require more man hours. The brass nut is also going to add to costs, but is well worth it. There's a compound radius fretboard, which adds to the cost and complexity of the build (even with a Plek).

Truth is, Gibson has never felt this good to me. With an older model, I'd have needed to put in extra work to cut the nut so the strings didn't stand a 1/4" above the 1st fret (only a slight exxageration!). The would have annoyed me to the point of refretting (at least a couple hundred bucks).

WIth this guitart, it may cost more, but at least it's playable right out off the wall. And it has a dozen features that put it well ahead of any other SG I've seen.

Maybe I'll feel different after the honeymoon is over - but I don't think so. The guitar was just a little over $1500 of my total. I'm sure I could've saved some serious cash by waiting until the end of 2015 - but dangit, I wanted THIS guitar. I'm pretty happy with it so far.

Now, I just need to save my pennies to grab that double-cut next year.

Trending Topics