• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

NGD!!! 2015 Schecter USA Custom Shop Solo II

digitaljackson

Big fan of South Korean built Schecter guitars and have been wanting a USA custom shop Solo II. I submitted a build quote request with a vendor couple months back but never heard anything on it.

A 2015 used one showed up last week for sale and I jumped on it. Got it for half the price of a new one and, other than a small scratch on back side, it looks new.

It has different options than the standard custom shop build, all of which I had requested for the one I wanted built... 50's profile neck, Tulip tuners, and zebra pickups. The neck is the big one I wanted since all my Korean built Schecters have relatively thin necks, but I really wanted a Schecter with neck similar to my Les Paul 50's Standard. Pickups are Route 57 Zebras, which are usually only made with all black bobbins or nickel covers. I would have done a Sunset Strip (B) and Pasadena (N), but can always change pickups later. The only other thing I would have done different is nickel hardware instead of chrome, but turns out the chrome looks pretty nice on this one.

This must have been a NAMM display model as there is a taped label on case end that says NAMM. Very impressed with build quality, fretwork, and tone so far. It does not disappoint! It's got some pretty crazy figuring on the top.

Hard to find a lot of info on Schecter custom shop guitars, so a couple things surprised me about this model.

1. First, it's finished in Nitro. That's not stated on the Schecter website when configuring build. Is this common for a custom shop build?

2. Other than the angle arm cut, the top is flat. I was expecting it to be arched similar to a Les Paul or Korean built Solo II's I have. Not a bad thing, just unexpected.

3. Instead of binding on body, the maple cap has a natural finish on edge. Nice touch... see pics.

4. Has a satin finish neck. Another nice feature but not sure if this is standard.

And, now for the pics!

Last edited:

WorstBandNameEver

Silver Supporting Member
Wow, that thing looks awesome! I have occasionally looked up custom shop Schetchers but assumed they all had thin necks and that's a deal-breaker for me. How much do these run new, $3000-4000?

digitaljackson

Wow, that thing looks awesome! I have occasionally looked up custom shop Schetchers but assumed they all had thin necks and that's a deal-breaker for me. How much do these run new, $3000-4000?
There are two ways to have a custom shop Schecter built. Using the configurator the price is $3800-$4000. This will give you basic options (neck profile is not one of them). Or you can go full custom which gets more expensive. I submitted the build that never happened using the configurator and then requested the neck, pickup and hardware changes to see if they would do it for additional cost. Probably would have gotten up to around $4250-4500 with those changes.

digitaljackson

Yo, that guitar is special. Gorgeous. That binding is super sexy. How's it sound?
Thanks, I haven't really had a chance to crank up a amp with it... school night and all that. But, it sounds awesome from the low volume playing I've done so far. Guitar has a nice resonance and warm sound to it. The route 57 pickups are a great vintage style PAF... also have them in another Schecter guitar.

Zado

Definitely a stunner, kudos.
Did you submit the quote for the un happened custom thru a dealer?

Alan Dunn

Nice guitar. I have a Sunset II custom.
I'd love another but in Australia D'addario are the distributor and only bring in a few Nick Johnston models a year - and prices are $US6k just for them.
The fancy ones are even more again.

digitaljackson

Definitely a stunner, kudos.
Did you submit the quote for the un happened custom thru a dealer?
Based on recommendations I've seen on this forum, I contacted Drum City for the quote submission. It was only through email, but last I heard was "submitted and should hear back soon". Couple months and no response, but to be fair, I never checked in to see what happened. It all worked out in the end.

Zado

Nice guitar. I have a Sunset II custom.
I'd love another but in Australia D'addario are the distributor and only bring in a few Nick Johnston models a year - and prices are $US6k just for them.
The fancy ones are even more again.
There are plenty of USA Schecs here in Italy, you may save a few quids importing one from here I guess?

Zado

Based on recommendations I've seen on this forum, I contacted Drum City for the quote submission. It was only through email, but last I heard was "submitted and should hear back soon". Couple months and no response, but to be fair, I never checked in to see what happened. It all worked out in the end.

Mmm that's weird, DCGL has quite a name when it come to customer support. Maybe they haven't received any inputs from Schecter yet.

How you like the Royte 56 pickups? Never had chance to try those..

Trending Topics

Top Bottom