NGD: 2016 Les Paul Studio Faded T

doublescale1

Suhr S-Classic, V60LP's, Soft V neck
Gold Supporting Member
Well, I took the leap. Last year I wanted to like an SG Special with the G-Force auto-tuner. Suffice to say within 30 days I was waiting for a new G-Force tuner replacement from Gibson after the orig. did a total melt-down; it would not stop pulling g thru hi-e sharp by half to 3/4 step. It would not preform a master re-set so the recalibration process could not be done and have it mean/fix anything. It worked nicely for 4 weeks then pooped the bed. I put a set of Gibson Klusons on the guitar and sold the new G-force when it arrived, then sold the guitar - did love the '60's Zebra pu's though. Now with a 2016 Les Paul Studio Faded T (for Traditional w/no auto tuner machine) I find that guitar to be an amazing acquisition. The frets are med-jumbo and are very nicely finished, as good as any available from a any factory install. The Worn Cherry finish is a satin nitro finish w/filler. The only misstep was right where the neck joins the body at the heal on the bottom - there is a visible 1/16th wide sanding gouge the width of the neck where it joins the body that was not smoothed out, but that is the only major wtf; that flaw is a never seen unless you turn it over and look for it, still a PRS SE doesn't show up with something like that - 1 demerit for Gibson QC on that. But lets talk about what a Les Paul should sound like; this '16 Studio Faded T delivers very high scores on that front across the board. The neck is a an impeccable med-jumbo fretted great 50's comfortable Gibson handful that will not cramp your hand in a 90 min. set (not an over-the-top baseball bat by any means but not a 60's Slim Taper by any means). The Burst Bucker Pro's sound very good, so good that at least for now, I'm not inclined to swap them out. I'm directly comparing these A5 mag BB Pro's to the very good set of WCR Crossroad Neck/Darkburst Bridge set in my R9, they are a very close tone wash. This is the first set of BB's I've had that were not harsh on the high end - it sounds like a nice Les Paul (whattaya know). This guitar is a super solid representative of the Les Paul family of hot-sh*t guitars for any number of the right reasons. That one sanding glitch at the bottom of the neck/heal is the only finish misstep. The rest of the finish is flawless, the neck back is fast and non-sticky, the hardware is very solid (Kluson tuners smooth and solid, all the vol/tone pots same, Bridge is a rock. The setup from the Factory with 9's (?) was fine, but the neck is a little too flat from the store so a little less than a quarter turn truss rod tweak is in order, and I'll have the nut filed for 10's. That is the least amount of work I've had to do on a new Gibson in many, many years. The SE 245 hardware, especially the vol/tone pots, on the guitar that was in the same store that day was not nearly as nice or solid feeling as what comes on the Gibson. For a no-frills workhorse Les Paul, the 2016 Studio Faded T's are tough to beat for build, feel, tone and price. That's what my experience was last week anyway. So I'm officially in the honeymoon phase with this Les Paul. Will gig it in 2 weeks.

mesa/kramer

Damn that was a hard read FIFY

Well, I took the leap.

Last year I wanted to like an SG Special with the G-Force auto-tuner.
Suffice to say within 30 days I was waiting for a new G-Force tuner replacement from Gibson after the orig.
Did a total melt-down; it would not stop pulling g thru hi-e sharp by half to 3/4 step.
It would not preform a master re-set so the recalibration process could not be done and have it mean/fix anything.
It worked nicely for 4 weeks then pooped the bed.
I put a set of Gibson Klusons on the guitar and sold the new G-force when it arrived, then sold the guitar - did love the '60's Zebra pu's though.

Now with a 2016 Les Paul Studio Faded T (for Traditional w/no auto tuner machine) I find that guitar to be an amazing acquisition.
The frets are med-jumbo and are very nicely finished, as good as any available from a any factory install.
The Worn Cherry finish is a satin nitro finish w/filler.
The only misstep was right where the neck joins the body at the heal on the bottom
(- there is a visible 1/16th wide sanding gouge the width of the neck where it joins the body that was not smoothed out, but that is the only major wtf)
That flaw is a never seen unless you turn it over and look for it, still a PRS SE doesn't show up with something like that (- 1 demerit for Gibson QC on that.)

But lets talk about what a Les Paul should sound like; this '16 Studio Faded T delivers very high scores on that front across the board.
The neck is a an impeccable med-jumbo fretted great 50's comfortable Gibson handful that will not cramp your hand in a 90 min. set (not an over-the-top baseball bat by any means but not a 60's Slim Taper by any means).
The Burst Bucker Pro's sound very good, so good that at least for now, I'm not inclined to swap them out.
I'm directly comparing these A5 mag BB Pro's to the very good set of WCR Crossroad Neck/Darkburst Bridge set in my R9, they are a very close tone wash.
This is the first set of BB's I've had that were not harsh on the high end (- it sounds like a nice Les Paul (whattaya know).
This guitar is a super solid representative of the Les Paul family of hot-sh*t guitars for any number of the right reasons.
That one sanding glitch at the bottom of the neck/heal is the only finish misstep.
The rest of the finish is flawless, the neck back is fast and non-sticky, the hardware is very solid (Kluson tuners smooth and solid, all the vol/tone pots same, Bridge is a rock).
The setup from the Factory with 9's (?) was fine, but the neck is a little too flat from the store so a little less than a quarter turn truss rod tweak is in order, and I'll have the nut filed for 10's.

That is the least amount of work I've had to do on a new Gibson in many, many years.
The SE 245 hardware, especially the vol/tone pots, on the guitar that was in the same store that day was not nearly as nice or solid feeling as what comes on the Gibson.
For a no-frills workhorse Les Paul, the 2016 Studio Faded T's are tough to beat for build, feel, tone and price.

That's what my experience was last week anyway.
So I'm officially in the honeymoon phase with this Les Paul.

Will gig it in 2 weeks.

And.............:worthless

Poseidal

Pics!

BTW the stock gauge is 9-46 (using Cleartones), so you shouldn't need to file 4-6 on the nut.

Tbone135

I bought the exact same guitar a couple of months ago, it's a great value (especially for the deal I got!) and plays and sounds wonderful. Will post a pic when I can.

doublescale1

Suhr S-Classic, V60LP's, Soft V neck
Gold Supporting Member
Pics!

BTW the stock gauge is 9-46 (using Cleartones), so you shouldn't need to file 4-6 on the nut.
Thanks - Sat. morning I'm having the nut filed to take my usual string set which is 10-46 so the E/B will need attention in that dept.

Trending Topics