NGD - 2018 Gibson SG Standard in Autumn Shade

madhermit

I finally got me an SG after drooling for years. I am a burst guy, and they occasionally make them in a finish I like. I know it is against the laws of nature, but I am not a fan of heritage cherry or ebony finishes, or pretty much any finish on an SG :)

But I love me a burst.

I was swayed by the pictures of the Autumn Burst 2018 SG, but when I saw it in person, it was more like a red guitar with a VERY mild burst. I ended up ordering one recently after seeing they won't be available anymore, so my local dealer hunted one down. It showed up and was the same red/burst looking finish (nothing like photos) and I was going to buy it, except that it had a bid ding in the front, and a few more around it.

So my dealer found me another one. This one LOOKS like the photos, which I find interesting. Looks like a totally different finish. I love it. Came home with me and I had a good romp on it last night. Very midrangey pickups, which I dig. That is the SG sound in my head. My little guy got me to add the amber knobs instead of the black that came with it. I kinda like it.

Anyway, thought I would share. The finish thing is odd to me. Anyone else notice this?

I also posted this on the SG forum.

madhermit

Forgot to ask/mention...

I put it on a strap and there is no neck dive, but MAN does that neck strap button make me nervous. I have always used Schaller strap locks, but those would stick out too far, right into me I would think.

What do you fine people use on an SG for strap locks? (The strap button is right on the heel).

And boy O boy do I LOVE the smell of a new Gibson! Is it the case or the guitar/finish?

HoboMan

Silver Supporting Member
Beautiful SG! Congrats.
What PUs are they putting in them these days?

I use Schaller strap locks on mine with no issues.

HoboMan

Silver Supporting Member
BTW, if you want a darker fretboard hit it with some fretboard conditioner. I just got a new Les Paul and the rosewood was very light like yours. I hit it with some Guitar Honey and now it looks almost like ebony.

madhermit

Beautiful SG! Congrats.
What PUs are they putting in them these days?

I use Schaller strap locks on mine with no issues.
Thanks for the info. They are 61R and 61T pickups. From what I gather, they are Burst Buckers, but they do something like swap the coils on each humbucker (they are not balanced) and/or changed the magnet to AlNiCo V.

And yes yes yes to the fretboard. I haven't restrung it yet, so that will happen when I do. My LP Tribute has a VERY pale fretboard that darkened nicely, but it needs it again already. It was VERY dry.

Ace1432

GREAT looking SG there! that is such a clean burst, it follows those bevels so cleanly and really compliments the top finish color

spaceman_spiff

Silver Supporting Member
Beautiful SG, congrats! While I really love Heritage Cherry, the "off" colors/finishes for SGs are just really cool. I have a 2014 (small pickguard) with a similar finish -- I think they called it Desertburst, love that guitar. I like the finish on yours even better.

madhermit

Beautiful SG, congrats! While I really love Heritage Cherry, the "off" colors/finishes for SGs are just really cool. I have a 2014 (small pickguard) that with a similar finish -- I think they called it Desertburst, love that guitar. I like the finish on yours even better.
I like that finish too! I think there was one called vintage burst too that I liked.

JAP09

Supporting Member
Forgot to ask/mention...

I put it on a strap and there is no neck dive, but MAN does that neck strap button make me nervous. I have always used Schaller strap locks, but those would stick out too far, right into me I would think.

What do you fine people use on an SG for strap locks? (The strap button is right on the heel).

And boy O boy do I LOVE the smell of a new Gibson! Is it the case or the guitar/finish?
The guitar looks great man! I prefer those little rubber washers to strap locks personally. I’ve had strap locks break, come loose, strip out, fall off, etc., and I got tired of it. The rubber strap button washers have always worked without fail.

madhermit

The guitar looks great man! I prefer those little rubber washers to strap locks personally. I’ve had strap locks break, come loose, strip out, fall off, etc., and I got tired of it. The rubber strap button washers have always worked without fail.
Not sure I have seen rubber ones. I have seen lots of plasric ones with the part that turns (Dunlop?) Do the rubber ones have a brand name?

tarheelalum

I also have a 2018 Gibson standard but my neck dive bombs like eddie van halen with those grovers. I love the neck shape on it but I just wish Gibson would make an unfinished neck. I don't care for the feel of paint on my necks. Tuning can also be an issue if I don't play it lightly. But maybe I just play to hard. The only guitar I own that stays in tune perfectly is a Japanese made Ibanez with an original edge trem. But I have to say my SG is a very nice playing guitar. Light weight and I like the 61 pickups a lot for rock and metal. I even like the cleans on it. Yours is a real beauty. I love the finish on it. It looks real classy.

your name here

Supporting Member
This. They work perfect, are cheap - on Amazon or wherever in bulk bags as bottle gaskets - and are easily interchangeable w/every strap.

mrsongbird

Forgot to ask/mention...

That is a really awesome color- you don’t see a lot like that but it’s also not totally left field. Beautiful.

Like others, I use a standard strap with rubber washers- you can get them at any hardware store or at a brewery supplier (get a bag of 100 for ten bucks or something and give them to your friends!).

TheGuildedAge

Forgot to ask/mention...

Maybe try a large strap button like PRS has. Or a locking strap.

Trending Topics