NGD - 2018 Gibson SG Standard in Autumn Shade

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by madhermit, Mar 30, 2019.

1. madhermit

madhermit Supporting Member

I finally got me an SG after drooling for years. I am a burst guy, and they occasionally make them in a finish I like. I know it is against the laws of nature, but I am not a fan of heritage cherry or ebony finishes, or pretty much any finish on an SG :)

But I love me a burst.

I was swayed by the pictures of the Autumn Burst 2018 SG, but when I saw it in person, it was more like a red guitar with a VERY mild burst. I ended up ordering one recently after seeing they won't be available anymore, so my local dealer hunted one down. It showed up and was the same red/burst looking finish (nothing like photos) and I was going to buy it, except that it had a bid ding in the front, and a few more around it.

So my dealer found me another one. This one LOOKS like the photos, which I find interesting. Looks like a totally different finish. I love it. Came home with me and I had a good romp on it last night. Very midrangey pickups, which I dig. That is the SG sound in my head. My little guy got me to add the amber knobs instead of the black that came with it. I kinda like it.

Anyway, thought I would share. The finish thing is odd to me. Anyone else notice this?
    [​IMG]

I also posted this on the SG forum.

rauchman, twisty571, Digidog and 37 others like this.
  2. Phil the Kill Bill V2 guy

Phil the Kill Bill V2 guy Member

Very sharp looking SG.
    Congrats.....

madhermit likes this.
  3. HRM

HRM Member

Hot damn, bro.

Hot damn.

madhermit likes this.
  4. madhermit

Forgot to ask/mention...

I put it on a strap and there is no neck dive, but MAN does that neck strap button make me nervous. I have always used Schaller strap locks, but those would stick out too far, right into me I would think.

What do you fine people use on an SG for strap locks? (The strap button is right on the heel).

And boy O boy do I LOVE the smell of a new Gibson! Is it the case or the guitar/finish?

5. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

Beautiful SG! Congrats.
    What PUs are they putting in them these days?

I use Schaller strap locks on mine with no issues.

6. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

BTW, if you want a darker fretboard hit it with some fretboard conditioner. I just got a new Les Paul and the rosewood was very light like yours. I hit it with some Guitar Honey and now it looks almost like ebony.

7. Seth L

Seth L Member

Govers and no neck dive? That goes against the TGP laws of physics.

madhermit and tarheelalum like this.
  8. madhermit

Thanks for the info. They are 61R and 61T pickups. From what I gather, they are Burst Buckers, but they do something like swap the coils on each humbucker (they are not balanced) and/or changed the magnet to AlNiCo V.

And yes yes yes to the fretboard. I haven't restrung it yet, so that will happen when I do. My LP Tribute has a VERY pale fretboard that darkened nicely, but it needs it again already. It was VERY dry.

9. Ace1432

Ace1432 Member

GREAT looking SG there! that is such a clean burst, it follows those bevels so cleanly and really compliments the top finish color

madhermit likes this.
  10. ReddRanger

ReddRanger Supporting Member

Congrats! Beautiful SG! I use the Dunlop strap locks on mine. They work great IMO.

madhermit likes this.
  11. spaceman_spiff

spaceman_spiff Supporting Member

Beautiful SG, congrats! While I really love Heritage Cherry, the "off" colors/finishes for SGs are just really cool. I have a 2014 (small pickguard) with a similar finish -- I think they called it Desertburst, love that guitar. I like the finish on yours even better.

madhermit likes this.
  12. madhermit

I like that finish too! I think there was one called vintage burst too that I liked.

13. Oriondk

Oriondk Member

A beauty! Congratulations!

madhermit likes this.
  14. JAP09

JAP09 Member

The guitar looks great man! I prefer those little rubber washers to strap locks personally. I’ve had strap locks break, come loose, strip out, fall off, etc., and I got tired of it. The rubber strap button washers have always worked without fail.

your name here and madhermit like this.
  15. David Garner

David Garner Supporting Member

Dude, that is beautiful. Congratulations!

madhermit likes this.
  16. madhermit

Not sure I have seen rubber ones. I have seen lots of plasric ones with the part that turns (Dunlop?) Do the rubber ones have a brand name?

17. tarheelalum

tarheelalum Member

I also have a 2018 Gibson standard but my neck dive bombs like eddie van halen with those grovers. I love the neck shape on it but I just wish Gibson would make an unfinished neck. I don't care for the feel of paint on my necks. Tuning can also be an issue if I don't play it lightly. But maybe I just play to hard. The only guitar I own that stays in tune perfectly is a Japanese made Ibanez with an original edge trem. But I have to say my SG is a very nice playing guitar. Light weight and I like the 61 pickups a lot for rock and metal. I even like the cleans on it. Yours is a real beauty. I love the finish on it. It looks real classy.

18. your name here

your name here Supporting Member

This. They work perfect, are cheap - on Amazon or wherever in bulk bags as bottle gaskets - and are easily interchangeable w/every strap.

19. mrsongbird

mrsongbird Member

That is a really awesome color- you don’t see a lot like that but it’s also not totally left field. Beautiful.

Like others, I use a standard strap with rubber washers- you can get them at any hardware store or at a brewery supplier (get a bag of 100 for ten bucks or something and give them to your friends!).

20. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Supporting Member

Maybe try a large strap button like PRS has. Or a locking strap.