NGD: 2022 Epiphone Les Paul Special TV Yellow

seward

Silver Supporting Member
I just got a new 2022 Epiphone Les Paul Special TV Yellow, and it's been a very positive experience. This is my second p90 guitar; the first one was a Gibson Les Paul Special Tribute, which I bought last Summer. It's also my second Epiphone. I recently bought an Epiphone 59 Les Paul Standard, and it went so well that I really wanted another Epiphone, so I got the Les Paul Special. I've read a bunch of reviews, and there's a lot of positive press about these, and I don't want to be too hype-y about it, but this is an amazing guitar for the money. It's a big, hefty slab with a baseball-bat neck, and it sounds glassy and warm. Lots of fun.

IMG_9100.JPG

IMG_9065.JPG

The guitar is gorgeous, and a handful. As noted, there's a lot of positive press about these guitars, great pro and user reviews. They all talk about the superior parts, build quality and tone. I've owned a bunch of $1K guitars that this one easily competes with, in terms of build quality and tone. I would add that this $449 guitar has better intonation than a couple of my Gibson Tributes, including the Gibson Les Paul Special Tribute, and that's with a wraparound Lightning Bolt bridge (which is actually a little more adjustable than the Tributes)! That deserves mention. It's got a big neck, apparently; I don't really notice, even though I think I don't like fat necks. Supposedly, big fat mahogany necks are part of the Special sound...is this something that anyone else has heard?

These p90s are warmer and fatter than the Gibson p90s, but they still have the glassiness that I love in p90s. I really like Gibson p90s, and they're a candidate to swap in, because of the quick-connect, but it's not urgent. These are definitely not the noisiest p90s I've played, either. Sometimes they're downright quiet. The guitar is satisfying to play, in a way that I thought I had to pay more money for, and it doesn't get embarrassed when I play it through my better amplifiers.

I'm really glad that I got over the headstock snobbery that I like to think I don't have. For real results, check back in six months, and see if this is still around (I hope it is). For now, though, I feel like I (finally) found the sort of deals on guitars that I'm used to hearing about from others. This guitar is a hidden gem, and if Epiphone has more guitars like this, and the 59 Les Paul Standard, then I would like to know about them.

Last edited:

Bluedano1

I just got a new 2022 Epiphone Les Paul Special TV Yellow, and it's been a very positive experience. This is my second p90 guitar; the first one was a Gibson Les Paul Special Tribute, which I bought last Summer. It's also my second Epiphone. I recently bought an Epiphone 59 Les Paul Standard, and it went so well that I really wanted another Epiphone, so I got the Les Paul Special. I've read a bunch of reviews, and there's a lot of positive press about these, and I don't want to be too hype-y about it, but this is an amazing guitar for the money. It's a big, hefty slab with a baseball-bat neck, and it sounds glassy and warm. Lots of fun.

View attachment 592109

View attachment 592110

The guitar is gorgeous, and a handful. As noted, there's a lot of positive press about these guitars, great pro and user reviews. They all talk about the superior parts, build quality and tone. I've owned a bunch of $1K guitars that this one easily competes with, in terms of build quality and tone. I would add that this $449 guitar has better intonation than a couple of my Gibson Tributes, including the Gibson Les Paul Special Tribute, and that's with a wraparound Lightning Bolt bridge (which is actually a little more adjustable than the Tributes)! That deserves mention. It's got a big neck, apparently; I don't really notice, even though I think I don't like fat necks. Supposedly, big fat mahogany necks are part of the Special sound...is this something that anyone else has heard?

These p90s are warmer and fatter than the Gibson p90s, but they still have the glassiness that I love in p90s. I really like Gibson p90s, and they're a candidate to swap in, because of the quick-connect, but it's not urgent. These are definitely not the noisiest p90s I've played, either. Sometimes they're downright quiet. Like the Epiphone Les Paul Standard, this doesn't sound like a $2K guitar, and it won't replace my Gibson Studio, but (like the 59) it makes a great #2 (or 3). It's satisfying to play, in a way that I thought I had to pay more money for, and it doesn't get embarrassed when I play it through my better amplifiers.

I'm really glad that I got over the headstock snobbery that I like to think I don't have. For real results, check back in six months, and see if this is still around (I hope it is). For now, though, I feel like I (finally) found the sort of deals on guitars that I'm used to hearing about from others. This guitar is a hidden gem, and if Epiphone has more guitars like this, and the 59 Les Paul Standard, then I would like to know about them.
Very cool guitar!

I'm a 'casual pro' player with an Epiphone/Squier budget.
I just mean I do gig a lot; all small/local, and use all cheap gear, but all sounds good.

I got a 2018 Epi SG Pro ( Cherry SG, coil-taps) that I got in 2020, which I absolutely love, and as someone who finds real Les Pauls too heavy ( I'm too heavy- so no heavy guitars!), and don't have a guitar with P-90's,
I'm definitely looking at this guitar to be my next electric!
I have no 'duplicates' of any style guitar ( 1 Strat, 1Tele, 1 SG...) and only bring 1 guitar to a gig and this way ( besides just keeping things portable), I enjoy playing all kinds of music coming out thru the one guitar.

Fell in love with this Epi Special ( and it's great reviews and demos) the moment I saw this one!

I know this is maybe 'stretching' things but much in the same way I think of an SG as being Gibson's response to a Strat ( I know it has humbuckers, but I'm talking a more modern marketing style to compete...) I think of the Les Paul Special ( w/P-90's) as being a counterpart to a Tele!

Want this Epi- maybe this year...

Rekonizefull

I got one of the epi 335 inspired by gibson about a year ago and love it. I'm 46 and been through a boatload of guitars over the years. I started at 11, so alot of gear has come and gone. I read some reviews about quality and they were mixed so I was apprehensive at first. But I ordered it and it's been my main player about 16 months now. I had to set it up for my tastes but that's normal. I think epiphone is on the ball now and I hope the quality stays like this. Everything is solid and straight, nothing needs replaced and the volume and tones are useful all the way down! The neck is solid as hell. It's like a slim taper with a bit more heft. If they keep it up I may have a tv yellow p90 for slide soon

Bluedano1

I'll pile on more!
I think this goes across much of the entire Epiphone line of say the last 10 years or so ( around 2013>) but it seems like Epi really upped their game with pickups and electronics.

I bought 4-5 Epiphones from the early '90's-2008, as they had 'Gibson styles' that I could afford and were beautiful; pretty well made.
But they were ALL frustrating as they had maybe too hot humbuckers and even with Tone controls cranked, lost any Treble/definition as soon as you backed guitar Volume knobs off from full UP.
I'm a relatively clean player and I could never get the full-clear Gibson tone I was hoping for, yet I'd keep selling an Epi, buying an Epi, hoping for better. Then I gave up.

That all changed in 2020, getting the SG!

seward

Silver Supporting Member
Very cool guitar!

I'm a 'casual pro' player with an Epiphone/Squier budget.
I just mean I do gig a lot; all small/local, and use all cheap gear, but all sounds good.

I got a 2018 Epi SG Pro ( Cherry SG, coil-taps) that I got in 2020, which I absolutely love, and as someone who finds real Les Pauls too heavy ( I'm too heavy- so no heavy guitars!), and don't have a guitar with P-90's,
I'm definitely looking at this guitar to be my next electric!
I have no 'duplicates' of any style guitar ( 1 Strat, 1Tele, 1 SG...) and only bring 1 guitar to a gig and this way ( besides just keeping things portable), I enjoy playing all kinds of music coming out thru the one guitar.

Fell in love with this Epi Special ( and it's great reviews and demos) the moment I saw this one!

I know this is maybe 'stretching' things but much in the same way I think of an SG as being Gibson's response to a Strat ( I know it has humbuckers, but I'm talking a more modern marketing style to compete...) I think of the Les Paul Special ( w/P-90's) as being a counterpart to a Tele!

Want this Epi- maybe this year...

I think of the SG as Gibson's Strat, too! This guitar is definitely not in the Les Paul weight range. I think it's just under 8 lbs., which is hefty for a Special, but not for an LP. I also think it can be gigged...that's one of the intangible, no-definition-but-I-know-it-when-I-hear-it qualities that guitar have, or not, and this one has it. I think that you could record with it, and I think you could take it on a stage.

I got one of the epi 335 inspired by gibson about a year ago and love it. I'm 46 and been through a boatload of guitars over the years. I started at 11, so alot of gear has come and gone. I read some reviews about quality and they were mixed so I was apprehensive at first. But I ordered it and it's been my main player about 16 months now. I had to set it up for my tastes but that's normal. I think epiphone is on the ball now and I hope the quality stays like this. Everything is solid and straight, nothing needs replaced and the volume and tones are useful all the way down! The neck is solid as hell. It's like a slim taper with a bit more heft. If they keep it up I may have a tv yellow p90 for slide soon

Epiphone seems to be trying to establish some cred, beginning with the Inspired By line, although I should say that they may already have had cred, and I just wasn't paying attention. Honestly, I do wonder if I've wasted a few years spending too much on guitars, when I could have been buying Epiphones.

I was also looking at those 335s. I didn't realize they were also Inspired By. Now they get another look...

seward

Silver Supporting Member
I'll pile on more!
I think this goes across much of the entire Epiphone line of say the last 10 years or so ( around 2013>) but it seems like Epi really upped their game with pickups and electronics.

I bought 4-5 Epiphones from the early '90's-2008, as they had 'Gibson styles' that I could afford and were beautiful; pretty well made.
But they were ALL frustrating as they had maybe too hot humbuckers and even with Tone controls cranked, lost any Treble/definition as soon as you backed guitar Volume knobs off from full UP.
I'm a relatively clean player and I could never get the full-clear Gibson tone I was hoping for, yet I'd keep selling an Epi, buying an Epi, hoping for better. Then I gave up.

The Epi 59 LP Standard gives me just enough of that Gibson clean tone. Again, I can't define it, but a bystander would be able to see the difference in my playing style, and time spent with the guitar, etc. It doesn't sound as good as my 2022 Gibson Studio; that guitar is a brilliant instrument. But it sounds better, clean, than any of the $1K, Pro-tier superstrats that I played, straight-up, no questions asked (however, it does not have a tremolo system), and it turned out (and I didn't know this until I played them) that clean tone was more important to me than trem bars. So the Epi 59 really feels like a win, and I would like to know if Epiphone is making other guitars that are similarly excellent and inexpensive. I'd like to know if anyone has played the Sire 335 and the Epi...the Epiphone is definitely easier to get.

Last edited:

Bluedano1

I think of the SG as Gibson's Strat, too! This guitar is definitely not in the Les Paul weight range. I think it's just under 8 lbs., which is hefty for a Special, but not for an LP. I also think it can be gigged...that's one of the intangible, no-definition-but-I-know-it-when-I-hear-it qualities that guitar have, or not, and this one has it. I think that you could record with it, and I think you could take it on a stage.

Epiphone seems to be trying to establish some cred, beginning with the Inspired By line, although I should say that they may already have had cred, and I just wasn't paying attention. Honestly, I do wonder if I've wasted a few years spending too much on guitars, when I could have been buying Epiphones.

I was also looking at those 335s. I didn't realize they were also Inspired By. Now they get another look...

I can't afford anything now ( just got a Squier Tele Thinline!) but Sweetwater in the past, has carried that Epi LP Special at say 7.5 lbs.
So I will look for that when I can afford ( and SW has a few in stock)

I bet that fat neck is fun!
( have owned a few before, but not currently)

Rekonizefull

I'll pile on more!

Yeah I don't know about earlier models, I was in the shredder charvel neck phase thru 90s, but the tone and volume pots are really good. I usually ride that line between clean and dirty with this 335, and the tone control is rarely at 10. Even when I get down to 2-3 for horn like stuff there is lots of clarity and no mud at all. The rotomatic tuners and alnico pro classic pups don't need replaced either. Before I thought I'd replace if needed, but it's nice to get a guitar that I'm not swapping parts after a year and half

seward

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah I don't know about earlier models, I was in the shredder charvel neck phase thru 90s, but the tone and volume pots are really good. I usually ride that line between clean and dirty with this 335, and the tone control is rarely at 10. Even when I get down to 2-3 for horn like stuff there is lots of clarity and no mud at all. The rotomatic tuners and alnico pro classic pups don't need replaced either. Before I thought I'd replace if needed, but it's nice to get a guitar that I'm not swapping parts after a year and half

Controls are great on this guitar, which matters for p90s. It's a subject in itself...these do the thing where you turn the gain way up on your amp or pedal, and then dial back the volume on the guitar and voila. And single-coils and humbuckers don't do that. And that's just one little thing. Lots to explore with p90s. People say it; it is true.

Last edited:

Rekonizefull

p90s, it's a subject in itself...Yeah, these do the thing where you turn the gain way up on your amp or pedal, and then dial back the volume on the guitar and voila. And single-coils and humbuckers don't do that. And that's just one little thing. Lots to explore with p90s. People say it; it is true.
They seem to be using the right combo of pups and pots these days. I have 335 with HBs, but I do have a tele with p90 neck that just howls for slide guitar. They def have a vibe that hb and small bar singles cant do. There's no denying that

Frank67

Same experience here - got 3 IBG Les Pauls last year: 50s, 59 and special. They all came with bad strings, no setup and dry fretboards - BUT - with a little TLC they all turned into great playing, great sounding instruments. When I rehearse, I can‘t really say that in that context any of my Epis play or sound worse than my R7.

They don‘t need anything changed IMHO. The only one of the three I did mod was the 59 - i wanted a „do it all LP“ and changed pickups (Burstbuckers are fine but not my thing), Jimmy Page wiring, roller nut and Duesenberg tremolo. Not necessary but fun and it sounds and plays great.

NSDQRKR

Awesome...enjoy the new guitar.

Epiphone has upped their game big time...lots of folks commenting on here. Better electronics...better pickups and new headstock design.

Bluedano1

I do love the TV yellow on the Special.

But I think it would be cool if they did this guitar in a Cherry Mahogany too. Just dig that color w/ the woodgrain of the mahogany ( same with that Cherry finish on a maple 335)

Burstbucker

View attachment 592109

View attachment 592110

These p90s are warmer and fatter than the Gibson p90s, but they still have the glassiness that I love in p90s. I really like Gibson p90s, and they're a candidate to swap in, because of the quick-connect, but it's not urgent. These are definitely not the noisiest p90s I've played, either. Sometimes they're downright quiet. Like the Epiphone Les Paul Standard, this doesn't sound like a $2K guitar, and it won't replace my Gibson Studio, but (like the 59) it makes a great #2 (or 3). It's satisfying to play, in a way that I thought I had to pay more money for, and it doesn't get embarrassed when I play it through my better amplifiers.

Yeah, these guitars are excellent!

I just got a lightly used one maybe five or six weeks ago and I can’t say enough about it, Epiphone is kicking butt these days!

I really need to try one of these or the Junior out, not sure if I'll get on with the neck but they seem like great guitars and are more appealing than the cheaper Gibson's to me. Wish they did some different colours on the Special, black or white would be nice - I don't think I can pull off TV Yellow!

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom