NGD: 2022 Epiphone Les Paul Special TV Yellow

macrossgeorge

Gold Supporting Member
Congratulations! You chose wisely!

I have the same guitar, a 2021 model and it is absolutely killer.

I thought I would "upgrade" to a USA Gibson Les Paul Special, bought one for around $1,400 and the Epiphone was a better guitar in every way. The Gibson had sharp frets on both sides, was generally sloppy built, and the Epiphone felt and sounded better. I sent the Gibson back and kept the Epiphone.

And I love this guitar so much that I bought a second one for my friend's recording studio in LA so that I can play it when I visit him and jam there (and so that he has a nice guitar for the studio).

The inspired by gibson Epiphone line 2020-2022 is just killer. The fat neck and fat pickups on this guitar provide such a pleasing playing and sounding experience. Glad you got one too! This model is a present time legend and I imagine that in the future it will be a desirable model too but maybe they will just keep making them.

M

Member 206436

That's a nice special you have there! I tried the same model a couple years back and it was great. Enjoy!

Burstbucker

Very cool guitar!

I'm a 'casual pro' player with an Epiphone/Squier budget.
I just mean I do gig a lot; all small/local, and use all cheap gear, but all sounds good.

I got a 2018 Epi SG Pro ( Cherry SG, coil-taps) that I got in 2020, which I absolutely love, and as someone who finds real Les Pauls too heavy ( I'm too heavy- so no heavy guitars!), and don't have a guitar with P-90's,
I'm definitely looking at this guitar to be my next electric!
I have no 'duplicates' of any style guitar ( 1 Strat, 1Tele, 1 SG...) and only bring 1 guitar to a gig and this way ( besides just keeping things portable), I enjoy playing all kinds of music coming out thru the one guitar.

Fell in love with this Epi Special ( and it's great reviews and demos) the moment I saw this one!

I know this is maybe 'stretching' things but much in the same way I think of an SG as being Gibson's response to a Strat ( I know it has humbuckers, but I'm talking a more modern marketing style to compete...) I think of the Les Paul Special ( w/P-90's) as being a counterpart to a Tele!

Want this Epi- maybe this year...
You can’t go wrong with this guitar, get one! :)

Funny that you should mention this being a counterpart to the Telecaster, that crossed my mind shortly after getting mine. Sort of like Gibson’s take on the Telecaster, the closest Gibson to a Tele at any rate.

Burstbucker

Congratulations! You chose wisely!

I have the same guitar, a 2021 model and it is absolutely killer.

I thought I would "upgrade" to a USA Gibson Les Paul Special, bought one for around $1,400 and the Epiphone was a better guitar in every way. The Gibson had sharp frets on both sides, was generally sloppy built, and the Epiphone felt and sounded better. I sent the Gibson back and kept the Epiphone.

And I love this guitar so much that I bought a second one for my friend's recording studio in LA so that I can play it when I visit him and jam there (and so that he has a nice guitar for the studio).

The inspired by gibson Epiphone line 2020-2022 is just killer. The fat neck and fat pickups on this guitar provide such a pleasing playing and sounding experience. Glad you got one too! This model is a present time legend and I imagine that in the future it will be a desirable model too but maybe they will just keep making them.
I’m not all that surprised that you went with the Epiphone over the Gibson, the workmanship on these Epiphones is pretty darn impressive and the fret dressing and everything else is spot on…..cheap guitar or not this thing delivers the goods and not even at marriage shattering prices. Lol

Bluedano1

You can’t go wrong with this guitar, get one! :)

Funny that you should mention this being a counterpart to the Telecaster, that crossed my mind shortly after getting mine. Sort of like Gibson’s take on the Telecaster, the closest Gibson to a Tele at any rate.

I just draw some similarities between the two:
- the yellow finish, black pickguard
- 2 single coil pickups ( albeit different original switching/controls)
- fixed bridge vs. BIgsby or trapeze
- both a little 'raw' or functional, a good way

( but there is different scale length, body/neck woods, neck join)

I do want one (just not yet, $$), I feel like playing this beautiful guitar could be a Party!

heberman

I ordered one from MF on April 4th. Still waiting...........
I've ordered it twice before and always got tired of waiting and cancelled and bought something else.
I'm gonna wait this one out.

M

Member 1963

For real results, check back in six months, and see if this is still around (I hope it is).
I got mine when they first came out, so you don't have to wait 6 months for my real results....it is usually my #1 when it comes to band use. This coming from a 50 year long fender guy. There is something about fenders that touches a very deep part of my musical soul, but when it comes to band us where what counts it tone and feel and how well it just plain works, i can't deny how perfect this thing is. And like you i had a gibson special before it, but an even higher end one that your tribute. Highest end special gibson has ever made short of custom shop far as i know. Hate to say it, but while i loved that thing i love the epi more. Proof is the fact i only played the gibson in my band on occasion. The epi became my #1 there. At home i mostly play my fenders only because i have to keep it quite low and the big fat special tone is just too much of that at low volumes where fender's brightness helps make for more usable tone real quiet. It's also the only electric i can evr remember besides the gibson where i didn't swap out the pups. I also read a post from a guy that has one and his buddy swappe out his gibson P90s and gave them to him to put in his epi only to find he heard no difference. I surely prefer them because they are better balanced with respect to bridge vs neck.

In any case, no need to wait for my post honeymoon review because that was it. In all my years of classic vibes and a ton of under $800 guitars, this one is the best bang/buck i have ever experienced. If it were the $1600 gibson version i'd figure it was well worth the $. Did i mention i got a deal at $370 OUT THE DOOR?!

seward

Silver Supporting Member
I got mine when they first came out, so you don't have to wait 6 months for my real results....it is usually my #1 when it comes to band use. This coming from a 50 year long fender guy. There is something about fenders that touches a very deep part of my musical soul, but when it comes to band us where what counts it tone and feel and how well it just plain works, i can't deny how perfect this thing is. And like you i had a gibson special before it, but an even higher end one that your tribute. Highest end special gibson has ever made short of custom shop far as i know. Hate to say it, but while i loved that thing i love the epi more. Proof is the fact i only played the gibson in my band on occasion. The epi became my #1 there. At home i mostly play my fenders only because i have to keep it quite low and the big fat special tone is just too much of that at low volumes where fender's brightness helps make for more usable tone real quiet. It's also the only electric i can evr remember besides the gibson where i didn't swap out the pups. I also read a post from a guy that has one and his buddy swappe out his gibson P90s and gave them to him to put in his epi only to find he heard no difference. I surely prefer them because they are better balanced with respect to bridge vs neck.

In any case, no need to wait for my post honeymoon review because that was it. In all my years of classic vibes and a ton of under $800 guitars, this one is the best bang/buck i have ever experienced. If it were the $1600 gibson version i'd figure it was well worth the $. Did i mention i got a deal at $370 OUT THE DOOR?!

That's very interesting to hear, about swapping the Gibson p90s in. That's the only thing I was thinking about doing to the guitar. Speaking of Tributes, which I love, I gotta say again: this Special, and the 59 LP Standard, have better intonation than my Tributes did. I think that playing up the neck is a habit that I picked up from playing superstrats. I really like being able to play leads + power/barre chords way up on the 12th-15th frets and beyond, and I really notice intonation now (I'm still not very good at that part of setup). The Epi Special does have an extra bit of adjustability for that (you can move the bridge forward/backward on either side).

These p90s seem quieter than the ones in my Tribute. I may just have picked up the reflexes that one gets with p90s (sitting/standing just so, etc.).

M

Member 1963

That's very interesting to hear, about swapping the Gibson p90s in. That's the only thing I was thinking about doing to the guitar. Speaking of Tributes, which I love, I gotta say again: this Special, and the 59 LP Standard, have better intonation than my Tributes did. I think that playing up the neck is a habit that I picked up from playing superstrats. I really like being able to play leads + power/barre chords way up on the 12th-15th frets and beyond, and I really notice intonation now (I'm still not very good at that part of setup). The Epi Special does have an extra bit of adjustability for that (you can move the bridge forward/backward on either side).

These p90s seem quieter than the ones in my Tribute. I may just have picked up the reflexes that one gets with p90s (sitting/standing just so, etc.).
Well, i'd reconsider swapping them out unless you feel they aren't good enough. but i think anything you don't like can be attributed to other things than the pickups, and in my case that what happened. Not that it wasn't great stock, but i'm not a huge fan or middy tones that the stock wraptail has and i was pretty sure of that. So i got a $25 wilkinson aluminum wraptail with adjustable B/G strings and it did just want i wanted, IE: a more neutral flat tone w/o any mid peaks. Kinda hard to be sure what a given bridge will get you but then the same goes for pickups and the bridge is much cheaper. You just have to have a good idea of what it is that will get you the changes you want. On my gibson i had to unwrap the coil on the neck pickup from 8k down to 7k to get some degree of balance. The epi has it naturally. I'm not trying to tell u that u shouldn't try other pickups, just that u should only do it if theres something u don't like instead of trying to make great even greater. That more often than not end with frustration. The epi was closer to perfect out of the box than most any guitar i can recall but for my want of less mids.

jhfire

Silver Supporting Member
the new Epips are great. I've bought a 335/SG/LP/Special all in the past few months and they have all been really really really good. they might be the best 'bang for buck' guitar out right now.
I agree! The Epiphone " Inspired by Gibson" line is making some really good guitars for the money. I have 3 of them and with proper set ups they've become my go to guitars.

M

Member 1963

I agree! The Epiphone " Inspired by Gibson" line is making some really good guitars for the money. I have 3 of them and with proper set ups they've become my go to guitars.
I'd like to get a standard or maybe even custom to compliment my TV yellow special but they are usually pretty heavy. At least the 4 or 5 i have picked up were. If i ever pick one ip thats in the 7.5 Lb range it will be mine assuming it's a color and model i like. I much prefer the Epi IBG line over gibsons tributes and other lower to mid lines. Now that they are using full maple caps where history dictates and traditional woods an other details including the new headstock, i see no reason to go with gibson. Yeah, indian laurel is the one difference as wood goes, but i actually love it on my special. I like the look and feel BETTER than the rosewood fender and gibson have been using in recent years. That light colored chalky looking rosewood that appears almost fake. Hate that stuff.

b80

It seems like every week there's a new "NGD Epiphone" post and folks are raving about these newer Epi's. Must be something to it. I've got to get my hand on one of the LP Customs!!

seward

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks very much for all comments - it makes getting the guitar even funner! I'm wondering if anyone has put a Bigsby, or any other kind of tremolo system on one of these. Good times? Cautions?

I want to put a Bigsby on one of my solid-bodies. This, or the Epi 59 LP, or my Studio...probably not the Studio, so it's between the LP and the Special. Flat or arch-top. Any suggestions?

Gtrman100

Gold Supporting Member
I'll chime in- I've had the Epi Les Paul Special for about a year now, and I can say it is one of the best playing guitars I've ever had. I did have to do a slight bit of fretwork on it at first. There were a few high frets, but after that it plays and sounds great. It really get the P90 vibe and I wouln't waste your time and money changing the pickups.
My only slight quibble with the guitar is that the finish is pretty thick. But I'm sure it will survive the nuclear blast quite well. And I think they did a darker TV yellow to differentiate it from Gibsons, but it still looks good.
Here's a pic of mine:
20210325_130254_resized.jpg

ken374

I got one of the epi 335 inspired by gibson about a year ago and love it. I'm 46 and been through a boatload of guitars over the years. I started at 11, so alot of gear has come and gone. I read some reviews about quality and they were mixed so I was apprehensive at first. But I ordered it and it's been my main player about 16 months now. I had to set it up for my tastes but that's normal. I think epiphone is on the ball now and I hope the quality stays like this. Everything is solid and straight, nothing needs replaced and the volume and tones are useful all the way down! The neck is solid as hell. It's like a slim taper with a bit more heft. If they keep it up I may have a tv yellow p90 for slide soon

Trending Topics

Top Bottom