NGD: 2022 Epiphone Les Paul Special TV Yellow

exile1973

Arrived today (less than 24 hours after ordering!)

Really pleased on first impressions, certainly a lot higher quality than you'd expect for the cost.

Needs a slight bit of neck relief adding for me but intonation pretty spot on on arrival, frets not sprouting. Neck needs a little oil, quite dry and a fret polish wouldn't go amiss.

Really chuffed overall

Attachments

• 20220526_170142.jpg
    20220526_170142.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 20220526_165853.jpg
    20220526_165853.jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 17

seward

Silver Supporting Member
Arrived today (less than 24 hours after ordering!)

Really pleased on first impressions, certainly a lot higher quality than you'd expect for the cost.

Needs a slight bit of neck relief adding for me but intonation pretty spot on on arrival, frets not sprouting. Neck needs a little oil, quite dry and a fret polish wouldn't go amiss.

Really chuffed overall

I loved my Gibson Special Tributes, but my Epiphone LP Special has better intonation than them.

btw what's that next to the Special? Epi LP?

exile1973

I loved my Gibson Special Tributes, but my Epiphone LP Special has better intonation than them.

btw what's that next to the Special? Epi LP?
That's my number one, 2016 Gibson Les Paul Standard HP in Translucent Amber.

Have to be honest though, the Epiphone stands it's ground!

Mpcoluv

Silver Supporting Member
Epi is really stepping up their game. I regret not buying one of the Bonamassa black beauties over the three days they were available.

seward

Silver Supporting Member
Epi is really stepping up their game. I regret not buying one of the Bonamassa black beauties over the three days they were available.

I regret missing that as well. How long were they available?

LordByron

The Dude abides!
I just got a new 2022 Epiphone Les Paul Special TV Yellow, and it's been a very positive experience. This is my second p90 guitar; the first one was a Gibson Les Paul Special Tribute, which I bought last Summer. It's also my second Epiphone. I recently bought an Epiphone 59 Les Paul Standard, and it went so well that I really wanted another Epiphone, so I got the Les Paul Special. I've read a bunch of reviews, and there's a lot of positive press about these, and I don't want to be too hype-y about it, but this is an amazing guitar for the money. It's a big, hefty slab with a baseball-bat neck, and it sounds glassy and warm. Lots of fun.

View attachment 592109

View attachment 592110

The guitar is gorgeous, and a handful. As noted, there's a lot of positive press about these guitars, great pro and user reviews. They all talk about the superior parts, build quality and tone. I've owned a bunch of $1K guitars that this one easily competes with, in terms of build quality and tone. I would add that this $449 guitar has better intonation than a couple of my Gibson Tributes, including the Gibson Les Paul Special Tribute, and that's with a wraparound Lightning Bolt bridge (which is actually a little more adjustable than the Tributes)! That deserves mention. It's got a big neck, apparently; I don't really notice, even though I think I don't like fat necks. Supposedly, big fat mahogany necks are part of the Special sound...is this something that anyone else has heard?

These p90s are warmer and fatter than the Gibson p90s, but they still have the glassiness that I love in p90s. I really like Gibson p90s, and they're a candidate to swap in, because of the quick-connect, but it's not urgent. These are definitely not the noisiest p90s I've played, either. Sometimes they're downright quiet. The guitar is satisfying to play, in a way that I thought I had to pay more money for, and it doesn't get embarrassed when I play it through my better amplifiers.

I'm really glad that I got over the headstock snobbery that I like to think I don't have. For real results, check back in six months, and see if this is still around (I hope it is). For now, though, I feel like I (finally) found the sort of deals on guitars that I'm used to hearing about from others. This guitar is a hidden gem, and if Epiphone has more guitars like this, and the 59 Les Paul Standard, then I would like to know about them.
The IBG 335s are also absolutely amazing. As is the Crestwood Custom RI with the Mini Hums. The Sheraton II with Firebird pups is also strong, although a half step behind the IBG 335 and Crestwood.

Top Bottom