NGD 26 Year Old Vintage Jackson Goodness

So I'm a big Savatage fan and I always wanted an older Jackson or Charvel. Never enough to pay full price though as I'm not huge on Floyd Roses.

Came across this bad boy for an insane too-good-to-be-possible price and just assumed it was fate for me to own it, so I bought it. It's missing the truss rod cover and the trem back plate, but is otherwise pretty damn mint.

I just took it to my buddy's house tonight and he installed a vintage Dimarzio Super Distortion I had scored for $25 in place of the stock Jackson USA humbucker.

Per the serial and such, this is a 1990 Jackson Fusion Professional (Pro) - the first year they made them, and Japan's top of the line model. They were meant to be on par with Jackson USA.

Features a bound ebony fretboard with real MOP sharkies, real MOP headstock logo, etc. Also has a real interesting subtle flame top, really different from other stuff I've owned. The back is also flamed maple from what I can tell. German Schaller Floyd too which after 26 years was still pretty fresh underneath the dirt I had to clean off. Also has an active preamp onboard.

These guitars apparently came with one volume, one two way switch that controlled the active onboard preamp, and one tone. Mine has one volume, one tone, and one knob that controls the onboard preamp (just via a regular pot).

For all I know it could be some kind of prototype or a very early one (the wiring inside looked completely factory done), but I digress. Here are a few terrible photos via my cell phone.

IMG_4852.jpg

Full_Size_Render_3.jpg

Full_Size_Render_2.jpg

IMG_4884.jpg

IMG_4883.jpg

IMG_4882.jpg

skronker

2010/2013/2015 S.C. Champions
Shredding goodness!
Congrats on the NGD.
I recently gave in to my shred leanings and acquired a new soloist.
It's not one of the more expensive MIA models but it plays and sounds good and the floyd works very well. Very shreddable.

wox

Silver Supporting Member
Hot! I love it. The thing looks new.

I Owned a MIJ Dinky from this series, but not as nice a top or the active circuit. Top notch guitars, great craft, materials, and especially nice fretwork on these.

Matt L

That's sick! I've been picking up MIJ Jacksons and Charvels from the '80s-'90s recently for great prices. The quality is high, and stuff like this still can be found for a steal.

That's sick! I've been picking up MIJ Jacksons and Charvels from the '80s-'90s recently for great prices. The quality is high, and stuff like this still can be found for a steal.

Yep, for sure! I've seen what these normally go for and they're very well priced for the quality you get, and this cost me a fraction of even those standard/usual prices so I just had to go for it.

EADGBE

What does the preamp sound like? Is it as good as a distortion or overdrive pedal?

What does the preamp sound like? Is it as good as a distortion or overdrive pedal?

It's not the same thing, it's really more of a boost than a distortion or an overdrive. It is definitely noticeable though, I really really like it. It also affects the entire pickup assembly. Sounds great on the factory single coils and on the vintage Super Distortion I installed.

AdmiralB

It's a midboost, similar to an EMG SPC or the Fender Clapton.

That control/electronics package is the same as was used on the USA Fusions. I had one of those that I wound up selling to Criss Oliva's brother (Savatage circle closed). Loved the guitar overall but absolutely hated the neck, it was like holding a 2x10 edgewise.

It's a midboost, similar to an EMG SPC or the Fender Clapton.

That control/electronics package is the same as was used on the USA Fusions. I had one of those that I wound up selling to Criss Oliva's brother (Savatage circle closed). Loved the guitar overall but absolutely hated the neck, it was like holding a 2x10 edgewise.

Now that I finally have the guitar it's so weird to hear that. It's def one of the most comfortable necks I've played. But I guess it comes down to your hand size, what you like, etc...

...and the MIJ examples may well be different than the USAs, too. Mine was VERY wide and VERY flat. Not as thin as a Wizard, but the width made it feel worse.

Yeah I hear you, I don't really get on with Wizard necks either. This one feels great though!

So far I can't decide if I want to get some Dimarzio single coils or just leave the stock Jacksons. I wasn't in love with the humbucker but these single coils sound good, especially with the boost!

murkat

I like sea otters
Silver Supporting Member
So far I can't decide if I want to get some Dimarzio single coils or just leave the stock Jacksons. I wasn't in love with the humbucker but these single coils sound good, especially with the boost!

the J-200 single coil / humbuckers are great sleepers, Mine are stock in Soloist, with factory solo boost.
My USA Fusion has the stock Armstrong blade pickup in neck position, wired with a series, parallel switch (pre amp long gong)
The stock Armstrong does convincing thick humbucker to almost single with the mini switch.

Congrats on the find.

FMs0cFS.jpg

the J-200 single coil / humbuckers are great sleepers, Mine are stock in Soloist, with factory solo boost.
My USA Fusion has the stock Armstrong blade pickup in neck position, wired with a series, parallel switch (pre amp long gong)
The stock Armstrong does convincing thick humbucker to almost single with the mini switch.

Congrats on the find.

FMs0cFS.jpg

Nice! I really dig these single coils, very responsive and pretty decent output. Surprisingly good cleans out of a "metal" guitar!

murkat

I like sea otters
Silver Supporting Member
. I wasn't in love with the humbucker
the Fusions can be a lil picky with the bridge pup, at least mine is, was( went thru a bit of them). A Duncan Custom Alt 8 is in there atm.
Works well with the floyd, basswood body. Plenty of Bass, mids, nice top end.

rstites

Cool. Those early 90's Jackson Pro's are great guitars.

Since you like the J-200, this won't matter......if you want to replace these, you have to purchase single coils without the little flange on the like standard strat pickups. Yeah, I know this because I didn't think about it when I went to swap these out of a Jackson years ago! ;)

Also, those Jackson humbuckers are larger than a standard humbucker, so you need a special pickup ring for them. That was even worse to track down. FretsOntheNet will take care of those now.

Matt L

What are the options out there for flange-less single coils? I have a couple of similar Charvels (Model 4 and 6) and I just bought a pair of Duncan SSL-6s for the Model 4. Seemed like a decent choice to pair with either a JB or 59/Custom in the bridge. Not sure yet what to get for the neck-through Model 6.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom