NGD - '74 National LP guitar Pawnshop Score !!!!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Texsunburst59, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Member

I went to one of my out of town pawnshops that I hadn't been to in a while. The manager told me he had a TON of guitars and basses in the back that he hadn't pulled out. So he took me to the back and let me check them all out. Anyway, I went through about 25 or 30 guitars and basses until I found a really old guitar case. I opened it up and realized it was an old late 60's or 70's National Japanese LP Copy. I wasn't sure of the year, but I wanted it and haggled on the price and I got it for $69 in the original case. The neck it to die for,and it weighs nothing. The guitar has a pancake body and is only 1 1/2" thick. I haven't really cleaned it or set it up yet. The strings are old as hell so I can't get a real idea of tone,but it sounds really hollow and acoustic like. Anyway here's my new baby.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Bhodie

Bhodie Member

Very cool. Way dark fret board.

3. hank57

hank57 Silver Supporting Member

Binding on it gives it a country Les Paul feel. It's like the humbucker Melody Maker. Nice

4. straycat113

straycat113 Member

Congrats on a really nice find!

5. Lespaulsignature 74

Lespaulsignature 74 Silver Supporting Member

6. nrandall85

nrandall85 Member

Even if that ends up as a $69 wall decoration, I'd say you scored.... But I have a feeling that a little TLC is going to turn that thing into a beast.

Post back once you get some play time- I'm really curious to know what the pickups sound like.

7. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Member

Thanks. I think I'm going to set it up and turn it into a slide guitar. I hope the TLC turns it into a beast. :D

8. musicofanatic5

musicofanatic5 Supporting Member

A place I play has one of those screwed to the wall. I always thought it was a good place for it.

Am I gonna get ragged for posting that?

9. mondaythursday

mondaythursday Senior Member

See how you like it as a regular guitar before you decide to turn it into a "slide guitar".

10. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Member

Jon are you guys in a garage band? I saw your video and was just wondering. A Firebird is worst guitar to gig with because they're notorious for not staying in tune. To make things worse, you're using a capo with a Firebird and that's a double whammy.:facepalm

Am I gonna get ragged for posting this? :rotflmao