NGD - A Strat Guy Sins...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Dunzie, Feb 13, 2015.

1. Dunzie

Dunzie Member

I've owned some great guitars through the years, although the best of them have been Fenders. I had a Les Paul I liked back in the 80's but since then I've had a bad experience with most Gibsons I've bought. I had a Custom Shop ES339 that was a real disappointment build wise that I returned. I had a couple Gibson LP's that were lower-end units (60's Tribute and Studio) and never really did anything for me. So instead I've focused on Fenders where I've been much happier and while I've had a bunch come and go, I'm currently at five higher end Strats including 3 Custom Shops and man, all 5 are dynamite players.

But today I found a deal on a leftover 2013 Les Paul Standard in Amber transparent, with a nice flame top and decent weight, and figured what the heck. It's been a while since I had an LP I could get along with. Good player, good deal, so I brought her home. So far the troops aren't playing well with her and she's off in a corner being ignored, but I got the chance to run it through its paces for a couple hours this afternoon and starting forming some thoughts. It has all the features that called me (locking tuners, compound radius neck, coil tap, nice binding, nubs, Burstbuckers, reverse phase push pull, tone control bypass, AAA flame, no steenking auto-tune system, etc), but being an honest Strat guy at heart, it's taking some getting used to not having the clarity and articulation and attack I'm familiar with. Time will tell...

Anyway, NGD threads are useless without pics, so here it is...

[​IMG]

2. budglo58

budglo58 Member

Nice looking LP. I am a strat guy at heart, but I fell in love with 335s . I love the articulation and crisp tone that a strat brings , but the crunch of a humbucker is tonal nirvana to my ears. Congrats.

3. axe4me

axe4me Member

4. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

Very nice.
    Congrats.

That pic belongs on a poster.

5. David Garner

David Garner Member

Nice!

I'm a Strat guy, and my Les Paul became my no. 1 guitar very quickly after I got it. The Strat is still my favorite, but the LP is the go to guitar for most of the stuff I play.

6. William Braddell

William Braddell Member

I went from being a Strat guy to a Gibson guy. Interesting to see what else I'll get into.

7. Doctor Morbius

Doctor Morbius Member

Blasphemer! :Devil

Congrats on the LP. :aok

8. Judas68fr

Judas68fr Member

Congrats! This LP looks amazing!

I was a 100% Fender guy until I bought my P90 SG about 6 months ago. Still feels like going back home when I take my Strat, but really love the attitude P90s have!

9. A-Mags

A-Mags Supporting Member

At least you repented...sinner...

10. cratz2

cratz2 Member

Damn fine-looking guitar. :aok

Signed,

Hardcore Strat guy. :p

11. Dunzie

Dunzie Member

Haha thanks all. It is a looker, and a nice player too. It still seems muddy and thick compared to what I'm used to, but I think a few more tweaks of the rig and learning the guitar more will make me like it better.

Axe4Me if those are all yours, wow you've done a whole lot of sinning!!

No danger of me becoming a Gibson Guy instead of a Strat guy though honestly... I'm too set in my ways...

[​IMG]

12. MrX

MrX Member

Great looking LP... congrats!

13. saltydogg

saltydogg Rock & Roll Enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

Nice LP! Congrats! What's the weight?

IME, Burstbuckers have never brought the words clarity and articulation to mind. A pick-up swap will likely help with that. Also, the simple/cheap procedure of changing the caps (Sprague Vitamin Q) made a noticeable difference in my Les Pauls, particularly the middle-position (when played clean) is far more useable, and is great for clean tones- reminds me a bit of a tele-tone, but with less tele-spank.

14. Neon Trotsky

Neon Trotsky Member

I can totally relate. A couple weeks ago I bought my first Gibson - a fancy schmancy Memphis 335 60's reissue. Lol, I've haven't been playing it anywhere near as much as I thought I would be, I still just reach for the strats/teles.

I don't hide my playing behind a bunch of gain and prefer clean tones for 95% of the stuff I do. Strats and teles have all the versatility I think I could ever want for clean or slightly dirty tones. Humbuckers with my preferred settings always make a guitar sound like it has a cold to my ears, congested or something, murky, I miss the clarity and chime of my Fenders.

The 335 is way easier to play though, it came from Wildwood BEAUTIFULLY set up. Eh, it's too easy man, I'm too used to my Fenders and their quirks I suppose.

I think my money would of been better spent on a Gretsch... but then, surely, one should own at least one Gibson right?

15. budglo58

budglo58 Member

I have and love both strats and 335s. The 335 has its own clean sound that sounds great, but it took me some tweeking to get it. Larry Carlton to me is a good example of that as is BB King. I still prefer my strats for that nice crisp clean tone , but the 335 sure has its place. For slightly dirty blues tones the 335 kills.

16. Neon Trotsky

Neon Trotsky Member

And Marr famously employed a 355 extensively back when he was in The Smiths and he's definitely a clean tones sorta guy.

I don't mean to derail this thread, but let me ask you this: do any of your 335's have Burstbuckers in 'em (or are they originals from the 50's,60's,70's) and, if so, did you leave 'em in? Lol, thus far they don't strike me as the, shall we say, sweetest sounding pups in the world, but they might be well-suited to some pretty gnarly rock tones. More experimentation is required methinks.

17. BlackT-Shirt

BlackT-Shirt Member

Go forth, and sin some more.

18. Totally Bored

Totally Bored Member

Nice :dude

I'm a Strat guy 2 but I also have a couple Les Pauls. It's good to have differant flavors. Everybody should have at least 1 good Les Paul and 1 good Strat.

19. James_E

James_E Member

I wish I could find a Les Paul that will stay in tune. I've tried so many. I've had them setup by pros, used nut sauce etc. They sound great but the damn tuning issue drives me nuts. G string especially. I've gotten to the point where I can hear the most subtle tuning issue and they will drive me insane.

The ones I've owned simply don't stay in tune anywhere near as well as my current #1, a 2011 Am Deluxe Strat HSS. Trem is floating a bit and I can beat the living crap out of the trem and it stays in tune.

20. DV52

DV52 Member

My L.P. is my favorite guitar. But I have been playing my Strat and Tele more lately . It seems I am enjoying the clarity of the single coils .

I think that perhaps a P.U. swap in the L.P. to some Classic 57's would give the Lester a little more open sound . They work for Johnny A. Well I think I saw an interview about his guitar and that is what he has in his.

Any way damn fine Lester. And the Tweed amps looked sweet also .