NGD - A Sweet Ebay Find!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Sir Nicholas, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Sir Nicholas

Sir Nicholas Member

I found this MIM strat on Ebay listed as "Fender Strat John Mayer Pickups" - 3 pictures from a distance, no internal shots to show the pups, no shot of the serial number or mention of what model it was or anything. I figured it was probably a MIM, and I assumed the pickups were not legit Big Dippers, based on the very limited description and pictures. I put in a pretty low bid, figuring if it's just a standard MIM strat I could resell and not lose out, and if it was real Big Dippers it would be a nice score. I guess everyone else decided not to take the risk, and I won it for very cheap.

It has legit Big Dippers, and it's a special run from 2010 with tinted 50s style gloss maple neck, and 50s headstock and decal. All around a solid deal! I plugged it in before taking off the pickguard to check the tone with no preconceptions and was VERY impressed with the pups. I took off the pickguard, and was happy to find they were in fact the JM sigs! Someone clearly had this as a project guitar at one point, and it does need some work - But it's a keeper!

http://imgur.com/cyCnIaN

http://imgur.com/vVqgR8Y

scott944, SPROING! and morglan like this.
  2. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

Send the video of you playing it to Katy Perry, and maybe you'll get lucky.

That shielding job doesn't look factory done, but it's nice that somebody did it for you.

3. Sir Nicholas

Sir Nicholas Member

I was thinking Taylor Swift actually. Although I wouldn't say no to either!

Definitely not factory, I'm assuming whoever installed the pups did it. I'm not complaining though, less work for me to do.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  4. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

Johnny dropped Taylor, like a hot rock, after he found out she's not inclined to... oh how do I put this.?..?
    She doesn't like eating bananas.

mfranzdorf likes this.
  5. ef_in_fla

ef_in_fla Member

LOL I can picture her saying that's icky. I love that headstock I think it's their best looking.

Sir Nicholas likes this.
  6. Sir Nicholas

Sir Nicholas Member

^ I bet that's exactly how that went! Lol.

It's definitely my favorite Fender headstock - With the big CBS being my least favorite.

ef_in_fla likes this.
  7. SPROING!

SPROING! Member

8. Sir Nicholas

Sir Nicholas Member

Got to sit down with it for a while last night and I definitely dig the pups. Still deciding how I feel about the vintage style frets though - much smaller than I'm used to!