NGD! (and amp)

freekbird

Its a late 70s Hondo Deluxe 780 I just got at the pawn shop along with the amp. Ever since I first saw Freebird the movie I've wanted a natural wood Explorer and my dream has come true! I'm really liking it so far...actually sounds very unique and quite different from my 335 or the les paul I used to have.:JAM

Hound Dog61

What do you think of the amp? I have the same one but I have never used a HB guitar through it. It would be interesting(for me) to hear your thoughts on it.

David Garner

Platinum Supporting Member
I had an old Hondo explorer when I was in high school. I'd still have it if the neck wasn't cracked. It was horrible to keep in tune (besides the neck crack, it had an awful Kahler double locking trem that just would not stay in tune at all), but it had a Lawrence bridge pickup in it and sounded pretty good. Played like a dream.

freekbird

I actually really like the amp so far...at least the clean channel. The OD channel is crap IMO, I really need to get some pedals out in front of the clean. But playing on clean, with the boost on at around 3 volume it cleans up really nicely with the guitars volume control and gets nice and dirty if I crank it up. Definitely really happy so far, my first gig with it is tonight so we shall see how it goes.

And as far as the guitar is concerned I'm really liking it too, its got some dings and what not (being from the 70s) but once I swapped out the volume pot it is in full working order, seems to stay in tune quite nicely, and it came with a nice fitted hard case....

Hound Dog61

Yep, sounds lie the same one amp I have. The channels aren't balanced very well, you can only dial in one or the other, imo. Good luck at the gig!

HoboMan

Gold Supporting Member
Cool stuff!

I bought a Hondo Star shaped guitar back in the 80s. I picked it up because it was so cheap.
Wasn't expecting much but I took it to a rehearsal and plugged into my JMP 50 watt stack and was blown away. It had the nastiest, raunchiest, Kick Ass, in your face tone. Kinda like the first Motely Crue album.
Eventually sold the guitar to a friend who wanted it real bad.

freekbird

Well I had my gig last night, rig was as follows:

Hondo Explorer
Crate V33-212 w/footswitch
Cheap compressor bought at pawn shop before show, brand escapes me
Crybaby Wah
Modtone Speedbox (for $40 this thing kicks ass!)
boss acoustic simulator

and....my tone was awesome! I was so suprised! I have under $500 invested in that particular rig and it sounded awesome! Definitely sounded just as good as the other 2 guitarists with their multi thousand dollar setups.

Hound Dog61

That is awesome, good for you. Nothing like getting it done on the cheap. Maybe there IS some hope for my crate.

Trending Topics