• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

NGD and Let's See Your Gretsch...

AStrangeDay

That colour combo is phenomenal, congratulations!

Here's mine, affectionately known as The Tank which is more down to how she handles than durability... it's one of those Baldwin era models that probably wasn't the best when new and it certainly hasn't aged well, but for all its faults the mojo factor is through the roof and it has a unique sound. I'm secretly rather fond of it!

As a Spacemen 3 fan, having a 'Sonic Boom' switch (complete with a 9v battery that rattles around inside making mischief with the wiring harness) is a nice bonus to have on a guitar.

Isn't this a Rally? I was going to buy one last summer, unfortunatelly i arrived too late and it was gone.

Jayyj

Silver Supporting Member
Isn't this a Rally? I was going to buy one last summer, unfortunatelly i arrived too late and it was gone.
It is, yes. The first 'vintage' guitar I ever played was a yellow Rally so I've always had a soft spot for them. There's a good guitar in there, they just typically weren't the best of build quality and if you add in the binding rot and that boost circuit not aging well they're a bit problematic. It's still a really cool guitar and I like breaking it out every now and then, but I wouldn't have one as a daily player.

It does that early Lou Reed machine gun chatter thing incredibly well and I do love the early Velvets.

AStrangeDay

It is, yes. The first 'vintage' guitar I ever played was a yellow Rally so I've always had a soft spot for them. There's a good guitar in there, they just typically weren't the best of build quality and if you add in the binding rot and that boost circuit not aging well they're a bit problematic. It's still a really cool guitar and I like breaking it out every now and then, but I wouldn't have one as a daily player.

It does that early Lou Reed machine gun chatter thing incredibly well and I do love the early Velvets.
Yeah, i was aware of some of the problems that particular model have, still, i would love to own one.
I have a couple of vintage Gretsch that i'm hunting down but now my short term goal is a double cut White Falcon hollowbody

Jayyj

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah, i was aware of some of the problems that particular model have, still, i would love to own one.
I have a couple of vintage Gretsch that i'm hunting down but now my short term goal is a double cut White Falcon hollowbody

I always liked the Viking, that's probably the model I'd go for if I bought another. I think I'd be a bit cautious of Southern vintage one though, they're definitely a brand I'd rather find one in person and be wowed by it than take a chance online.

I've played some old Tennesseans that have blown me away as well.

AStrangeDay

I always liked the Viking, that's probably the model I'd go for if I bought another. I think I'd be a bit cautious of Southern vintage one though, they're definitely a brand I'd rather find one in person and be wowed by it than take a chance online.

I've played some old Tennesseans that have blown me away as well.
Viking is cool but you have to check the Blackhawk, which is basically a Viking but black and silver. That is so cool.
I've played a couple of early 70s Gretsch (a Roc Jet and a Country Gentleman), early Baldwin era but amazing condition and perfect shape, they were AMAZING. The Roc Jet with the Supertron was Rock N Roll

Jayyj

Silver Supporting Member
Viking is cool but you have to check the Blackhawk, which is basically a Viking but black and silver. That is so cool.
I've played a couple of early 70s Gretsch (a Roc Jet and a Country Gentleman), early Baldwin era but amazing condition and perfect shape, they were AMAZING. The Roc Jet with the Supertron was Rock N Roll
Was the Blackhawk the one with the cats eye soundholes? I remember Edwyn Collins of Orange Juice using one of those in the mid 90s.

I've played a couple of Rocjets and really liked them, although I remember them being extremely heavy. I just broke my shoulder yesterday so feeling a bit apprehensive of hanging anything off it in the next little while, let alone 12lb of Rocjet!

AStrangeDay

Was the Blackhawk the one with the cats eye soundholes? I remember Edwyn Collins of Orange Juice using one of those in the mid 90s.

I've played a couple of Rocjets and really liked them, although I remember them being extremely heavy. I just broke my shoulder yesterday so feeling a bit apprehensive of hanging anything off it in the next little while, let alone 12lb of Rocjet!

original.jpg

This is the Blackhawk.

The Cats eye was, if i remember correctly, the 6117. But, there were some one of models like this one

Dana Rudd

Congrats on your newest Gretsch. I have 6 elecromatics and trying to swing a G6119T Players Edition right now. I can't take pictures worth a damn so no photos as yet.
Some beautiful guitars in this thread.

Clyde Billt

Gold Supporting Member
I remember Edwyn Collins of Orange Juice using one of those in the mid 90s
That's a coincidence.
I follow Edwyn on Twitter and he mentioned the Blackhawk a couple of days ago. I had never heard of it and when I went searching all I got was a drum kit.

Thanks for the info @AStrangeDay . Great looking guitar. What's going on after the bridge??

Here's a pic of Edwyn with his Blackhawk that he bought in 1979 for £115.

AStrangeDay

That's a coincidence.
I follow Edwyn on Twitter and he mentioned the Blackhawk a couple of days ago. I had never heard of it and when I went searching all I got was a drum kit.

Thanks for the info @AStrangeDay . Great looking guitar. What's going on after the bridge??

It's the "infamous" tuning fork which was supposed to increase the sustain of the notes

Jayyj

Silver Supporting Member
That's a coincidence.

Fantastic, so it was a Blackhawk! I must have misremembered the cats eye soundholes.

I remember it vividly because the first time I saw him live he used it for Campaign For Real Rock (one of the great unsung moments of the Britpop era), attacking the solo with such fury he broke a couple of strings and then ripped the remaining strings from it so that bits were falling off the guitar as he marched off stage with it. He was a great guitar player in his day, was Edwyn.

Here's a clip of him playing that song on the Blackhawk:

BlueHeaven

Man, I finally got a chance to play my new G6228 Jet PE through a tube amp at a decent volume today at practice. I was floored as were my bandmates! Nice and warm but with outstanding clarity and chime and cleaned up with the volume knob amazingly. My bassist/singer said "just bring THAT to all rehearsals and gigs from now on"! Who am I to argue? :D

Trending Topics