NGD...and now for something completely different! (Suhr content)

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by leftycajun, Apr 2, 2015.

1. leftycajun

leftycajun Member

Well, for me anyways. I scored a great deal on this Suhr Modern Satin. It's my first Suhr, and my first "superstrat" since middle school, when I got my first electric guitar. I've been playing vintage inspired guitars mostly. I've been wanting to switch up my guitar for a while but wasn't really sure what I wanted. I just knew it had to be versatile. I was looking at a bunch of PRS guitars and ran across this Suhr. It looked like it had everything I wanted and was like $1000 less than the PRS's I'd been considering. It was too tempting. I can't remember the last time I was this excited to get a new guitar! I'm still getting used to it, but I dig it. I play P&W and we cover a very wide range of styles. I've been switching up my rig to be as versatile as possible. My amp is a Rivera 30-12, my pedalboard is small but covers pretty much all the bases. I'd been playing teles and recently switched to a Les Paul for a few gigs. So for me, this Suhr is a big switch. I liked what the lester brought to the mix, but missed some of what I was getting from the tele. The Modern Satin seemed like a versatile option to give me the best of both worlds.
    My impression so far:

I'm very impressed with the construction. I've had several "boutique" guitars over the years, and this is by far the highest quality. It's obvious that John Suhr and team don't cut any corners. I can't believe this is their entry-level model.

It is incredibly comfortable. I haven't weighed this one, but I think these are usually around 6 -7 lbs or so. It will be a pleasure to play for hours on end.

It plays great! I'm used to thicker necks, but I'm really liking this neck. It's the standard shape on the Modern Satin line. 0.80-0.85, I think. The stainless frets are great. I think I was most excited about the neck and playability. I buy pretty much all my guitars used and its been a while since I had one with nice frets and easy playability.

It sounds great. Like I said, most of my guitars have been firmly in the vintage inspired camp, so I wasn't quite sure what to expect from the pickups in the modern satin. I'm pretty happy with what I'm hearing initially. I'll be getting to know it a lot over the next few days, but I'm really digging the sounds I was hearing.

Thanks to John Suhr and crew for making a killer guitar.

Pics:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

beorn likes this.
  2. Suhrlicious

Suhrlicious Member

Congrats! I've got the same guitar, ....and it really is incredible. I've got three other Moderns to go along with it. But, the Satin is the most resonate of the bunch, which I'm sure is because of the extremely thin satin finish....it's very lively. In fact, IMO...the African Mahogany body/neck combined with the SSH+/SSV pickups are one of the best combinations I've ever experienced. Those pickups are PERFECT for that guitar. I love playing that guitar! And, as you said...it's so light! I'm even considering getting another one in the newer black satin. Maybe not as pretty as most, but who cares. Outstanding instrument!

3. gollumxcore

gollumxcore Member

Gorgeous guitar, I love the simplicity! Would love to see more pics of the construction, the neck joints and so forth :)

4. bloc

bloc Member

I love Suhr but I could never go for something THIS modest looking

5. leftycajun

leftycajun Member

Actually, I kind of dig the understated look. The more I play it the more I like it. I'm still getting used to the pickups, though. I like them, but it's not what I'm used to hearing. I think the test will be sunday morning when I play in a band setting. Worst case, If I love the guitar but can't live with the pickups I might swap them for a set of Suhr Thornbuckers.

I played it side by side with my LP today. First strum on the LP and I could tell something was missing. It's like the LP was 2D and the Suhr was 3D. That plus the Suhr's comfort and playability made it a no-brainer. The LP went back in the case and will probably be headed to eBay this weekend.

Bluefugue likes this.
  6. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

So what color is it going to be when it's finished?

;) Kidding of course! I love understated guitars like that, especially when they've really got the goods which your Suhr undoubtedly does.

7. Millul

Millul Member

I was able to try a Modern Satin last week when I went to pick up my new ESP (which will be an other NGD thread as soon as I get some pics :) ) - the Modern Satin was one of the guitars I was considering, but it's way too expensive here in Italy.

That said...I was impressed: very nice neck- perfect thickness and radius choice, nice shape if a bit too flat; impeccable fretwork, and SS!!!; light and resonant, as said; good natural "voice", with growl but still retaining a lot of clarity and definition/attack.
    The only let down is the finish: I do like understated guitar, but this finish is a bit too coarse for my tastes (nothing that couldn't be fixed, I guess!)

Play her hard! Congrats!

8. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Me too - I actually have had the black, right handed version of yours on order for a week and a half now and am eager to get it in-hand. I demoed the HSH version in-store and the feel and tone both were impressive. The weight was quite a shocker though... like when you go to pick up a package that you think has an air conditioner in it but it's empty. It makes my custom Modern feel heavy in comparison, and that's only basswood and maple!

9. leftycajun

leftycajun Member

I seriously can't stop playing this thing. It's been a long time since I have been this excited about a guitar. Installed a tremel-no on it this afternoon. I'll probably keep it locked about 90% of the time. I've got to say, this thing is so easy to play I honestly feel like a better player on it. I don't feel like I'm fighting it to get the notes out, which was the case with my last few guitars.

10. superstratjunky

superstratjunky Member

11. cosmic_ape

cosmic_ape Supporting Member

Nice guitar, fellow lefty!

12. Schweezly

Schweezly Member

Congrats! John makes some killer guitars.

13. leftycajun

leftycajun Member

Well, it's official. I'm spoiled. I just spent the afternoon playing a very nice Tom Anderson strat while I was trying out some pedals. The whole time I kept thinking, "Man, I wish I had my Suhr." That satin finished modern elliptical neck is the nicest feeling neck I've ever played. The Anderson's neck felt like a baseball bat in comparison. Nothing against the Anderson, mind you. It was a very nice guitar, but my Modern is just perfect.

14. leftycajun

leftycajun Member

Finally got around to taking some pics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. ur2funky

ur2funky Supporting Member

I just got my Satin Monday and I'm reading lots of parallels here. I'm really diggin' the resonance, tones and playability. Great guitar. The first Suhr that I've ever touched. It came up on Dave's Guitars for a good price, and when you see something cheap on Dave's, you know it's not gonna last through the day, you gotta jump.
    I usually research my purchases for weeks, but after 20 minutes reading I was convinced this would be something I like and worth the risk.
    Soo glad it worked out. This thing is the bomb. I would never think an all mahogany guitar would sound this bright and lively. There is something special going on here. Still looking for the words.
    I haven't been this excited about a guitar in a long time.

16. AJS

AJS Supporting Member

I had that guitar in my cart. Almost bought it. It was a very good deal!

17. ur2funky

ur2funky Supporting Member

Phhhew! Skin of my teeth! I said ya' gotta jump!

I really really like the guitar. Only downside is now I'm driving by Suhr guitar listings late at night...that aren't on the way home.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
  18. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

I tried one but couldnt get comfortable with that thin neck profile. Other than that, the guitar sounded and played beautifully. Suhr guitars are top shelf.