NGD: Anderson Bulldog (New To Me)

gibson5413

I absolutely adore my Goldtop Anderson Bulldog and have been looking for another one since they were discontinued over a year ago. Most of them seem to be built with Tom's Happy Medium neck shape. I had an Anderson with the Happy Medium before and it would hurt my thumb joint here and there. I love his Even Taper neck shape and finally found one a used one with that neck shape that is in perfect condition. The pickups are great but I have some ideas on something else (thinking about the Suhr Thornbucker set or going with Tom's H3 and H1). It plays like butter!!! So happy to have another. This one will be setup for Eb and my Goldtop will stay in standard.

Just wanted to share my NAD. I'll make a video soon!

beorn

Congrats on a great-looking guitar. Just wanted to say I think you'll like the Thornbuckers and let us know if that's the case.

Tone Disciple

Yes. That, sir, is a good looking guitar! Every one of these I have played was a great sounding piece as well.

tadeimy

I think I may have played that guitar if it originally came from Sound Pure. Congrats!!! Love my Andersons.

kralltime

Platinum Supporting Member
Curious about different pickup options in the Anderson's - I've got a Hollow Cobra S with H1 H3 and it's just a bit brighter and thinner than I was expecting - I've actually got it up in the emporium, but I don't really want to sell it. I definitely want to keep the 5 way switching, but I'd like to get a little thicker on the neck (more LPish), and grittier (not brighter) on the bridge.
Thoughts?

Chuckracer

Gold Supporting Member
The hollow body could be a hinderance if you're looking for girth and grit. They tend to be softer in the midrange, prettier.
The H series pickups are a very flat response, very even...very honest. Anderson HF series pickups have a bit of a midrange hump, like a regular PAF or a hot PAF, depending on the model. That may be what you are looking for.

*edit* I forgot to mention: Tom's tone controls are perhaps the most fun of any guitar I've played. Try rolling the tone back to 5 or 6...see if that helps? That will add mids as well as cut top end.
Then go to bridge single coil and roll the tone all the way back...Boston's "Smokin"!

Last edited:

kralltime

Thanks for the advice - I have beed rolling the tone a little... I'll try a bit more!!

>>>> I think we might have something here!

Last edited:

kralltime

OP, did you decide on a set of PU's to try? I went for a set of Tom's HCs for my Cobra... HC 1-, and HC1+ They are showing up today.

gibson5413

Thanks all! I love this guitar!

OP, did you decide on a set of PU's to try? I went for a set of Tom's HCs for my Cobra... HC 1-, and HC1+ They are showing up today.
Yes, I decided on a set of Suhr Thornbuckers. Should be here soon. I actually really like the HC pickups. Have always wanted to try the Thorns. I love the H3/H1 combo in my other Bulldog. I wouldn't mind that too.

Trending Topics