• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

NGD - Another Awesome GC Used Score!

And one last photo of the switch cavity, since I forgot that one...some research shows this DMB-20 switch dates to the early 80s, which matches up with my estimation that this is an '81 or so. You can also see some of the uh "natural relicing", you wouldn't know the guitar is 40 years old from a foot away but up close you can see it's been played and enjoyed :).

IMG_6316.JPG

zeppelinpage4

Wow, that’s a beautiful guitar. Amidst all these price hikes and craziness on places like Reverb, Guitar Center used has been a nice place to find gear second hand at a decent price.

Someone on another forum asked about the headstock angle, not sure what this constitutes "degree" wise but here it is, and you can also see some of the neat yellowed binding which is one of the things that attracted me the most to this one.

IMG_6441.JPG

FractalGarden

Curious as to how you found this guitar on their site. I could not image deciding I'm going to try to find a D'Agostino guitar on their site. If you don't mind sharing your strategy (esp now that you have the guitar in hand), I'd be very grateful.

(If not, and I'm deemed as competition, no worries.)

Curious as to how you found this guitar on their site. I could not image deciding I'm going to try to find a D'Agostino guitar on their site. If you don't mind sharing your strategy (esp now that you have the guitar in hand), I'd be very grateful.

(If not, and I'm deemed as competition, no worries.)
No worries! I'm not concerned about competition, I don't do this for money or for flipping purposes, and I'm happy to help other folks find cool stuff too.

Honestly I wasn't searching for a D'Agostino specifically...in fact I hadn't even really heard of the brand until I found this one and did a little digging. My thought process when I came across this one was basically "here's what looks like a really nice LP dirt cheap, clearly has some higher-end specs, seems like it could be decently old but in good shape", and so I pulled the trigger. With GC's return policy the very worst case scenario if the guitar was perfectly fine but didn't turn out to be a keeper is I would lose the $20 I spent on shipping. I just love a good mystery guitar, and more often than not what arrives ends up being a pretty killer score. I've probably returned about 7 guitars to GC over the course of 10+ years out of like 50 purchases. Not a bad track record, way more wins than fails.

Oftentimes when I come across something it's just from casual browsing so there isn't all that much strategy involved. Couple of times a week I just click into "guitars" there in the used section, sort "low price to high price", and go through a couple pages of what's available for 15 mins. The new stuff doesn't always come up when you use the "newest first" filter...sometimes new stuff pops up smack dab in the middle of a bunch of old listings. Couple of weeks ago I came across a USA Peavey Predator for $99 that way (ended up having like $200 in pickups installed), scored my 1990 Jackson Fusion Professional Pro that same way for under $200, couple of really great Agiles over the years for $100-$150, etc.

I do also perform specific searches for stuff I'm interested in fairly regularly - Kiesel, Suhr, Warmoth, or even specific woods I know I really like (koa, etc), and I frequently search terms like "custom" because as my username indicates I really enjoy hunting down the unique/one-off stuff. Another good thing to do is to search "miscellaneous", that often brings up partscasters and if you know what you're looking at you can sometimes score pretty big with high quality Warmoth stuff and other well built instruments for MIM Fender prices or lower.

The 3 Warmoths I have all came from GC used - $599, $499, and $350 respectively. They were probably about $2400, $1600, and $1800 to build up new.

You won't find a ton of killer deals on the "major" brands at GC used, like Gibson/PRS/Fender...but I'm not interested in those guitars and for what I'm looking for (custom guitars, unusual stuff that's very high quality but not very known, etc) GC is a legitimate goldmine.

Japanese made?! This keeps getting better and better!
Yep, sure does! I had a feeling it was MIJ based on the research I had done but there just isn't too much information out there on these at all. Pretty sure this one is from 1981. I've always been really impressed by Japanese guitars from this time period...owned a bunch of early 80s Aria Pro IIs in the past and they were really killer. Super glad I jumped on this one!

Last edited:

Trending Topics