• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

NGD: Antique Store Find

Crshngdstryr

Was on vacation in Maine this week and we decided to stop at an antique store in the middle of nowhere just to poke around. Found this 1957 Silvertone H-710 hidden on a back wall, forgotten and collecting dust. It’s been played hard, but all original. Walked out with it for virtually nothing. I’ll probably give it a neck reset to make it more playable but it doesn’t need anything else. The barn finds are still out there!

Anyone know anything about this model?

Attachments

skydog

Is there any visible alpha-numerics visible through the F-Holes? I believe those were maple bodies.

Crshngdstryr

Is there any visible alpha-numerics visible through the F-Holes? I believe those were maple bodies.
I didn’t see any, but I didn’t look very hard. It’s getting shipped to me later this week, so I’ll check when it comes in. The grain on the top looks like maple, so you’re probably right.

MayhemMike

I hit antique shops as a pastime. Went today as a matter of fact. I never find a guitar of any value such as the one you acquired. The shops are filled with clarinets, and trumpets. The only guitars are junk models from brands that nary a soul has heard of.

GibsonGeek

Cool score, congrats!

I bought what a local antique store owner called a mini display or toy guitar. I paid maybe 25 for it, can’t remember. It was a very old Gretsch ukulele in great condition.

indexless

Gold Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Wonderful, you should offer it to Eastman for a relic finish, really cool looking guitar, congrats!

billyguitar

Was on vacation in Maine this week and we decided to stop at an antique store in the middle of nowhere just to poke around. Found this 1957 Silvertone H-710 hidden on a back wall, forgotten and collecting dust. It’s been played hard, but all original. Walked out with it for virtually nothing. I’ll probably give it a neck reset to make it more playable but it doesn’t need anything else. The barn finds are still out there!

Anyone know anything about this model?
Good job on the Silvertone!! I've seen some that would be better for shooting an arrow with than to actually play. I once found a 1957 tweed Bassman in an antique store in Denton, TX, $125. They also had some small old Gibson amps but they were rough! This was pre-internet 1990s.

Crshngdstryr

Great find! My guitar radar is on everywhere I go.
Me too! I stopped at another antique store after I found my Silvertone, and lo and behold there was a 1957 Gibson L-48 in all original condition and super clean. Unfortunately for me, the store owners knew what they had, and had it listed for $2,500. I'm pretty happy with my cheap Silvertone score instead.

skydog

I went to that website you suggested. The seller's prices are beyond stratospheric. Most of those guitars sell for hundreds and sometimes thousands less than he's asking.
I only use it as a source of information. I have no interest in owning a Silvertone.

DrumBob

Platinum Supporting Member
I only use it as a source of information. I have no interest in owning a Silvertone.
That's a good thing. The guy selling those guitars has smoked too much crack. His prices are downright silly.

sickboy79

Very cool score! I've never thought about checking out an antique store for a vintage instrument. I'll have to keep that in mine.

Fitzer

Silver Supporting Member
Very cool score! I've never thought about checking out an antique store for a vintage instrument. I'll have to keep that in mine.
You’d be surprised what turns up in those places, but they’re not like pawnshops where guitars and stuff are at every single one. It’s a right place right time thing with antique stores.

billyguitar

L48s don't sound like $2,500, and they rarely go for more than $1,000. They have a pressed top and usually sound very thin. An L50 usually sounds much better but $2,500 would be a too much for one of those too! I have a 1935 L50. It's my favorite acoustic for playing on the porch. I like being able to adjust the bridge on an acoustic.

Trending Topics