NGD! AXL USA Bulldog

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Mark Paterson, Apr 17, 2015.

1. Mark Paterson

Mark Paterson Member

I've been curious about the USA Bulldog for quite awhile and finally decided to take the plunge on Ebay. I bought this guitar,gently used , for $400.00.
    I tend to buy "off brands" and generally wind up with a good playing, cool guitar that not everyone and their brother plays. Plus.. I love a good bargain.

This Bulldog has exceeded every expectation I had..INCREDIBLE playing and sounding guitar. Shockingly good. Every fret is perfectly filed,leveled and buffed. I haven't made any adjustments to the nut or action.
    The neck is a nice round "fattish" C shape, the fretboard edges are rounded perfectly...in fact.. every edge on the guitar is rounded just right. The body is 3 piece Mahogany and the neck is 1 piece Mahogany. Weighs about 6.5 Lbs.

According to AXL, the Bulldogs come with a Fralin P90..but this one supposedly has a Lollar P90. I've read online, some are equipped, with a Lollar ..but.. without tearing into the guitar,I'm not sure. What I am sure of is this...It sounds amazing. I've read/heard on YT that they can be super bright sounding but I think some folks are "tone challenged" and have no clue. It's a single P90 guitar and it's bright but it's not a one trick pony. I think it's perfect(again).

All the hardware is TonePros. I've never used their stuff but I can see why so many do. The guitar has a certain "reverby" guality that I thought I was imagining. But it has been confirmed by 2 other people. You can hear it acoustically or plugged in...just the tiniest bit of reverb on single notes. I'm going to attribute that to the TonePros Featherlight bridge.

I could go on and on about my new favorite guitar..it truly is...but I'll sum this up with this..It's a GREAT LP Jr. style guitar that won't break your wallet, sounds like a great Jr., and plays like a great Jr. Check 'em out if you like something a bit different but not.

some pics:
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
  2. SmilingDave

SmilingDave Supporting Member

Sweet looking guitar, congrats!

3. CyberFerret

CyberFerret Member

Congrats - I have heard lots about AXL guitar lately. Specifically this model, with the single P-90. I always wanted a single pickup P-90 guitar.

I was initially skeptical because of the low price of the guitar, but is sounds like from your review that the quality is better that could be perceived at this price point.

Enjoy your new guitar. I don't think AXL have a distributor here in Australia yet, so I might look at getting one shipped over from the US.

4. Mark Paterson

Mark Paterson Member

The guitar is a pretty damn simple...but...the attention to ALL the details is very impressive. Even the recessed jack cup and strap buttons are quality. AND...it's a tiny detail but important to me..the screw heads aren't mangled. Someone took their time assembling the guitar.

5. Mark Paterson

Mark Paterson Member

Here's a gut shot(what little there is)..cloth covered wire,CTS pots and Orange Drop cap..all nice and tidy. :)
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

6. Teletech

Teletech Member

Thats an impressive guitar for $400.
    Great review.
    Nice to see the control cavity and the attention to detail.
    I like it when companies put that much care into stuff people may never see. Shows they care about the product.

7. eGGz

eGGz Member

Mississippi Queen !!!!

8. archey

archey Member

Nice! I've been wondering about those.

9. Elduderino73

Elduderino73 Member

Very nice.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
  10. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

11. dumbell78

dumbell78 Member

Sydney by way of Muddy Water Land (Chicago)
    I have always wanted to grab one of these, never got around to it. Lotta guitar for the $$, congrats.