• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

NGD: Bass VI

npfrs

Why is it in the guitar section vs the bass section? I plan on using it as a guitar, of course, including a lot of 5th-fret capo action for some baritone-esque tones.

starfish

Very cool. I like the block inlays. Nice strap too, btw. Great color next to the Olympic White.

I have a 2006 CS version in the same color but dot neck, based on the 1962 model I believe. I think 2006 was the first year Fender offered the VI as a regular CS model. Mine also has a quarter sawn neck. The body has such a rich resonant sound that it is quite loud acoustically. I like it so much I sold my vintage VI to cash out at the top of the market. No regrets.

If you plan to use the VI for baritone guitar, the strangle switch (lowest switch) will be your friend. I use this a lot when playing over multiple looped layers of guitar. The Bass VI is such a versatile instrument. It also has a great beefy normal bass guitar sound if you are laying down a bass track. I plug mine direct into a Great River preamp and it sounds like my favorite 70s bass sounds.

Last edited:

npfrs

NICE!! I really want to get one of these!
Do it!

Congrats bro! I saw one like this in my local shop. It looks awesome!
See previous reply.

wow! How does it play and sound?
Amazing. Admittedly I don't have a bass amp nor do I really plan on using it as a bass, except in the rare recording instance. I've tried it through 3 of my amps and it kills through them all (Dr. Z Maz 38/2x10, JCM 2000/4x12, 2061x/4x12gb)

Very cool. I like the block inlays. Nice strap too, btw. Great color next to the Olympic White.

I have a 2006 CS version in the same color but dot neck, based on the 1962 model I believe. I think 2006 was the first year Fender offered the VI as a regular CS model. Mine also has a quarter sawn neck. The body has such a rich resonant sound that it is quite loud acoustically. I like it so much I sold my vintage VI to cash out at the top of the market. No regrets.

If you plan to use the VI for baritone guitar, the strangle switch (lowest switch) will be your friend. I use this a lot when playing over multiple looped layers of guitar. The Bass VI is such a versatile instrument. It also has a great beefy normal bass guitar sound if you are laying down a bass track. I plug mine direct into a Great River preamp and it sounds like my favorite 70s bass sounds.
I plan on using it for looping as well - I'm looking forward to testing it out!

I'm thinking of incorporating a Sansamp into my rig specifically for this but, for now, it's sounding good through the above amps.

dshobe

Rocky Mountain Way By The Atlantic
Gold Supporting Member
Tried one of these out in a shop a few weeks back. Loved it. Next on the list, congratulations OP!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

cratz2

Silver Supporting Member
Definitely the cheapest instrument for which I currently have the hots! :love:

wingwalker

Fuzzy Guitars
Of course!

You can use lighter strings (14-68 or so) and tune it B to B and it's very useful, more useful than E to E in some situations. I keep my 30 inch Bari tuned B to B and it's killer. Great for overdubs and alternate voicing parts.

Have fun!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

npfrs

Got it back today, plays awesome! I can't wait to settle into the new jam space and put it through the paces. I did some minor cosmetic "mods" to flesh it out nicely. New knobs, Grolsch strap-locks, gonna slap a sticker on the back, haha.

I want to replace the pickgaurd with a white one as well, make it my "Snow" guitar.

Top Bottom