NGD but problem...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by megaboogie, May 29, 2019.

1. jwguitar

jwguitar Supporting Member

You said the key word why you should keep it. Excellent fret work. That is the measure to judge any guitar; that and the sound. Bad fretwork (not fret-sprout) is a pain and expensive to fix. Everything else on a guitar can be replaced.

2. willyboy

willyboy Member

It's pretty simple folks, it's an 8 yr old guitar with some fret sprout that's cracked the finish on top of the fret ends. It's not uncommon.

Bob Pollock and HERSCHEL like this.
  3. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

I have repaired that type of thing many times.

What you can do to make it invisible or close to it, is to wick water thin superglue
    under the finish in those bad areas. Just barely touch it to the area and it will wick
    itself all the way throughout the blemish.

Once it adheres, it makes the blemish nearly unnoticeable.

4. megaboogie

megaboogie Supporting Member

Hmm I might give it a try. Any type of thin superglue will do?

5. BrokenRomeo

BrokenRomeo Supporting Member

If I was you, I would have a competent tech with some finish experience fix those areas if using thin superglue...for $100 you can probably have a quality job done, you don't want to have a superglue accident and cause additional finish problems...

6. megaboogie

Yeah that thought crossed my mind too.
    I actually took it to a repair guy yesterday he said just play it as it would be alot of work and $ to fix, never mentioned the glue method though. Maybe I will go find another one who has an idea.

Last edited: May 31, 2019
  7. BrokenRomeo

BrokenRomeo Supporting Member

Yeah, I would call around and tell them what the issue is...the fix won't be perfect, but they should be able to make it substantially better...perfect fix would involve refinishing the neck, but that would probably not be worth the cost, unless you really love the guitar and plan on keeping it forever.

8. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Man... since the seller didn't disclose that ask for a discount and keep it! Not a guitar I'd buy... *BUT* its a kick ass guitar. Keep the damn thing!

Get enough to have a refinish done and decide if you want to. But the key is that guy didn't keep it properly humidified and I'd state that in your request. Electric guitars need to have humidity maintained just like acoustics. "Fret sprout" is the most common symptom.

9. Warmy

Warmy Supporting Member

Was this disclosed during the sale?

10. megaboogie

No, I asked prior to buying it and the seller said minimum playing wear with only one tiny ding which he provided me a photo of.
    Granted he is a pawn shop/ebay seller, he probably didn't thoroughly inspect it.

11. megaboogie

So I decided to keep the guitar.
    Although it's not as much as I expected, the seller agreed to give me partial refund
    I really can't feel the issue while playing. None of the frets are poking out it's just a cosmetic issue.
    Besides the issue, the guitar is actually in excellent condition. The fret has 99.99% life left, plays like a fresh NOS guitar.
    I suspect the owner of the guitar was a collector. He probably neglected it causing for the issue to happen and later pawned it for money.
    This Snakebyte just sounds crushing thru my rig and so easy to play. You can say I am able to overlook the finish issue easier now than when I first saw it.

Thank you guys for all your help and feedback!

ant_riv likes this.
  12. Warmy

Warmy Supporting Member

Totally unacceptable.

I’ve said it before in other threads - that dude should be exposed.

Minimum play wear...WTF.

Sorry that happened to you man.

13. megaboogie

It's all good, it's not like he was trying to scam me.
    The seller did apologize right away and emailed me a paid return shipping label.

14. chrisjw5

chrisjw5 Member

Solid move. I try not to let cosmetics get in the way of something that feels and sound great. Especially if you got a good deal on it. Play it and enjoy it.

15. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

If you dont have any experience with that type of thing, the brush on superglue
    may be the best thing.

Since it is a brush you can control it better, and it would be hard to mess it up.

Just keep some acetone handy (nail polish remover), which you can use to wipe
    up any mess-up you might make.

16. C-4

C-4 Member

I love Red Bank, NJ! Florida now Europe later

My exact feelings also.
    Did the seller make you aware of this situation with the neck?

If not, ask yourself how much it would cost to have the neck refinished and add that to the cost of the guitar plus any shipping, if needed.

17. superstratjunky

superstratjunky Member