• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

NGD: Cabronita Thinline

JohnK24

Silver Supporting Member
I've liked the cabronita concept since I saw the custom shop videos and then seeing Urban and Mayer playing them. When the MIM Cabronita came out, I thought, if they'd EVER do a thinline, I'd be all over it.

So, on Saturday my local shop (nstuff music) put up this video of the Shoreline Gold...I had to have THAT guitar.

I love this axe, it does every tone I want. The neck pup is really unique...tele tones meet P90 and the bridge, just a great growl when you dig in. The middle position has got a nice chime and a touch of that Gretsch tone. The pups really respond well to volume knob adjustments and sound great with my Xotic AC and EP boosters. Fit and finish are top notch and this thing is feather light...6 pounds 6 oz. I had nstuff music set it up with .010s and they gave it a great setup for action and intonation is spot on (Dave Lewis, Reb Beach's tech works there and did the setup). I've read all about the bridge alignment issues and truthfully, you can't hear any issues. The high E on the bridge pup is off center by maybe 1/16", the rest of the strings are spaced right on.

Neck is a medium C shape and the frets are perfect.

Future mod will be to change the tuner knobs to pearl white like the CS Cabs...other than that, she's staying stock.

So..some glamour shots (The Penguins decal is on the pickguard plastic...after tonight's blow out to the Bruins, the decal is coming off..:( )

Some pics...

Last edited:

kracdown

Custom User Title
Platinum Supporting Member
sweet! that video actually sounds sick. I love these things. Congrats.

hiz99

A lot of people change the bridge because they say it isn't the right size. How is yours?

JohnK24

Silver Supporting Member
A lot of people change the bridge because they say it isn't the right size. How is yours?

the high E is about a 1/16" off over the pole pieces, all other strings are fine. Doesn't affect the tone at all.

JohnK24

Silver Supporting Member
After another hour of playing last night (I gave up on the Pens as the Bruins were dismantling my team, sticker will come off the pickguard tonight), I am really happy with these pickups. I can get more twang on the Cab's bridge pup then on my Baja tele. The neck pup really does many things well. AC Booster into compressor I had Trey/Phish tones going. Clean the neck pup sounds like a fat tele pup, with a nice top end. Got some nice jazzier tones with my EP booster on the neck too. The middle position is killer for r&b and soul comping with a touch of my amps OD channel (light grind). The volume knob really works well too, able to roll down some gain and it cleans up well.

Overall, this little guitar is such a sexy hot rod that can be tamed when you want.

Kiwi

Silver Supporting Member
Congrats, John - I always liked the idea of Gretschy pickups in a Tele type body. Twang on! (and cool color, too). =K

dirk_benedict

Silver Supporting Member
I have a part-o-caster Cabronita that I love.

Nice axe!

(def get rid of that Pens sticker tho, even though I still think it will be a long series) :^)

jota

Fortunately they don't offer it with a rosewood board. I'd be in trouble if they did!

Congrats.
It looks great.

JohnK24

Silver Supporting Member
(def get rid of that Pens sticker tho, even though I still think it will be a long series) :^)
Oh the sticker and pickguard protective plastic comes off tonight, prior to game 3. I surely hope it's a long series, the Pens are no where near as bad as they've played the past 2 games.

Rupe

Cool guitar...congrats from another disgruntled Pens fan ;)

How far "North of Pittsburgh" are you? Clarion here.

BlueCajun

Silver Supporting Member
Very nice. You mention the neck being a medium C. Is it about the same thickness as a Standard or American Standard Tele? The reason I ask is that the non-Thinline MIM Cabronitas are listed as having a modern C. But I've read quite a few reviews stating the necks are a tad thicker than the modern C on a Standard/American Standard Tele.

JohnK24

Silver Supporting Member
Very nice. You mention the neck being a medium C. Is it about the same thickness as a Standard or American Standard Tele? The reason I ask is that the non-Thinline MIM Cabronitas are listed as having a modern C. But I've read quite a few reviews stating the necks are a tad thicker than the modern C on a Standard/American Standard Tele.
It falls in between my amer. stand. Strat and Baja. Honestly unless its a big neck like the Baja, Vintage 52 or vee...it doesn't matter to me.

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom