NGD Cabronita

filtersweep

I picked this thing up used- locally at a bargain basement price. The previous owner had a horrible setup- strings hitting the neck pickup- unplayable. I had only read about these- never played one. After I set it up to my liking, not only does it play great, it sounds great. I had to slam the pickups as low as they would go- which is not very low at all, given their design. The issues I have heard about the Fidel-itron pickups don't seem to be worth bothering with-- these sound great as is. As a caveat, a set of TV Jones would cost about what I paid for the guitar.

The Mexican neck is great- exactly like my '72 Deluxe RI-- except with a proper Tele headstock. Also, despite the '72 also having a HH configuration, there isn't as much tonal overlap as I feared. The other guitar covers more of a classic rock tone a bit better, IMHO- which is good, because I was looking for something a bit different. I might change the bridge- I have the same one on the '72 RI, but I am not exactly found of how rough it is.

The only thing bugging me was the single ply pickguard. None of my guitars have these, and I felt it looked cheap. I found a 5 ply black one from CreamTone. They seem like an awesome company, it was quickly delivered and added.

BEFORE:
CThelfG.jpg

DURING:
zQ1Smux.jpg

What the heck is up with that route? Makes no sense to me.

AFTER:
lzXKLVG.jpg

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
I found the difference between the Fidelitron and TV Jones Power torn to be remarkable. Worth the money.

I will add that the filtertron design features dual rows of adjustable poke pieces that go a long way in fine tuning a balanced and airy punch.

Steve Hotra

Silver Supporting Member
Congrats!
I own a Ash White MIM Cabronita. Its a old school rock and roll machine.
I like the stock fidltrons and see no reason to swap them out.
I put a hardtail bridge to help with intonation.

LTigh

Congrats. Cabronitas are the bomb-diggity.

I recommend the hipshot bridge. It SHOULD be a direct drop-in depending on the model year. Solves a lot of the set-up issues, including the wonky string spacing and action issues.

I got mine in surf green, decided it needed a pearloid pickguard.

IMG_20161226_114346249_zpsa9u2xztj.jpg

TV Jones will have to wait, decided I needed another guitar from Japan-land before the new CITES rules went into effect.

gtrdave

Very nice!
I almost pulled the trigger on one of these last year as my local store had a leftover at a discount, but I opted for a more traditional Tele in the end.
They are very cool guitars, though.

Chippertheripper

Silver Supporting Member
I'm in with a S.
DFD9AA28-E74A-4A94-9B01-46ACD7894812_zpsza9v298c.jpg

It has a solid black original fuzz strap that I leave on.
Since I leave it at work, she sees tons of duty, a couple hours a day from me, and who knows who fingerblasts her while I'm not there.
Great piece.

Ugly Bunny

...but I opted for a more traditional Tele in the end.
They are very cool guitars, though.
Yeah, they're cool, but a tele they ain't. They kinda look like a tele and feel like one, but the tone is about as far from tele as it gets. Luckily, my James Valentine covers that territory :)

T92780

In regards to OP's comment on pickguard; When I gave my Luthier all parts to assemble/setup my La Cab build, including pickguard, upon picking up guitar at his shop, he left PG off, thought it looked better without, or if he made a custom Chrome PG. I decided to keep it off and never looked back.

T9 La Cab Build by t92780 t92780, on Flickr

T9 La Cab Back by t92780 t92780, on Flickr

Last edited:

Chippertheripper

Silver Supporting Member
In regards to OP's comment on pickguard; When I gave my Luthier all parts to assemble/setup my La Cab build, including pickguard, upon picking up guitar at his shop, he said I couldn't put PG it on, looks IMO so much better without, but I can put it on in 1-minute...your guitar, your call, so I decided to keep off. He wants to hand make a Chrome PG for it, but I still have left as you see.

T9 La Cab Build by t92780 t92780, on Flickr

T9 La Cab Back by t92780 t92780, on Flickr

The 2 pup cabs have a rout under the pickguard for the wire. It's not blank like yours.

BADHAK

Yeah, they're cool, but a tele they ain't. They kinda look like a tele and feel like one, but the tone is about as far from tele as it gets. Luckily, my James Valentine covers that territory :)
How would you describe the tone ?? More Gretsch ish, or LP Jnr/Special (P90's or humbuckerish)

I might be getting a Cabronita this week and I've never played one before.

BADHAK

I found the difference between the Fidelitron and TV Jones Power torn to be remarkable. Worth the money.

I will add that the filtertron design features dual rows of adjustable poke pieces that go a long way in fine tuning a balanced and airy punch.

I might be getting a Cabronita with Powertrons this week. How would you describe them ?? Have you compared them to humbuckers like a Pearly Gates ??

sfarnell

Silver Supporting Member
I picked this thing up used- locally at a bargain basement price. The previous owner had a horrible setup- strings hitting the neck pickup- unplayable. I had only read about these- never played one. After I set it up to my liking, not only does it play great, it sounds great. I had to slam the pickups as low as they would go- which is not very low at all, given their design. The issues I have heard about the Fidel-itron pickups don't seem to be worth bothering with-- these sound great as is. As a caveat, a set of TV Jones would cost about what I paid for the guitar.

The Mexican neck is great- exactly like my '72 Deluxe RI-- except with a proper Tele headstock. Also, despite the '72 also having a HH configuration, there isn't as much tonal overlap as I feared. The other guitar covers more of a classic rock tone a bit better, IMHO- which is good, because I was looking for something a bit different. I might change the bridge- I have the same one on the '72 RI, but I am not exactly found of how rough it is.

The only thing bugging me was the single ply pickguard. None of my guitars have these, and I felt it looked cheap. I found a 5 ply black one from CreamTone. They seem like an awesome company, it was quickly delivered and added.

BEFORE:
CThelfG.jpg

DURING:
zQ1Smux.jpg

What the heck is up with that route? Makes no sense to me.

AFTER:
lzXKLVG.jpg

Nice! Congratulations, I bet it sounds great. I think the Cabronita is an underrated but fantastic guitar. The ones MIM are fun to modify too. I bought a MIM Cabronita Thinline, pulled the neck and replaced it with my favorite Fender neck, a "U" shaped one from an AVRI '52 Tele. I then replaced the bridge pickup with a Lollar Chicago Steel and the neck pickup with a vintage Guyatone gold foil. I added a volume pot for a second pickup and there is no tone pot. The control cavity on the back was enlarged like one on a Gibson to accommodate the extra volume pot.

It's the best partscaster that I ever put together and is currently one of my favorites. Sounds great clean and overdriven, with and without a slide, and I can feel a little air coming from the F hole when it gets loud....kind of hints at wanting to feedback a little. Pretty cool, so cool I'm looking for another MIM Cabronita.

DSC00006_zps2uwd4wxf.jpg

Trending Topics

Top Bottom