• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

NGD - checking another one off of the bucket list

atallen

After about 15 years of wanting one but never acting, I can finally check the older LP Custom off of my bucket list.

This 1974 was A/B'd against a '68, an '82, and an '84. Though my dream has always been a '68-'72, the '68 was out of my price range and it really didn't stack up to this one. The neck is thinner than I would have hoped for, but still feels great. I am completely enamored with my first LP!

Last edited:

deejaid

Silver Supporting Member
I don't know what the others looked like but I think you made the right choice. That is a beauty. Congrats!

kev

IMHO, it gets no more rock and roll than a LP Custom dressed in black! Congratulations!

icr

How does your serial number compare on the serial number dating sites. Mine and some other 1974s have oddball serial numbers. For 20 years I thought mine was a 1972, until I cleaned the solder off the back of the pots and saw 1974 date codes.

atallen

Thanks all. The others were black except for the '82, which was Wine Red. My dream has always been a black one, so it automatically went to the back of the line, though it was great. This one is actually cleaner than what I've been hoping for. The only significant spots of wear are pictured above in the hardware and the one little spot against the binding where someone's arm has rubbed. I need to put it on a scale, but it's actually not bad for a Custom, IMO. The serial number and the two pots that can be read do all point to '74.

I hope you're a member of the My Les Paul forums. They have a long Black Beauty picture thread going over there.

Black Beauty has always been a bucket list / holy grail guitar for me too. Someday I'll get one.

custom53

I also got another one of my bucket list.. Although I'm not sure if I will be keeping it.. It just isn't calling my Name..

2015 PRS Custom 24 with a Floyd Rose..
But I will probably go back on my Quest for a Red Gibson Les Paul JR, double cut, with a P90 or even 2 P90's.. I have never owned one but have always wanted one.. It will be slightly newer than a real 1959.. Can't afford one of those..

Trending Topics

Top Bottom