NGD: Chris Mitchell Guitars (CMG) Ashlee

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Matt300ZXT, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Matt300ZXT

Matt300ZXT Member

This is the guitar I posted about a few days ago, about Guitar Center not knowing how the used business works. It originally listed, used, at $1049.99 (retarded, I know). They had dropped it to $949.99, still used, and still retarded. They had the guitar on the wall since May of last year, so it's been there a long time. When I went in the other day, the manager didn't seem too interested in listening to how much they are brand new, and his bottom dollar was $750 out the door. I told him I'd think on it, and I left.

After looking around at new ones, used ones, etc, I figured for a clean guitar I had actually seen in person and liked, and came with an upgraded hard case (a really nice, new looking Gator Les Paul case), I figured I'd make my offer. It was substantially lower than the $750 out the door price he had given me. Well, needless to say they accepted and I went and picked it up this afternoon.

After a good thorough cleaning of the fret board (which didn't really need it but I did it anyway), and some nice Pump Polish on there that's safe for nitrocellulose finishes, I restrang her with some 9s in Eb, adjusted the action and tail piece to my liking, tuned it, and adjusted the intonation. It plays pretty well but there are a few sharp'ish fret edges, I'm sure a good set up guy could clean up the frets for me.

Here are some pictures I snapped for you gentlemen:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. HTSMetal

HTSMetal Member

Awesome axe. I played one once at a local Mom and Pop store and was very impressed by it -- had a stripped down, broken-in feel that was very comfortable. Enjoy it!

3. solteroblues

solteroblues Member

Congrats! I had one custom built for me a couple of years ago. Nice guitar, especially for the price. I sold it for more than I paid for it...

4. Matt300ZXT

Matt300ZXT Member

Well some interesting info about this particular Ashlee...I went to the Guitar Center and got a hot rodded Duncan set (JB and Jazz) because the neck pickup just sounded a bit muddy and way bass heavy through moderate gain, and some Gibson pots since the ones in it are cheap import ones. Well I found out the guitar doesn't have stock pickups, it has DiMarzio DP211/212 Eric Johnson signature pickups. That's pretty cool I guess, even though they aren't my cup of tea. They sound ok, but I wanted something a little hotter.

Unfortunately, the tab on the top the knob sticks onto broke off on the tone pot by trying to squeeze it in just a hair so the knob would fit, and the volume pot doesn't fit in the cavity cleanly so I wasted $22 on Gibson pots. Also, the pickup route wasn't done big enough to fit the larger tab on the Duncan pickups that the height screw threads into, so those have to go back. The DiMarzios went right back in, got it restrung up with fresh strings (even though the old ones were barely 24 hours old) so I could go jam on it. Well...dammit if I didn't have some static and hum that wasn't there before...so I had to take the NEW strings right back off and toss 'em and redo the whole wiring harness to make sure I got every solder joint clean, and all that taken care of. I put a new set on it....again, and even though it's 1 am here, I was able to at least run it quietly enough to make noise through the amp. The 3 way is wired right, the volumes and tones adjust the sound, and I didn't hear any unusual humming or anything. I'll find out tomorrow whether or not there is no static. But dammit, if there is, I'm just returning this thing. Cheap pots, cheap 3 way, cheap wire and I'll be damned if I'm going to take it to someone and let them redo it all over again just to have pickups in it I don't really care for...especially after I've wasted $45 on it in strings and pots that I ended up not being able to use. Here's to hoping it works!

I'll take these Duncans back and order a set of DiMarzios I like (they have that small triangle shaped tab so they'll fit) in the pickup rout and order some quality name brand pots, 3 way switch and input jack and a little bit of good hookup wire and redo the whole thing with heat shrink and all that, like it should have been initially.

5. clay49

clay49 Silver Supporting Member

Great guitars. I completely overhauled mine:

[​IMG]

But, I'm getting ready to list it in the emporium because I just landed an "bucket list" Gene Baker B1 59 from 2001!

6. Fussbudget

Fussbudget Member

I have an Ashlee as well and love it.
    I have number 275 and play it a lot.It was a special order with a P90 in the neck and humbucker in the bridge.
    Have swapped to a Lindy Fralin P 90 and a Lindy Fralin/RS true 60 humbucker. I installed an RSguitarworks pot upgrade kit and vintage PIO caps.
    The guitar sounds thick and huge.
    http://s247.photobucket.com/user/scat52/media/004 334x500 2.jpg.html